Grigorenko

bob_sauve28

How many of you think he'll make the sabres as 2C this year?

I read on many forums they want him to "earn" his spot in the AHL first, but if he keeps playing like last night this doesn't make sense to me.

He is physically mature, responsible in his own zone and might mesh with Hodgson (who really needs someone) offensively.

Next to Ristolainen, he is now for me one of the prime candidates to actually make it.

And for me he has earned it, he has been positive coming into camp, showed he wanted to make it by working out during summer, besides all the bad press he has gotten.

Being advertised for 2 yrs as "the russian floater" , "prime KHL candidate" and a bust, it takes great mentality to overcome that. To me that even screams future leadership material.

I also read many don't want Reinhart to go back to juniors, reason i bring this up is. Reinhart isn't physically ready for NHL, and i don't want thim to become a concussion case.

Also if i was Grigorenko, I'd be pretty pissed they would give Samson playing time, while he got send back to juniors because of not being physically mature.

Whoa. The guy has played 1 NHL preseason game at a level higher than that of "corpse." He hasn't proven, or earned, anything, especially as regards being a good 2-way player.

And Griggy didn't get sent back to juniors for being physically immature. He got sent back because he was completely useless in an NHL game.

Everyone's got to earn it. If he does -- great. But he hasn't come close to doing so yet.

Whoa. The guy has played 1 NHL preseason game at a level higher than that of "corpse." He hasn't proven, or earned, anything, especially as regards being a good 2-way player.

And Griggy didn't get sent back to juniors for being physically immature. He got sent back because he was completely useless in an NHL game.

Everyone's got to earn it. If he does -- great. But he hasn't come close to doing so yet.

I dissagree, he has come close to earning a shot. But Nolan and murray will make the right call on this one im sure.

It's good enough for me. Receiving that pass from Hodgson and what appeared to be effortlessly burying it required talent very few have. And we desperately need scoring. He got the message. Put him on the roster. The minute he stops working hard, send to ROC.

I know others have preached against it, mostly for developmental reasons, but I think the best 22 or 23 players should make the team.

There are about 10 players left battling for the last five or six forward spots.

Who among Kaleta, Larsson, Reinhart, Mitchell, McCormick, Deslauriers, Ellis, Schaller and Armia has been more effective than Grigorenko?

I know others have preached against it, mostly for developmental reasons, but I think the best 22 or 23 players should make the team.

There are about 10 players left battling for the last five or six forward spots.

Who among Kaleta, Larsson, Reinhart, Mitchell, McCormick, Deslauriers, Ellis, Schaller and Armia has been more effective than Grigorenko?

well....... Kaleta took one in the face!

yes I am quoting Goon.

Couple of thoughts on this:

1. I don't think Griggy or the team would be well served by him playing on the 4th line with a couple of bangers or by being the 13th forward and getting healthy-scratched frequently -- so really IMHO the question is whether he is one of the top 9 forwards.

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford

Hodgson-Zemgus-Stewart

Gionta

...are all definitely ahead of Griggy.

Based on Teddy's comments over time, I think Foligno will have one of the other 2 spots on the 3rd line.

And McCormick, Kaleta and Mitchell are pretty much locks for 3 of the bottom 4 forward spots (assuming they keep 13 forwards).

That leaves Griggy, Larsson, Deslauriers and Reinhart fighting it out for the last 2 spots on that 3rd line (although Larsson and Delsauriers can both flex down to the 4th line).

So, it will likely come down to whether Reinhart stays up, whether Teddy trusts Larsson and Deslauriers more than he does Griggy, and whether Teddy and TM would rather have Griggy spend some time in the AHL before bringing him to the NHL.

2. The other issue about keeping the best forwards on October 8 is that the Sabres are, I think, more focused on what will be best for the team for the 5 years starting in 2015-2016 than they are on this year. It's quite possible that they think that both the team and Griggy will be better served by keeping him in the AHL this year.

I think Freeman's right that Girgorenko isn't going to make this team if he is not playing top nine.

So it's probably more realistic to say he is battling Foligno, Reinhart, Flynn, Armia, Larsson and Deslauriers for two spots on the third line. Foligno, Flynn, Larsson and Deslauriers can play on the fourth line. The other three can't.

Edit: And before anyone jumps on this, when I say third line, I don't mean checking line.

Edited by dudacek

I think that there is a decent chance that the kid makes the sabres this season. Going on a gut feeling(same one that said Mtl over Boston this year). Call me crazy, call me stupid, but come October I'll be hoping to get a chance to say told you so.

Hope you are getting your vocal chords warmed up. Not there yet but looking like a great call

Couple of thoughts on this:

1. I don't think Griggy or the team would be well served by him playing on the 4th line with a couple of bangers or by being the 13th forward and getting healthy-scratched frequently -- so really IMHO the question is whether he is one of the top 9 forwards.

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford

Hodgson-Zemgus-Stewart

Gionta

...are all definitely ahead of Griggy.

Based on Teddy's comments over time, I think Foligno will have one of the other 2 spots on the 3rd line.

And McCormick, Kaleta and Mitchell are pretty much locks for 3 of the bottom 4 forward spots (assuming they keep 13 forwards).

That leaves Griggy, Larsson, Deslauriers and Reinhart fighting it out for the last 2 spots on that 3rd line (although Larsson and Delsauriers can both flex down to the 4th line).

So, it will likely come down to whether Reinhart stays up, whether Teddy trusts Larsson and Deslauriers more than he does Griggy, and whether Teddy and TM would rather have Griggy spend some time in the AHL before bringing him to the NHL.

2. The other issue about keeping the best forwards on October 8 is that the Sabres are, I think, more focused on what will be best for the team for the 5 years starting in 2015-2016 than they are on this year. It's quite possible that they think that both the team and Griggy will be better served by keeping him in the AHL this year.

The biggest issue here is, you see Zemgus as a 2C ...

Isn't it obvious that Grigorenko won't be on this team unless he's playing major minutes? Murray already said he needs to be on the ice more and on the PP.

I also don't see any reason be can't be the number two center at the moment. Ennis-Grigorenko-Girgensons-McCormick up the middle (if Reinhart doesn't make it).

He won't be on the opening roster if they decide to give Reinhart his NHL games before sending him back to Juniors.

The other thing to keep in mind is who has to clear waivers and who does not. Grigorenko does not. This provides roster flexibility and that is important. They aren't going to send a guy to Rochester who needs to clear unless they are certain they don't care if he gets picked up. They do have to ice a team in Rochester as well.

He'll get his opportunities this year.

He won't be on the opening roster if they decide to give Reinhart his NHL games before sending him back to Juniors.

The other thing to keep in mind is who has to clear waivers and who does not. Grigorenko does not. This provides roster flexibility and that is important. They aren't going to send a guy to Rochester who needs to clear unless they are certain they don't care if he gets picked up. They do have to ice a team in Rochester as well.

He'll get his opportunities this year.

And on this note, what borderline NHL-level players are even left on the roster who need to clear waivers before being sent down? I'm not fully up to date on who is left in camp, but I feel like Deslauriers may be the only one, or at least the only one who the fans would view as a guy who someone could possibly claim.

Is there anyone out there who we would actually hate to lose?

And on this note, what borderline NHL-level players are even left on the roster who need to clear waivers before being sent down? I'm not fully up to date on who is left in camp, but I feel like Deslauriers may be the only one, or at least the only one who the fans would view as a guy who someone could possibly claim.

Is there anyone out there who we would actually hate to lose?

Side note: capgeek added waiver status to their roster lists. Because capgeek is awesome.

Side note: capgeek added waiver status to their roster lists. Because capgeek is awesome.

Funny timing. I just looked at that after posting and you're right. That's a great little feature they added. I only looked through the forwards, but I'll stick by my thought that waivers won't be much of an issue when it comes to picking the opening roster. There are so few question marks among the non-ELC level players.

Along the same lines I was wondering if anyone has a definitive list of who is still in camp. I haven't been in tune as I usually am with that.

Gorges

Myers

Weber

Ristolainen

Benoit

Mezaros

Bagnall

Stachan

McCabe

Petrecki

Zadorov

Hodgson

Grigorenko

Stafford

Larson

Kaleta

Moulson

Ennis

Gionta

MItchell

Deslauriers

Girgensons

Ellis

Armia

Foligno

Stewart

Dalpe

Schaller

Flynn

McCormick

Reinhart

Enroth

Neuvirth

I expect additional cuts to be announced in a few hours or so.

It should be interesting to see who the cuts are! My biggest question does Grig's stick or do they send him down. They keep saying he's been good all preseason and he looked good the last couple of games. I expect Reinhart to be sent down soon. The defense should be interesting with 2 spots available. I expect Zadorov back to junior which he should really be going to the AHL. Stupid CHL-NHL agreement. I would love to see Weber gone but I know it's not going to happen just yet. Risto will earn a spot for sure.

It should be interesting to see who the cuts are! My biggest question does Grig's stick or do they send him down. They keep saying he's been good all preseason and he looked good the last couple of games. I expect Reinhart to be sent down soon. The defense should be interesting with 2 spots available. I expect Zadorov back to junior which he should really be going to the AHL. Stupid CHL-NHL agreement. I would love to see Weber gone but I know it's not going to happen just yet. Risto will earn a spot for sure.

Weber is huge part of the Tank - would hate to see him cut this year....depth AHL player in 2015-16.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.