Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

If I am not mistaken, "chestnut of wisdom" was intended to be a compliment regarding what you posted.

I'm with Millibank here. Way too much rumor mongering and useless speculation. It all is nothing but speculation. The facts will show themselves in time. They always do. And when they do the conversation will be much more worthwhile.

And isn't all of that necessary to drive ratings and readers? Something stinks and I am resigned to never knowing the real deal. As a result I am moving on. And thinking about what GMTM is doing and if I will agree with those moves. I believe I will and think we will be on the right track. Connor next year maybe , don't care. We are going to be stocked with A level talent soon and I care about that so much more than what went down with Patty. Yes the circus show looks bad but if doesn't set us back, screw it.

Here is what we know. At some point last week something Happened that made PLF question staying with the team. Some sort of breaking point. Most insiders say Miller trade was a non factor. Nolan signing also a non factor. After last week PLF went MIA and then at some point over the weekend was either asked to resign or quit of his own accord. What sparked the initial incident and what ultimately happened Saturday won't become clear for years.

Here is what we know. At some point last week something Happened that made PLF question staying with the team. Some sort of breaking point. Most insiders say Miller trade was a non factor. Nolan signing also a non factor. After last week PLF went MIA and then at some point over the weekend was either asked to resign or quit of his own accord. What sparked the initial incident and what ultimately happened Saturday won't become clear for years.

I think that "something" was the last in a string of "somethings" that occurred over the course of PLF's tenure. A straw that broke the camel's back if you will. The camel being TP.

GO SABRES!!!

Millbank: Weave had it right. 'Chestnut of wisdom' is high praise, in my world. Sorta like a 'pearl,' but beloved by squirrels, not oysters.

my apologies, misunderstood. One more comment . It good to remember when stories such as these occur, many from other parts of nation, folks who follow other teams ect, out of interest to read what locals are thinking , log on to site . It is during these times posters have a opportunity to represent the community , team they root for in a positive knowledgeable fashion. Think of times we have visited other teams sites and found amusement in that teams/ cities posters opinions. I would like to think people could visit this site from outside and go away informed , feeling respect for the avid fans/supporters of Buffalo not amusement. It a thought we all to some extent need reflect as we post in ways we to the good or bad reflect our community to some extent ...

Edited by millbank

my apologies, misunderstood. One more comment . It good to remember when stories such as these occur, many from other parts of nation, folks who follow other teams ect, out of interest to read what locals are thinking , log on to site . It is during these times posters have a opportunity to represent the community , team they root for in a positive knowledgeable fashion. Think of times we have visited other teams sites and found amusement in that teams/ cities posters opinions. I would like to think people could visit this site from outside and go away informed , feeling respect for the avid fans/supporters of Buffalo not amusement. It a thought we all to some extent need reflect as we post in ways we to the good or bad reflect our community to some extent ...

You ever look at Pro Hockey Talk and the vicious un necessary slams people relish in dumping on Buffalo? The internet is full of hidden tough guys, e mail cowboy crowd.

LaLa Land is the place where I’ve got unlimited bottles of Old Vienna, and have already got a good buzz on, but I never get too drunk. I’ve got nothing to do tomorrow in LaLa Land, except read the News and check out SabreSpace; so Patty LaFontaine, Ted Nolan and I can shoot the $#!+ until late in the night, and wake up feeling like we had some great conversations, got a lot off our chests, and see things in a new light. Patty sucks at pool, and Ted and I get a kick out of that, in LaLa Land.

In LaLa Land, there aren’t any non-disclosure agreements, and I never feel guilty about telling them everything. Like last year, about this day, Lindy Ruff had been fired, but Darcy Regier was still in office. Let me preface this by saying, that I’ve never had anything against either of those dudes. Lindy ain’t a bad coach, and Darcy ain’t a bad GM, but their time had run out, which is to say, that the foundation that they were standing on was sand, and they slipped through the hourglass.

So, about this time last year, I’d come to the conclusion that Pegula wasn’t actually a huge Sabre fan. I started looking into his past, all the way back to Carbondale, PA. In LaLa Land, it’s like a bar, so some pretty sketchy stuff comes to the surface. Turns out that Pegula’s dad was mining the anthracite that the Mafia controlled. The boss was Russell Bufalino. There were indistinguishable ties to Buffalo. “Your should google Bufalino,” I told Patty. Can you imagine that a mafia boss named Bufalino based in the anthracite mines of Northern PA, would seek to control a city in Western New York, that needs anthracite to smelt steel. “No way,” Patty said. “This is a book for someone else,” I told them, but the man that we know as the owner of the Buffalo Sabres was formed solid in that environment, got his start under Buffalino, and that man was set in the direction of natural gas and that direction headed back to Buffalo.

So, about this non-disclosure agreement, I suppose that takes precedence over truth, and that’s all well and good. I realize that I just need a better contract that’ll supersede the current contracts. I’ve got to hire the better liar, to make enough money to hire the lawyers. I’m thinking of selling drugs in LaLa Land, but it may take a lot more than that. Possibly prostitutes. Possibly dual-purpose child sex-slaves, because I think they’d be happier doing chores. I’ll have to rely heavily on the non-disclosure agreements till we can fashion a better contractual agreement. Something below the truth is what I’m aiming for in LaLa Land, and the further the better.

They got a contract. #nowayout. Unless we pull a Ukraine on Yanukovich Terry, in which case, who will play Putin? My guess is that Warren Buffet’s been waiting for the right opportunity to own a hockey team. Why else would he have bought the Buffalo News? As you can imagine, things can get pretty far out there in LaLa Land. Thanks Patty, for buying the last round.

Edited by Yuri Olesha

"Disgraceful, you are better than this"?...who anointed you lord and master of the moral high ground? You sound like the Seattle City Council, who took it upon themselves to ban the words "brown bag", as in brown bag lunch, from the local lexicon because the PC blockheads, in their we-know-better-than-you omniscience, decided the term was racially disparaging.

You do realize the Daily Caller is like The Onion, so you are being sarcastic, right?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

no offense millbank (and yes i know the saying about starting a sentence like that) but I don't completely trust your interpretation of the conversation about drinking and mental health issues and such being shameful. I have seen many conversations where you simply lost something in translation and misunderstood something here and vice versa you have said things that I have had to read a few times and I i just don't fully comprehend what you meant. I believe this is one of thous situations. What i have seen is people going into overdrive on the TP is the antichrist and he has stoogies that cover up for pedophiles and they are like super mean and hard to work with(exaggerated for effect only slightly) and they are saying this with just as little information as the people that have said what is wrong with PLF. unless someone really leaks the story we will likely never know what happened but I would like to point out a few things.

PLF walked away after 40 days with the Islanders the big thing that occured during that? Smith fired as GM and the backup goalie was made the GM

PLF walked away (or was told not to come in) after about 2 1/2 months with the sabres what happened about 2-3 weeks ago? The only thing i kinda recall is the sabres terminating Omark's contract

PLF tells the doctors and the sabres that he can play and they are wrong about his dangers with PCS demands to be traded when they say no

PLF turns down a contract offer from the Islanders and refuses to come to training camp, gets traded to the sabres

PLF did a interview maybe last year? or 2 years ago? I think for the hockey day in USA stuff and they asked him about the concussions and PCS and if he had any lingering problems. I want to say he said he did have some things like light sensitivity at times and that his family would call him out on moodswings once in a while ( i could be misremembering the symptoms) I am almost certain he said he did think about the dangers the numerous concussions could have on his quality of life. if anyone wants to try and find it they spent alot of it at or skating on the little rink he made/makes for his kids and the neighborhood kids at his house

TP suffered and defended Regier for what 3 season? before he said your fired

TP kept LR for what 2 and almost a half seasons? I am willing to bet LR could be very crouchety if he thought he was in the right about something (maybe the moustache makes me think that of him?)

TP was willing to hand the keys of this franchise over to PLF 3 months ago and had to be told by PLF no no no I am not the guy to be making all the decisions

PLF sat in all the meetings this team has had whilest they revised the Regier plan

PLF did all the meeting with all the GM hopefuls and heard and possibly discussed ideas of directions to go with drafting, trades, FA signings, intentionally tanking!!!!!

PLF left to go work for the NHL and by extension any of the other teams in the league

first point I am making is patty has a documented history of leaving when he does not get/hear what he wants. Unless that person has built repeated teams that have won cups (note it is plural) and repeatedly contended for said cups (plural again) that is not a favorable nor desireable trait in a team executive. It would be like hiring a speech writer that doesn't speak the language you are going to give the speech in

second patty has talked about the dangers the concussions pose him so I don't think it is out of line to ask the question. asking the question is not the same thing as comparing a employee that use to work somewhere that has a now convicted pedophile to said pedophile is it?

third i have yet to see anyone let go quickly or come out and say bad things about about TP what I have seen on the hockey side is someone that if anything has waited to long to smash things like a tyrant

fourth the NDA is something that was made absolutely needed the second it was said patty was going the the nhl offices to work. I don't care how upstanding of a guy you are ###### leaks out alot quicker if there is no legal reason for it to remain mum and you don't want the internal working of your draft, team direction, player rankings and such made public

lastly I would like to paint a verbal picture here. the olympic break is coming up. PLF calls Omark into his office and tells him we are sending to you Rochester before the roster freeze takes effect. Omark is clearly not happy and patty being the player guy he is gives him the Girgerenko speech about paying your dues and such and your still young and you got talent. Omark nods his head and says ok. few days later no Omark in rochester. TB or some other nefarious TP henchman come to patty's office and asks him if he told Omark to report to rochester patty of course says yes I told him. well pat he hasn't shown up and he just told us he isn't going back to the ahl for another season, you did tell him this was just for the olympic break right? of course i told him that, don't tell me how to do my job I am the president of hockey operations here not you. pat I am not telling you how to do your job I am just asking if you told him this was for 2 weeks or not. Get out of my office I don't answer to you TP is my boss.

Couple of days later TP comes to patty's office. Pat we gotta talk about this Omark thing. Ya TP that might of been a opps on my part I don't think i was real clear on the temporary thing with the ahl assignment but no big thing we just recall him when the rosters unfreeze and I explain it to him it will be fine. Pat this is the 2nd player in like 2 months that has refused to do as you/sabres have told them. A 19 year old prospect that we are hoping to anchor one of our scoring lines is one thing, but a 26 year old that has achieved almost nothing at this level? we can't let this pass, we gotta terminate his contract. terry don't do that this was my mistake and further more I am in charge of hockey operations this is my decision. Pat this is more than a hockey decision this reflects on the brand badly this is a business decision and it has to be done. If you go over my head on this terry I am done. Pat don't say that man. I am serious terry you hired me to do a job let me do it. Pat take a few days off and see the family and think this over. this is a move that has to be made I am sure you will see that once you get some distance from it.

week or 2 later prideful patty is still pissed and has not backed down from his I am resigning over this on principle stance. TP is doing what he can to change his mind when suddenly it happens. Miller and Ott are traded and a moment has come that can't escape the notice of everyone. where is PLF? someone smells a scoop. someone sees a nefarious opportunity. the die has been cast. DYSFUNCTION AT SABRES HQ INVOLVING PLF. cue the sensationalism. cue the left wing right wing clipped wing conspiracies. did PLF walk because of Putin? did he walk because TP said screw thous Ukrainians they wouldn't even let me frak there. Did TP walk in on a ###### involving TN PLF TB and sabretooth?!?!?!? OMG weez needz to knowz and haz cheezburgerz. was there a organized executive seal clubbing that PLF took a moral stance against?

or was it just a case of a prideful guy making a slight mistake and not being wired in a way to accept the outcome of it and move on? I don't know and the truth is my version of the events has just as many legs to stand on as anyone elses be they pro PLF pro TP or half red half blue. the only ones that do now what happened for sure have very little reason to come out and set the record straight

Edited by drnkirishone

Drnkirsh did a nice job there. I have no problem with anyone here questioning those things on either side. What I did take offense to was the parading of concussion, crazy talk coming from the staff at GR, who gets 70% of their revenue off the Sabres, in a seemingly organized fashion. The tweets were from multiple people in the same timeframe...then the convos start. Pat Lafontaine has been silenced, and you had the Sabres management present their side.

For some of us....we spent 16 years in prison, got released, and 3 months later the parole officer takes us back to jail without any due process and won't tell us what we're in for.

The talk is calming down and should end. I've decided that I am following Ted Nolan's lead. If he decides he is able to work for the team after what happened, then that is good enough for me. After watching his reactions, I know he is having a time with it. He is my proxy. He goes, I do. My heart is already out of it for this team again.

You can't say pat has been silenced and claim he walked away from a job he didn't need the money from. The reports are all saying he signed the NDA after resigning and as part of that agreement he is being paid. Well if he really didn't need it he could have walked without signing it, or demanded the reason for his resignation not be covered under it. I see it as either he is OK with not having his side be heard, wants this hushed and buried, or feels there is nothing to be gained by airing this publicly.

I see it as either he is OK with not having his side be heard, wants this hushed and buried, or feels there is nothing to be gained by airing this publicly.

Or he decided that a 7-figure buyout was more valuable than having his say in the court of public opinion. The trope that he didn't need/want the money is over-played. The guy's just this side of 50, has a family to raise, a lifestyle to maintain, a nest to feather. My take: He took the money, and begrudgingly agreed to keep quiet. For now.

no offense millbank (and yes i know the saying about starting a sentence like that) but I don't completely trust your interpretation of the conversation about drinking and mental health issues and such being shameful. I have seen many conversations where you simply lost something in translation and misunderstood something here and vice versa you have said things that I have had to read a few times and I i just don't fully comprehend what you meant. I believe this is one of thous situations. What i have seen is people going into overdrive on the TP is the antichrist and he has stoogies that cover up for pedophiles and they are like super mean and hard to work with(exaggerated for effect only slightly) and they are saying this with just as little information as the people that have said what is wrong with PLF. unless someone really leaks the story we will likely never know what happened but I would like to point out a few things.

PLF walked away after 40 days with the Islanders the big thing that occured during that? Smith fired as GM and the backup goalie was made the GM

PLF walked away (or was told not to come in) after about 2 1/2 months with the sabres what happened about 2-3 weeks ago? The only thing i kinda recall is the sabres terminating Omark's contract

PLF tells the doctors and the sabres that he can play and they are wrong about his dangers with PCS demands to be traded when they say no

PLF turns down a contract offer from the Islanders and refuses to come to training camp, gets traded to the sabres

PLF did a interview maybe last year? or 2 years ago? I think for the hockey day in USA stuff and they asked him about the concussions and PCS and if he had any lingering problems. I want to say he said he did have some things like light sensitivity at times and that his family would call him out on moodswings once in a while ( i could be misremembering the symptoms) I am almost certain he said he did think about the dangers the numerous concussions could have on his quality of life. if anyone wants to try and find it they spent alot of it at or skating on the little rink he made/makes for his kids and the neighborhood kids at his house

TP suffered and defended Regier for what 3 season? before he said your fired

TP kept LR for what 2 and almost a half seasons? I am willing to bet LR could be very crouchety if he thought he was in the right about something (maybe the moustache makes me think that of him?)

TP was willing to hand the keys of this franchise over to PLF 3 months ago and had to be told by PLF no no no I am not the guy to be making all the decisions

PLF sat in all the meetings this team has had whilest they revised the Regier plan

PLF did all the meeting with all the GM hopefuls and heard and possibly discussed ideas of directions to go with drafting, trades, FA signings, intentionally tanking!!!!!

PLF left to go work for the NHL and by extension any of the other teams in the league

first point I am making is patty has a documented history of leaving when he does not get/hear what he wants. Unless that person has built repeated teams that have won cups (note it is plural) and repeatedly contended for said cups (plural again) that is not a favorable nor desireable trait in a team executive. It would be like hiring a speech writer that doesn't speak the language you are going to give the speech in

second patty has talked about the dangers the concussions pose him so I don't think it is out of line to ask the question. asking the question is not the same thing as comparing a employee that use to work somewhere that has a now convicted pedophile to said pedophile is it?

third i have yet to see anyone let go quickly or come out and say bad things about about TP what I have seen on the hockey side is someone that if anything has waited to long to smash things like a tyrant

fourth the NDA is something that was made absolutely needed the second it was said patty was going the the nhl offices to work. I don't care how upstanding of a guy you are ###### leaks out alot quicker if there is no legal reason for it to remain mum and you don't want the internal working of your draft, team direction, player rankings and such made public

lastly I would like to paint a verbal picture here. the olympic break is coming up. PLF calls Omark into his office and tells him we are sending to you Rochester before the roster freeze takes effect. Omark is clearly not happy and patty being the player guy he is gives him the Girgerenko speech about paying your dues and such and your still young and you got talent. Omark nods his head and says ok. few days later no Omark in rochester. TB or some other nefarious TP henchman come to patty's office and asks him if he told Omark to report to rochester patty of course says yes I told him. well pat he hasn't shown up and he just told us he isn't going back to the ahl for another season, you did tell him this was just for the olympic break right? of course i told him that, don't tell me how to do my job I am the president of hockey operations here not you. pat I am not telling you how to do your job I am just asking if you told him this was for 2 weeks or not. Get out of my office I don't answer to you TP is my boss.

Couple of days later TP comes to patty's office. Pat we gotta talk about this Omark thing. Ya TP that might of been a opps on my part I don't think i was real clear on the temporary thing with the ahl assignment but no big thing we just recall him when the rosters unfreeze and I explain it to him it will be fine. Pat this is the 2nd player in like 2 months that has refused to do as you/sabres have told them. A 19 year old prospect that we are hoping to anchor one of our scoring lines is one thing, but a 26 year old that has achieved almost nothing at this level? we can't let this pass, we gotta terminate his contract. terry don't do that this was my mistake and further more I am in charge of hockey operations this is my decision. Pat this is more than a hockey decision this reflects on the brand badly this is a business decision and it has to be done. If you go over my head on this terry I am done. Pat don't say that man. I am serious terry you hired me to do a job let me do it. Pat take a few days off and see the family and think this over. this is a move that has to be made I am sure you will see that once you get some distance from it.

week or 2 later prideful patty is still pissed and has not backed down from his I am resigning over this on principle stance. TP is doing what he can to change his mind when suddenly it happens. Miller and Ott are traded and a moment has come that can't escape the notice of everyone. where is PLF? someone smells a scoop. someone sees a nefarious opportunity. the die has been cast. DYSFUNCTION AT SABRES HQ INVOLVING PLF. cue the sensationalism. cue the left wing right wing clipped wing conspiracies. did PLF walk because of Putin? did he walk because TP said screw thous Ukrainians they wouldn't even let me frak there. Did TP walk in on a ###### involving TN PLF TB and sabretooth?!?!?!? OMG weez needz to knowz and haz cheezburgerz. was there a organized executive seal clubbing that PLF took a moral stance against?

or was it just a case of a prideful guy making a slight mistake and not being wired in a way to accept the outcome of it and move on? I don't know and the truth is my version of the events has just as many legs to stand on as anyone elses be they pro PLF pro TP or half red half blue. the only ones that do now what happened for sure have very little reason to come out and set the record straight

I suppose you can put a dress on a pig and call it a women , its a pig.. I stand by what I said

GREAT column by Bucky this morning:

http://www.buffalone...d-rift-20140304

I am sure the "blame-the-media" crowd will be out with their long knives as usual...for whatever reasons they can dredge up. But sorry, the guy's opinions are legit because (despite what others have intimated in this thread), he DOES have sources and connections, and he DOES know what's going on better than the frequent visitors of an internet message board. His opinions are only opinions, but they are better informed than 99.9% of fans. That s a fact.

Edited by blugold43

I am sure the "blame-the-media" crowd will be out with their long knives as usual...for whatever reasons they can dredge up. But sorry, the guy's opinions are legit because (despite what others have intimated in this thread), he DOES have sources and connections, and he DOES know what's going on better than the frequent visitors of an internet message board. His opinions are only opinions, but they are better informed than 99.9% of fans. That s a fact.

It all comes back to Battista. Mark my word.

This is the second time recently you've mentioned the "blame the media" crowd. It's official everyone, Mike Harrington posts here!

Drnkirsh did a nice job there. I have no problem with anyone here questioning those things on either side. What I did take offense to was the parading of concussion, crazy talk coming from the staff at GR, who gets 70% of their revenue off the Sabres, in a seemingly organized fashion. The tweets were from multiple people in the same timeframe...then the convos start. Pat Lafontaine has been silenced, and you had the Sabres management present their side.

For some of us....we spent 16 years in prison, got released, and 3 months later the parole officer takes us back to jail without any due process and won't tell us what we're in for.

The talk is calming down and should end. I've decided that I am following Ted Nolan's lead. If he decides he is able to work for the team after what happened, then that is good enough for me. After watching his reactions, I know he is having a time with it. He is my proxy. He goes, I do. My heart is already out of it for this team again.

So then, is it safe to assume they aren't worth the emotional investment necessary to continue the assault on the organization? Can you let it go?

GO SABRES!!!

What I don't understand is the statements right from the start about how LaFontaine was the right guy to run hockey operations. How are we jumping to this conclusion already? He was completely unproven, but now we want to paint the picture that he was perfect. I wanted him to be the guy, but there was no telling whether or not that was the case so far. He needed more than a couple months under his belt before being labeled as the savior.

What I don't understand is the statements right from the start about how LaFontaine was the right guy to run hockey operations. How are we jumping to this conclusion already? He was completely unproven, but now we want to paint the picture that he was perfect. I wanted him to be the guy, but there was no telling whether or not that was the case so far. He needed more than a couple months under his belt before being labeled as the savior.

Definitely this, but good post overall as well. I loved the regime bringing in Patty. The only thing I was concerned about was his lack of experience.

This is the second time recently you've mentioned the "blame the media" crowd. It's official everyone, Mike Harrington posts here!

haha seriously

The tweet where he boasts about signing Vinz, complete with a photo of Vinz he took, is just goofy.

The Vinz thing as a whole is just plain goofy. They might as well have fun with it. I wonder if Vinz was a guy that reported directly to Battista. That would explain him being the one to post it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.