What would it take to abandon the tank next year?

thewookie1

I'm not here to bash Crosby (he is a great player) but either he isn't as great as everyone thinks, or the NHL has changed in the cap Era where you need a more balanced team. The Penguins are good every year, but you don't need Crosby for that. When he has been hurt, they have played almost as well (winning percentage). Even with him, and Malkin (a league MVP type player), and a few other top 5 picks, they still only have one Cup....needed 7 games for that...and needed a few calls to go their way in the conference finals game 7 that year to even get there.

If the Sabres get McDavid, that is good, but getting him in todays NHL doesn't guarantee Cups....and not getting him doesn't mean you won't get cups. This team may be as good in the future, with just as much success....if they don't get him...but get 2 top 5 picks this year and one top 5 next year that isn't him. With that said, I REALLY want the team to get a top 2 pick next year.

I certainly don't disagree with you. For once, I'd like the Sabres to get "The Guy" that everyone covets. When is the last time that happened? I respect Crosby as a player; he's an amazing talent. I hate him personally; I think he's a crybaby and a whiner. He's surrounded by a great amount of talent, for sure. Even if they've only won one Cup, they've been in the mix every year since what, 2007? EVERY year.

Outcry for *not* rushing them or outcry for rushing them? After last season's Grigorenko debacle, I don't remember there being a ton of appetite for rushing teenagers to the NHL this season.

That is the point. The picks, should they be exercised, will not be on the roster immediately. To field a po quality team you will need a few fas. I don't think we can land true difference maker until the prospects get closer the nhl level.

Im in the minority I know, but a first round bow out with no shot at the cup is the same as not making it in the first place.

Actually I never meant what would you want them to do or if you wanted to end the tank, but rather what would have to happen that you'd give up wishing for the tank. Rob, answered to what I was trying to ask; what would the Sabres have to accomplish this offseason plus next season to get you to abandon tanking for McDavid.

AS for the Islanders deferring if in the Top 3, who knows at this point....

I thought i responded to that...but the answer is nothing. I like what we have done in accumulating talent and would like that to continue through 2015.

I think you'll find that in any sport, there isn't one way to win a championship. There are many routes to get there. For every team that has won a cup by having one superstar carry them (e.g., the #1 overall pick) there are just as many teams that have won it with a "team" of very good players, a good system, and a good coach. People are obsessed with losing on purpose around here because they think that is the only way for the team to become a Cup contender. I can't disagree more. If we get a superstar by chance next year, fine. But, losing on purpose just for a better lottery chance at a single player should never be the preseason objective.

I think you'll find that in any sport, there isn't one way to win a championship. There are many routes to get there. For every team that has won a cup by having one superstar carry them (e.g., the #1 overall pick) there are just as many teams that have won it with a "team" of very good players, a good system, and a good coach. People are obsessed with losing on purpose around here because they think that is the only way for the team to become a Cup contender. I can't disagree more. If we get a superstar by chance next year, fine. But, losing on purpose just for a better lottery chance at a single player should never be the preseason objective.

Who here has argued tanking is the only way to build a contender? If you think that's the argument, then you're misunderstanding.

Who here has argued tanking is the only way to build a contender? If you think that's the argument, then you're misunderstanding.

There is thread after thread about tanking. It has become a broken record at this point. One horrible season (this season) is enough for me. Next year we start our triumphant climb back to respectability...

What would it take to abandon the tank? It would take a new owner of the Buffalo Sabres. Since we're all friends here, let me tell you that we'd have to persuade the Grand Pegula of the Buffalo Sabres, that he is a loser. We're going to have to install a winner at the head of the organization. We will have to shed a top-down trying-to-lose owner, that is pervading every action that we make, off-ice and on-ice. And we will begin to shed a top-down trying-to-lose mentality, that has pervaded every aspect of the organization, and has begun to corrupt the entire City of Buffalo.

Plan B, if there's no convincing Grand P. he is a loser, we'll have to angrily set our sights on Boca Raton, where the man behind the curtain is setting the course and giving ultimate direction to the tank. We'll have to take every opportunity to embarrass and insult him, without overstepping the boundaries of good grace and humor. When Ruff was fired, it was because of national pressure, kindled by local fire, and it will be the same with us chasing off Terry "the shackler" Pegula. This isn't a tank, folks, it's a submarine, and the only way up, is by getting rid of the one man who is forcing us down. #WINNING

To abandon the tank you'd need to replace Pegula and Murray. It would be pretty simple after that.

McDavid or any other single player will not get the team a Cup. But McDavid/Eichel may be the star player that every team needs to be the best. The Sabres have an opportunity to get that star player next year. Then all of your other draft choices, trades and FAs make up the team that is able to compete for the Cup.

In order for the Sabres to position themselves to get McDavid/Eichel next year we are talking about 10-15 wins less than if they made the playoffs. I'll trade 10-15 wins for the chance to draft McDavid/Eichel.

I just watched Kane make Ehrhoff and Ruhwedel look bad on the first goal tonight. That is the kind of player that McDavid/Eichel are expected to become.

Edited by respk

There is thread after thread about tanking. It has become a broken record at this point. One horrible season (this season) is enough for me. Next year we start our triumphant climb back to respectability...

Okay, this doesn't mean that anyone has said tanking is the only way to build a contender. Whereas one horrible season is enough for you, fifteen mediocre season is enough for many of us to wan to try a different approach than toiling around in the middle-bottom of the standings hoping some trade, draft pick, or free agent signing yields significantly better than expected returns.

I would abandon the tank next year if the Islanders gave us the pick this year and we drafted Reinhart and Dal Colle.

Even if the Islanders give us their first pick this year and we have 2 picks in the top 5 I don't know if management plays them more than 9 games. I think management is set on giving these players time to develop and I don't think Reinhart is as good as McKinnon so people thinking he will step in right away I don't know about that.

If abandoning the Tank means icing a better roster than we currently have, I believe it is inevitable.

We are currently about $6.8M above the floor for this season. $3.3M of that is going to players who no longer play for the organization. The rest is Ville Leino.

We are at the floor right now. Spending to the floor next year after losing those freebe cap dollars and amnesty on Leino will inevitably make the roster better. Maybe not a winner, but better.

Even if the Islanders give us their first pick this year and we have 2 picks in the top 5 I don't know if management plays them more than 9 games. I think management is set on giving these players time to develop and I don't think Reinhart is as good as McKinnon so people thinking he will step in right away I don't know about that.

Liger's idea doesn't have to be mutually exclusive with starting to get better. And I tend to agree with Liger. Get 2 out of the top 3 picks this draft, you already have a bunch of high quality picks from trades and previous drafts, and a couple really good prospects in the A. With all that it seems to me that starting to identify and sign vets to move the team forward makes sense.

Liger's idea doesn't have to be mutually exclusive with starting to get better. And I tend to agree with Liger. Get 2 out of the top 3 picks this draft, you already have a bunch of high quality picks from trades and previous drafts, and a couple really good prospects in the A. With all that it seems to me that starting to identify and sign vets to move the team forward makes sense.

They are going to have to spend money to bring up there cap just to get to the minimum. I think the organization is intent on giving the kids time to develop so it's no rush to get them here. I know alot of us don't want to see another bad year. But if we are in this deep might as well do it for one more year to get this team to the top.

FWIW, I think that if Nolan is back next year, the Sabres won't be in contention for the top 3 draft picks (although the Islanders might be, so if they give us their pick next year, we'll still have an iron in the fire). That is regardless of whether the Sabres bring in any good FAs.

FWIW, I think that if Nolan is back next year, the Sabres won't be in contention for the top 3 draft picks (although the Islanders might be, so if they give us their pick next year, we'll still have an iron in the fire). That is regardless of whether the Sabres bring in any good FAs.

I agree. I think we're screwed. This team is bad and it doesn't care. It's going to win games anyway.

I think the Islanders are far less likely to compete for a top pick then we are. They'll spend big on a goalie this offseason and have a star leader that we don't even come close to matching. Okposo is blowing up, too.

I guarantee you that whatever changes the Islanders make this offseason will leave them in worse shape than they are this season. I would even put money on it were I a gambling man.

You think Snow will strap on the pads again?

If it keeps him busy and out of the GMs office where someone else would be making the moves itmight be the best thing to happen to that franchise

I seriously don't see how he can survive the rest of this season after whats gone down there. Especially with them moving into a new arena, if they keep him on after this season the fans really need to abandon the franchise until Wang and Snow are forced out. With a decent GM in place, they have the foundation to be a playoff team very quickly

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.