Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

True. The top 8 are consistently there, and the top 16 (half) are the only ones with a shot. Bottom half qbs with playoff births are few and far between.

By my assessment, we have a guy with a bottom half ceiling, 17-20th at best.

And that is the crux of our disagreement. You have made up your mind, I still think the jury is out.

And that is the crux of our disagreement. You have made up your mind, I still think the jury is out.

The jury is definitely still out, and I would be super happy to eat my hat and watch EJ become a top passer.

Mine is a prognostication based on his college ball, his skill set, and his current development arc, certainly not last year's injury shortened season.

Also, as stated earlier, since he is not an industrial equipment assembly process, nor is he created from HTML, I am not an expert. Just a keyboard GM.

:)

mostly my argument is that IF my assessment is correct, spending 2 first round picks on 1 wide receiver was a very silly move because without a better QB, it doesn't really matter how good everyone else is.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

The jury is definitely still out, and I would be super happy to eat my hat and watch EJ become a top passer.

Mine is a prognostication based on his college ball, his skill set, and his current development arc, certainly not last year's injury shortened season.

Also, as stated earlier, since he is not an industrial equipment assembly process, nor is he created from HTML, I am not an expert. Just a keyboard GM.

:)

mostly my argument is that IF my assessment is correct, spending 2 first round picks on 1 wide receiver was a very silly move because without a better QB, it doesn't really matter how good everyone else is.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but I fall back to one prevailing thought; I have been very happy with what Whaley and Marrone have been doing. Whether Marrone is a great coach or not is also still open to debate but him and Whaley are good football people. They have obviously put all their chips in on Manuel. I have to believe that they did that from a position of confidence and no offense, right now my bets on them.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but I fall back to one prevailing thought; I have been very happy with what Whaley and Marrone have been doing. Whether Marrone is a great coach or not is also still open to debate but him and Whaley are good football people. They have obviously put all their chips in on Manuel. I have to believe that they did that from a position of confidence and no offense, right now my bets on them.

I just want to point out that this is very very similar to what drane was saying about the previous gm/coach.

I am not saying there is not different ways to build a winner in the nfl. But no position has more of an effect on other positions the way qb does. As qb performance increases less is needed across the board to win

Edited by drnkirishone

I just want to point out that this is very very similar to what drane was saying about the previous gm/coach.

That was my first thought as well :lol:

My concern with Marrone is that the difference between the NCAA and the NFL are far more drastic than any other sport. Juniors are closer to NHL, NCAAB is closer to NBA, A and AAA are closer to MLB. There is almost nothing that transfers from one to the other in football, which is probably why only one two* men have been successful in both, and they both ran their college programs like Pro Teams.

*As much hatred as I have for that slimball from USC, I have to recognize his success. I wonder if there's something to the fact that he and Johnson were both terrible human beings.

That was my first thought as well :lol:

My concern with Marrone is that the difference between the NCAA and the NFL are far more drastic than any other sport. Juniors are closer to NHL, NCAAB is closer to NBA, A and AAA are closer to MLB. There is almost nothing that transfers from one to the other in football, which is probably why only one two* men have been successful in both, and they both ran their college programs like Pro Teams.

*As much hatred as I have for that slimball from USC, I have to recognize his success. I wonder if there's something to the fact that he and Johnson were both terrible human beings.

My concern with Marrone was his plan to install a hurry up offense with two rookie qbs. What does that say about his coaching judgement?

Just got back from watching the game against Carolina. Maybe it was the bike ride back home on a perfect night jammin' to B itches Brew, but I have very little to complain about EJ. I really think our offense is going to be fine. My only concern is what other teams are going to do against our cornerbacks.

Edited by SwampD

My concern with Marrone was his plan to install a hurry up offense with two rookie qbs. What does that say about his coaching judgement?

Plus the fact he had a rookie OC, who decided to be the QB Coach as well, to go along with his rookie QBs

Edited by BRAWNDO

But putting everything on EJ this summer -- ie not bringing in another QB -- was, like the Watkins trade, also motivated -- and maybe primarily motivated -- by the desperate need to prove themselves to the new owners. The "pure football decision" factor is really distorted, IMHO.

I am not saying there is not different ways to build a winner in the nfl. But no position has more of an effect on other positions the way qb does. As qb performance increases less is needed across the board to win

I agree on both points.

Just got back from watching the game against Carolina. Maybe it was the bike ride back home on a perfect night jammin' to B itches Brew, but I have very little to complain about EJ. I really think our offense is going to be fine. My only concern is what other teams are going to do against our cornerbacks.

Good to hear!

Anyone else who watched all of EJ's plays feel the same way? (not challenging, just asking.)

Plus the fact he had a rookie OC, who decided to be the QB Coach as well, to go along with his rookie QBs

Both of these.

But putting everything on EJ this summer -- ie not bringing in another QB -- was, like the Watkins trade, also motivated -- and maybe primarily motivated -- by the desperate need to prove themselves to the new owners. The "pure football decision" factor is really distorted, IMHO.

I agree on both points.

Good to hear!

Anyone else who watched all of EJ's plays feel the same way? (not challenging, just asking.)

Both of these.

I understand the points about the hurry up but playing devil's advocate, the theory behind it is to allow the "rookie" to not have to over think and instead use his athletic skills. In its hey day, the K gun ran about four plays with different variations.

It really is a simplified offense but like most systems, they are cutting edge when they are successful and amateurish when they fail.

There's only one QB from the 2013 class that I would hitch my wagon to -- Mike Glennon. I think he's going to be a star. I thought he was the best QB in the class (although I was pulling for other guys late because he was no longer in the conversation for the Bills), and he shows the most. I have absolutely no idea how the Bucs decided to get away from him as the immediate starter, even though they're saying he is their franchise QB.

Just 13 games and he posted 2,608 yards, 19 TDs, 9 INTs and just below 60% completions. He will be the long-term starting in Tampa by the end of this season, again. My biggest draw with him is that he LOOKS like he has it. His accuracy took a hit with scouts coming out of college, but he had a record-breaking number of drops among his receivers. A lot of them were directly on the hands in stride and just bad drops.

(Manuel's 13 games stats would be 2,500, 14 TDs, 12 INTs and 59%)

Edited by Tankalicious

Bills fans named drunkest in the NFL by fan that visited all 32 stadiums in 2013

The nostalgia made me a little poetic...

you people wouldn't believe. Pintos on fire off the shoulder of Orchard Park Rd. Urine streams glittering in the stands by the field house gate. All these moments lost in regulation time. Like field goals in vain.

Thought it was interesting that Fred Jax was basically saying it's B.S. that the players have to "practice" with another team for 2 days and then play an actual game the following day.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/8/12/5994195/fred-jackson-not-happy-about-joint-practices

I think for a vet like Fred, this sort of schedule is too much wear and tear. I wonder if the NFLPA will try to corral this sort of scheduling.

Thought it was interesting that Fred Jax was basically saying it's B.S. that the players have to "practice" with another team for 2 days and then play an actual game the following day.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/8/12/5994195/fred-jackson-not-happy-about-joint-practices

I think for a vet like Fred, this sort of schedule is too much wear and tear. I wonder if the NFLPA will try to corral this sort of scheduling.

This sort of scheduling happens precisely because the NFLPA put a limit on actual practice time in pads and two-a-days in the last round of collective bargaining.

This sort of scheduling happens precisely because the NFLPA put a limit on actual practice time in pads and two-a-days in the last round of collective bargaining.

Interesting. I also sorta loved following the thing on Twitter -- the Bills' in-house guy Chris Brown (who I think is a good guy--he's just the team's "reporter") was posting stuff like "hey, everyone on the team is fired up for the practices with the Steelers!" and then F-Jax is at the same time telling GR's Buscaglia "nuh-uh - to heck with that noise."

I know this is a hockey forum but I am kinda surprised we don't have a NFL Fantasy League.

set one up!

Interesting. I also sorta loved following the thing on Twitter -- the Bills' in-house guy Chris Brown (who I think is a good guy--he's just the team's "reporter") was posting stuff like "hey, everyone on the team is fired up for the practices with the Steelers!" and then F-Jax is at the same time telling GR's Buscaglia "nuh-uh - to heck with that noise."

I did notice this. I think 3 or 4 guys that Chris Brown interviewed were pumped, and that was the extent of who he talked to about it (i.e. Manuel, Woods, Hogan), but WGR or someone else interviewed Freddy, and noted that he was just extremely grumpy Sunday when he made the comments.

I did notice this. I think 3 or 4 guys that Chris Brown interviewed were pumped, and that was the extent of who he talked to about it (i.e. Manuel, Woods, Hogan), but WGR or someone else interviewed Freddy, and noted that he was just extremely grumpy Sunday when he made the comments.

I think it is no accident that Brown spoke to the players he did about the Steeler practices. Likewise for WGR.