What would it take to abandon the tank next year?

thewookie1

As the title says.....

I'm thinking along the lines of, what I we end up with the 2 of the top 3 picks this year and thus we look far better next year.

More so..... what if we get the top 2 picks, do we try, do you think we could succeed at, to strong arming Edm into giving us their 2015 1st and their 3rd overall in 2014 to get Ekblad?

I want mcdavid

I take another year of tanking for 20 years mcdavid

Don't know, everyone is raving about this kid, but he is still a kid, guess i'll go nuts about him when he is playing for the sabres but i just can't get myself to be interested in him much.

Youtube can't satisfy me in thinking he'll be our next saviour.

As the title says.....

I'm thinking along the lines of, what I we end up with the 2 of the top 3 picks this year and thus we look far better next year.

More so..... what if we get the top 2 picks, do we try, do you think we could succeed at, to strong arming Edm into giving us their 2015 1st and their 3rd overall in 2014 to get Ekblad?

I think you have to go after Calagary's, Edmonton actually has enough talent to do better next year. Why not though, can't hurt.

Don't know, everyone is raving about this kid, but he is still a kid, guess i'll go nuts about him when he is playing for the sabres but i just can't get myself to be interested in him much.

Youtube can't satisfy me in thinking he'll be our next saviour.

Watched the world junior championships. The kid is immature, took a bad penalty, but he plays with a temper and has incredible skills and skating ability. Yes he has some growing to do, needs not to get knocked off the puck so much. But the attitude, he gets pissed when getting checked, along with his skills were something to see. Edited by Icehole

As the title says.....

If you have the two top picks and want to abandon the tank, select Ekblad and offer EDM their choice of D Men for Hall or RNH.

I will admit I like your trade scenario better however.

Also I cannot see Snow giving the Sabres their first this year if it is the first or second overall pick.

If you have the two top picks and want to abandon the tank, select Ekblad and offer EDM their choice of D Men for Hall or RNH.

I will admit I like your trade scenario better however.

Also I cannot see Snow giving the Sabres their first this year if it is the first or second overall pick.

I wonder if Snow even survives the off season. That debacle of Moulson-Vanek has to have him on the hotseat.

Edited by wjag

I want mcdavid

I take another year of tanking for 20 years mcdavid

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT ABSOLUTELY AGREE. He's the next Crosby - look at what he's done for Pittsburgh. You have to have at least one player of that caliber to have a legitimate shot at the Cup.

If the Islanders defer that pick to next year I'd expedite the rebuild and forget the tank next year.

Even if they don't. If they give us their 1st this year and we can add two first-line type guys in the 2014 draft, I'd be pretty happy.

If the Sabres get off to an amazing start next season, I'm going to want them to continue. This is our FOURTH year in a row of starting horribly for the first half of the season, which leaves our only options for the end of the season 1. getting a VERY high pick (still hasn't happened), 2. blowing the draft pick but still missing the playoffs, and 3. squeaking into the playoffs to get eliminated in Round 1. It'd be nice to break the cycle and just want the team to win every single game again.

But if the Sabres start horribly again come October, you might as well root for the tank again.

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT ABSOLUTELY AGREE. He's the next Crosby - look at what he's done for Pittsburgh. You have to have at least one player of that caliber to have a legitimate shot at the Cup.

I'm not here to bash Crosby (he is a great player) but either he isn't as great as everyone thinks, or the NHL has changed in the cap Era where you need a more balanced team. The Penguins are good every year, but you don't need Crosby for that. When he has been hurt, they have played almost as well (winning percentage). Even with him, and Malkin (a league MVP type player), and a few other top 5 picks, they still only have one Cup....needed 7 games for that...and needed a few calls to go their way in the conference finals game 7 that year to even get there.

If the Sabres get McDavid, that is good, but getting him in todays NHL doesn't guarantee Cups....and not getting him doesn't mean you won't get cups. This team may be as good in the future, with just as much success....if they don't get him...but get 2 top 5 picks this year and one top 5 next year that isn't him. With that said, I REALLY want the team to get a top 2 pick next year.

Even if they don't. If they give us their 1st this year and we can add two first-line type guys in the 2014 draft, I'd be pretty happy.

If the Sabres get off to an amazing start next season, I'm going to want them to continue. This is our FOURTH year in a row of starting horribly for the first half of the season, which leaves our only options for the end of the season 1. getting a VERY high pick (still hasn't happened), 2. blowing the draft pick but still missing the playoffs, and 3. squeaking into the playoffs to get eliminated in Round 1. It'd be nice to break the cycle and just want the team to win every single game again.

But if the Sabres start horribly again come October, you might as well root for the tank again.

You and I are on the same page.

Worst case as far as draft picks are concerned seemingly will result in two likely 1st line draft picks this year. And this is on top of excellent drafts the previous two years. I don't need to see a tank next season. If they start out slowly, well, it's better to just tank. But if they start well, lets get some wins.

As the title says.....

They haven't even finished pouring the concrete for the new foundation and people are ready to move in.

Rushing the process will hinder future success. The Sabres are on the right track, the early part of the journey will be extremely bumpy, it gets smoother the further down the line they go.

You and I are on the same page.

Worst case as far as draft picks are concerned seemingly will result in two likely 1st line draft picks this year. And this is on top of excellent drafts the previous two years. I don't need to see a tank next season. If they start out slowly, well, it's better to just tank. But if they start well, lets get some wins.

It's been so long since being a Sabres fan was simple and:

1) you wanted them to win every single game throughout an entire season (i.e. "just finish the tank" didn't apply)

and

2) you actually liked all the players on the team and just wanted them to do well rather than wondering when we're going to trade them and what we can get back

That's probably not next season but October 2015 seems realistic.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but wasn't there outcry for not rushing Z, Risto and Grigs this year? The picks this year may contribute right away, but more likely will not join the big club. So essentially your opening day roster will be constructed with what's on hand and the promotion of a few in the pipeline. FA? Forget it. This is Buffalo and no FA worth a damn is signing on until there is a reasonable possibility of winning.

So I think the tank is not over nor should it be. By opening day 2015 there will be a much stronger group of homegrown talent ready to contribute with a strong pipeline to feed the big club as needed. Then we can be a player in FA.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but wasn't there outcry for not rushing Z, Risto and Grigs this year? The picks this year may contribute right away, but more likely will not join the big club. So essentially your opening day roster will be constructed with what's on hand and the promotion of a few in the pipeline. FA? Forget it. This is Buffalo and no FA worth a damn is signing on until there is a reasonable possibility of winning.

So I think the tank is not over nor should it be. By opening day 2015 there will be a much stronger group of homegrown talent ready to contribute with a strong pipeline to feed the big club as needed. Then we can be a player in FA.

Outcry for *not* rushing them or outcry for rushing them? After last season's Grigorenko debacle, I don't remember there being a ton of appetite for rushing teenagers to the NHL this season.

Actually I never meant what would you want them to do or if you wanted to end the tank, but rather what would have to happen that you'd give up wishing for the tank. Rob, answered to what I was trying to ask; what would the Sabres have to accomplish this offseason plus next season to get you to abandon tanking for McDavid.

AS for the Islanders deferring if in the Top 3, who knows at this point....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.