What would it take to abandon the tank next year?

thewookie1

I agree. I think we're screwed. This team is bad and it doesn't care. It's going to win games anyway.

I guarantee you that whatever changes the Islanders make this offseason will leave them in worse shape than they are this season. I would even put money on it were I a gambling man.

I don't know about that I think if he defers the pick until 2015 Snow will do his best in signing and trying to bring in players to get them better. Plus aren't they moving into a new arena in Brooklyn? Can you imagine how much heat would be on him if they were far worse next year. It's possibly but unlikely!

I don't know about that I think if he defers the pick until 2015 Snow will do his best in signing and trying to bring in players to get them better. Plus aren't they moving into a new arena in Brooklyn? Can you imagine how much heat would be on him if they were far worse next year. It's possibly but unlikely!

Think of the worst scenario imaginable and then expect the Islander to do it.

FWIW, I think that if Nolan is back next year, the Sabres won't be in contention for the top 3 draft picks (although the Islanders might be, so if they give us their pick next year, we'll still have an iron in the fire). That is regardless of whether the Sabres bring in any good FAs.

I respectfully disagree. Barring Enroth actually being the second coming of Hasek, this team can't continue to get out-shot the way it does over the course of a full season and be anything other than one of the worst teams in the league.

I think the Islanders are far less likely to compete for a top pick then we are. They'll spend big on a goalie this offseason and have a star leader that we don't even come close to matching. Okposo is blowing up, too.

The Islanders have needed a real goalie for forever and haven't brought one in. And they had Tavares and Okposo for most of this year and still stunk.

The Islanders are a true Mickey Mouse organization -- they're the NHL version of the Bills.

They still have next year in LI before moving to Brooklyn, although there has been some talk of an early buyout.

I respectfully disagree. Barring Enroth actually being the second coming of Hasek, this team can't continue to get out-shot the way it does over the course of a full season and be anything other than one of the worst teams in the league.

Oh, I think they'll be bad -- but just more like bottom 8-10 than bottom 3.

Now, that assumes that they will get good-to-very-good goaltending. If I am wrong and they get below-average goaltending -- then I agree that we're looking at bottom 3 again.

They are going to have to spend money to bring up there cap just to get to the minimum. I think the organization is intent on giving the kids time to develop so it's no rush to get them here. I know alot of us don't want to see another bad year. But if we are in this deep might as well do it for one more year to get this team to the top.

The thing is with Reinhart it would not be rushing him. He could step in and start learning the program next year. As a 1/2 overall pick it would be unusual to send them back to Juniors for a season. The good thing about Reinhart or even Bennett is that they are already playing at a level above the other forwards. Draisaitl I am not as convinced about his game transferring as easily. Time will tell but if the Islanders give us their 2014 1st overall pick, I would take Reinhart and Dal Colle and only leave Dal Colle in juniors next season.

If the Sabres get off to an amazing start next season, I'm going to want them to continue. This is our FOURTH FOURTEENTH year in a row of starting horribly for the first half of the season, which leaves our only options for the end of the season 1. getting a VERY high pick (still hasn't happened), 2. blowing the draft pick but still missing the playoffs, and 3. squeaking into the playoffs to get eliminated in Round 1. It'd be nice to break the cycle and just want the team to win every single game again.

But if the Sabres start horribly again come October, you might as well root for the tank again.

Fixed that for you. I kid somewhat, but it seems to me that other than a few years, Sabres teams start terribly and get better after January. Hell, this year is an example just that the scale is even lower than most years.

Edited by MattPie

Start horribly, finish great. Start great, finish horribly. Consistently putrid sub-mediocrity all year. In the end, it all used to come out in the wash with a teen-ish draft pick that provided little hope for ending the cycle.

This year is different..they began the season historically bad, and nothing short of a historically great late season run by a bunch of kids and castoffs is going to ruin the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

What would you guys do if during the offseason Callahan, Ott, and Moulson all want to play for the Sabres?

Ask someone to slap me awake from dreaming. (No offense, wookie; I'd love for that to be true, but I'm not holding my breath.)

What would you guys do if during the offseason Callahan, Ott, and Moulson all want to play for the Sabres?

If this happened then we'd have to pray the Sam Reinhart is a true star, because none of those guys are going to really change this franchise. They'll make them much better, but Moulson is the only guy you can count on offensively. Wouldn't really be satisfied with that situation.

Would be assuming that the roster we had at the beginning of this season minus Miller and Vanek plus Callahan would be better. I don't think it would be.

Edited by Tankalicious

If this happened then we'd have to pray the Sam Reinhart is a true star, because none of those guys are going to really change this franchise. They'll make them much better, but Moulson is the only guy you can count on offensively. Wouldn't really be satisfied with that situation.

Would be assuming that the roster we had at the beginning of this season minus Miller and Vanek plus Callahan would be better. I don't think it would be.

It would not be just plus Callahan. It would be plus a few prospects a year older, plus two number one draft choices because I assume the Islanders keep next year plus another high end prospect or two I expect TM to obtain for some of his picks.

I am still not sure what they will decide to do but this team could be a lot better next year and still be part of the lottery. Unless other teams go into full blown tanks there may only be a team or two considerably weaker then the rest of the league.

Then we can sign them, and still finish last place and draft McDavid.

Next year's draft features McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Barzal, Zacha, Strome, Konecny and Kylington. All of them have elite potential. I would say McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Barzal and Zacha would all be the first/best prospect this year. Konecny would be in the conversation.

But it sure would give them some realy nice building blocks to work around in order to accelerate this rebuild. No matter who they sign, nobody can deny the fact that every team needs some veterans. Why not bring in the ones that (supposedly) really wanted to be here?

Speaking of next year, I will just leave this here. The 10 OHL prospects to keep an eye. #1 is McDavid but there is a lot of talent coming in 2015. Some of these guys are names to keep an eye on.

http://ohlprospects....-1997-born.html

After looking at that list, then adding Eichel and Hanifin to the mix, a top five pick in 2015 should make this team better. Tank on for one more year.

I'm looking at the Blackhawks 2009-2010 roster as a template. If we can get our Toews and Kane in the next two drafts, and add a bunch of solid free agents, and develop and resign the best of our young talent, then we could be serious contenders in 2018. It would be nice if the Islanders pick expedited the process. Maybe we'll make the playoffs in 2017.

Hmm. Looks like Scotty Bowman was involved in their front office. I wonder if that matters. I hear that he's difficult to work with.

Edited by Marcellus

I'm looking at the Blackhawks 2009-2010 roster as a template. If we can get our Toews and Kane in the next two drafts, and add a bunch of solid free agents, and develop and resign the best of our young talent, then we could be serious contenders in 2018. It would be nice if the Islanders pick expedited the process. Maybe we'll make the playoffs in 2017.

Hmm. Looks like Scotty Bowman was involved in their front office. I wonder if that matters. I hear that he's difficult to work with.

Are you seriously comparing Scotty with PLF?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.