Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

Henderson out; Dareus still stupid. Not looking good.

I keep waiting for the inevitable training camp injury that puts the season in peril.

Like a Watkins turf toe kind of thing...

Seems like every year the Bills come out of camp banged up.

I suppose the Kiko injury might be it, but that one was pre-camp.

Edited by wjag

I'm worried about the Bills D. Schwartz is not Pettine. I think Pettine really schemed his way to a good D. It was exotic blitz after exotic blitz. I fully expect them to take a big step back. This was Jim Schwartz's D before becoming a head coach. Do you think our Players resemble that loaded roster?

LDE Jevon Kearse

LDT Tony Brown

RDT Albert Haynesworth

RDE Kyle Vanden Bosch

LLB David Thornton

MLB Stephen Tulloch

RLB Keith Bulluck

LCB Nick Harper

RCB Cortland Finnegan

SS Chris Hope

FS Michael Griffin

I think you're thinking too hard about it and are putting too much work into making your case.

Just remember what the defense looked like in '12 when we had a certain mustachioed D coordinator who was also blitz-adverse.

As hard as I try to be optimistic, it is an area of concern me.

Edited by Campy

I think you're thinking too hard about it and are putting too much work into making your case.

Just remember what the defense looked like in '12 when we had a certain mustachioed D coordinator who was also blitz-adverse.

As hard as I try to be optimistic, it is an area of concern me.

Exactly

There's no question that Pettine fielded a fun D that created gaudy numbers. But the Rex disciple didn't have all the answers. That was a boom or bust unit that got exposed by stout run games. Belichick figured that out PDQ - they ran it like 35 times in each of the two games last year and were right around a 4.5 YPC clip.

I get the concern with another guy coming in and talking about how the front 4 is going to have to create the pressure, especially given how that went with Wannstedt (sic? (don't care)). But from what I heard about Wanny (and I'm honestly not sure where - it's in the nature of message board/AM radio nonsense), he was a guy who did not put in the hard work to understand how the game had changed and was changing - he was content to rely on schemes and systems that had brought him success in the past.

The Giants succeed with a pressure from the front 4 scheme. I'm hoping Schwartz can do the same, if that's what he's planning to do.

There's no question that Pettine fielded a fun D that created gaudy numbers. But the Rex disciple didn't have all the answers. That was a boom or bust unit that got exposed by stout run games. Belichick figured that out PDQ - they ran it like 35 times in each of the two games last year and were right around a 4.5 YPC clip.

I get the concern with another guy coming in and talking about how the front 4 is going to have to create the pressure, especially given how that went with Wannstedt (sic? (don't care)). But from what I heard about Wanny (and I'm honestly not sure where - it's in the nature of message board/AM radio nonsense), he was a guy who did not put in the hard work to understand how the game had changed and was changing - he was content to rely on schemes and systems that had brought him success in the past.

The Giants succeed with a pressure from the front 4 scheme. I'm hoping Schwartz can do the same, if that's what he's planning to do.

Pretty sure that's a sentiment all Bills fans can agree on but I fear losing Pettine will prove to be a bigger loss than Byrd or Kiko. Really hope I'm proven wrong!

I'm finding myself to be less and less interested in football with each passing year; and it's not just because of the Bills.

The only reason I'm still interested in the NFL is the Bills.

Serious question: would you trade Dareus for a 2nd-round pick in next year's draft? Assume the pick would be in the middle of the 2nd round.

I think I would.

Hell no. There's a reason why the team is being so patient with him. The kid's a stud DT.

Hell no. There's a reason why the team is being so patient with him. The kid's a stud DT.

exactly. If he gets his act together, he'll be one of, if not the best DT in the league over the next few years. between his ability to rush the passer and stuff the run, the kids got it all. Like eleven said, there is a reason they are being this patient.

Yes. Trading him for peanuts at this point shouldn't even be on the table.

In happier Bills news, I love the reports on Watkins so far. Yes he's just a WR, and yes he should shine in a practice setting with no hitting, but we should be able to enjoy some good news dammit.

Yes. Trading him for peanuts at this point shouldn't even be on the table.

In happier Bills news, I love the reports on Watkins so far. Yes he's just a WR, and yes he should shine in a practice setting with no hitting, but we should be able to enjoy some good news dammit.

Hooray!! We have the football equivalent of cheddar bay biscuits!! Super good, but still just a side dish!!! yay!!

What are the odds that Dareus grows up, dedicates himself to his profession and becomes a top-5 DT? I'd say 10% at best.

What are the odds that he spirals downward from here, never regains his form of last year and is out of the league in 3-4 years a la Mike Williams (the former Bills OT, not other 23 Mike Williamses who have populated the NFL)? I'd say 25%.

What are the odds that he never gets his act together, never gets in really good shape, never stops getting baked as often as possible and more or less continues along as he is now -- i.e. an occasionally good-to-very-good player who is often just OK, usually in the coach's doghouse and occasionally suspended? I'd say 65%

What are the odds that a mid-2nd-rounder from next year's draft is a better NFL player than outcome #2 or #3 above?