Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

We don't know if he is "often injured" or not, because he's had only one season, but I agree that the Bills should have brought in a vet backup. I also would have used a late pick on a QB.

For a team so deep at other positions like RB, it's cause for concern at how vulnerable they have left themselves at QB.

He is a marketing genius and will almost assuredly be retained by TP and/or Golisano.

I believe this to be true.

In what capacity, though? Surely not in any form of major control. Head of marketing is fine with me. President? No.

Fair. The new owner may even take the title of president (which Ralph held until quite recently, yes?) -- or have some business designee be his #1 in that regard (a la Ted Black).

But I think Brandon will stay on as a chief officer of some kind. COO maybe.

Edited by That Aud Smell

In what capacity, though? Surely not in any form of major control. Head of marketing is fine with me. President? No.

I have no issue with him being President. I would assume that someone may be hired to be Vice President in charge of football if they determine Whaley isn't ready for that.

I have no issue with him being President. I would assume that someone may be hired to be Vice President in charge of football if they determine Whaley isn't ready for that.

Of course Whaley isn't ready for that. Even if the team is successful this year, he JUST got the GM title. I believe the team should move Brandon into a financial/marketing role ONLY. If he doesn't want it then bye. Get a legitimate president who knows more than just marketing.

A lot of people say that Brandon isn't involved in football decisions so he can't be held accountable, but I think that's inaccurate (I'm not saying you said it, but I know that's a big defense for him). People forget he was acting GM at one point in time. And his decision to move two home games a year to Toronto was a COMPLETE failure. It was a monetary decision that hurt the football team and its fans.

Of course Whaley isn't ready for that. Even if the team is successful this year, he JUST got the GM title. I believe the team should move Brandon into a financial/marketing role ONLY. If he doesn't want it then bye. Get a legitimate president who knows more than just marketing.

A lot of people say that Brandon isn't involved in football decisions so he can't be held accountable, but I think that's inaccurate (I'm not saying you said it, but I know that's a big defense for him). People forget he was acting GM at one point in time. And his decision to move two home games a year to Toronto was a COMPLETE failure. It was a monetary decision that hurt the football team and its fans.

A) I would disagree that Toronto was a complete failure. It infused the organization with a tremendous amount of cash and I think this last year was the only year it hurt the team from a competition stand point.

B) It was only one regular season game per year

C) I think Brandon has earned the right to be a big part of the decision making process up to and including picking the person to lead the football department. This is big business and while the acting GM thing didn't work out, he had worked his way to the top and pretty quickly and successfully

A) I would disagree that Toronto was a complete failure. It infused the organization with a tremendous amount of cash and I think this last year was the only year it hurt the team from a competition stand point.

B) It was only one regular season game per year

C) I think Brandon has earned the right to be a big part of the decision making process up to and including picking the person to lead the football department. This is big business and while the acting GM thing didn't work out, he had worked his way to the top and pretty quickly and successfully

Oops. My bad on saying it was two a year.

There was monetary gain, but it put a damper on the players and the fans. Somethings are worth the cost.

I just don't think he has earned anything. The franchise should be wiped clean if this season is a large failure and new ownership is in place. Brandon can be moved to a separate role. The team hasn't had success since he started moving up the ranks. I don't believe he's a part of the solution, and he DEFINITELY shouldn't be appointing decision makers on the football side.

He is a marketing genius and will almost assuredly be retained by TP and/or Golisano.

The term "marketing genius" is preposterous. Figuring out that you should regionalize the franchise isn't a genius move... it is a common sense move. I consider a marketing genius to be someone like David Ogilvy or John Brinkley or Steve Jobs.

That said, he will be and probably should be retained.

The term "marketing genius" is preposterous. Figuring out that you should regionalize the franchise isn't a genius move... it is a common sense move. I consider a marketing genius to be someone like David Ogilvy or John Brinkley or Steve Jobs.

One thing I learned through my 54 years, you don't qualify someone's success. He has sold hope thorough an outrageous, by NFL standards, playoff drought. In addition, simplicity can, in itself, by genius and anyone that's been through some of America's biggest corporations will tell you, common sense is by no means a given.

I agree with the first part of your post and honestly don't mind either way if he's retained or booted out by the new owner. It's not hard to sell football in WNY and we still can't sell out games at the end of the season. Profitability has been all but guaranteed thanks to (previously) having an original owner with no loan/interest payments and having an older paid off stadium with money from the county to help with repairs, maintenance, and renovations. The team was guaranteed huge revenue streams due to revenue sharing/tv contracts and we almost never spent to the salary cap since Donohoe got his pink slip. It's not hard to sell tickets to games early in the season when the weather is great and even the Bills are still not eliminated from playoff contention, especially with some of the cheapest tickets in the league year after year and the great tailgating atmosphere. Throw in the constant threat of moving and losing the franchise because of an elderly owner with no (public) plan in place for succession and I think his performance as a marketing genius is severely overblown.

Edited by Drunkard

And his decision to move <one> home game<> a year to Toronto was a COMPLETE failure.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I credit the guy for doing something risky in an effort to expand the team's regional fanbase into the TO area. It didn't really work out. So, onto something else.

A couple quick thoughts:

1) I wish I knew more about Brandon. He's a nice guy like others said but there's nothing else on him

2) Manuel didn't play bad during the Steeler's game. I'm not a full out EJ fan, but I'm not nearly the detractor some of you tend to be. The steeler's regularly had tight coverage on the WRs. Manuel hit Chandler and JAckson regulary. How does Brady beat us every year? Dink and dunk passing that ends up opening up big plays later on. I say, if he's moving the ball (which they did during the first half to the tune of 212 yards), then there isn't an issue.

3) the issue I see is the fact that we haven't scored a touchdown with our first team offense yet.

4) I think our defense will be better this year than last year. There, I said it.

Anyone else catch John Gruden on Monday night talking about how many defensive sets Mike Pettine runs? He was saying the Brown had over 60 sets already installed and would run double that during the season. No wonder our defenders didn't know where they were supposed to be at times last year.

The defense is looking VERY good in this game, so far. Offense is looking terrible. Two times receivers fell which isn't on Manuel, and then Manuel missed the only shot down field to a wide open Woods.

Play-calling has been extremely safe and they can't even get that down. That's alarming.

EDIT: Manuel just made a REALLY nice play to allude the rush and hit Mike Williams tight against the sidelines for a first down.

Edited by Tankalicious

This Bills squad sucks big time. Not a fan of EJ. Looks like another bust. Hope who ever buys this team cleans house in the front office. This team could have addressed the QB spot in the draft and they pick no one. They will be lucky if they get 4-6 wins.

EJ Manuel is looking more and more like the Bills version of Ville Leino.

He sucks! Plus looks like Marrone will be gone by the end of the season .

I doubt any action will come during the season. No matter the results. New ownership may want to clean house if this season goes as bad as the preseaseason indicates, but two full seasons should be the lowest timeframe given to a regime. Firing a guy after 1.5 seasons may make any potential hires nervous to take the job. Not that this franchise hasn't already had trouble landing candidates.

I don't really read this thread, so I'm not sure if this has been posted here, or in any other thread ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/nhl/article/20140805211823005475204/

This is old news, but it looks like TP has fattened up his wallet in order to facilitate a huge purchase. Even if it ends up being a bidding war.

I don't really read this thread, so I'm not sure if this has been posted here, or in any other thread ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...11823005475204/

This is old news, but it looks like TP has fattened up his wallet in order to facilitate a huge purchase. Even if it ends up being a bidding war.

Would not shock me to see the price rise to 2B