• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

Can we back up a second. If there's information out there that's accurate, it has to be coming from primary sources like players, people close to players, agents, GMs or team personnel in on the talks. Why are those people talking to "the media" (very loosely defined these days)?

Lots of wisdom in this thread.

The only beef I have is with people questioning making a move sooner or later. It's like someone jumping the stock market right? If one team decides that NOW is the time they want to move they may offer a deal that appeals to the Sabres. I'm guessing that almost immediately the Sabres are sending out notice that there is an offer and the ball is rolling. You move now or you lose your opportunity. I think it's possible to create a pseudo trade deadline scenario that way. The only thing it removes is the impact of the time between now and the actual deadline. Of course, one injury to Moulson, Miller, etc. and the Sabres are left holding an empty bag.

Can we back up a second. If there's information out there that's accurate, it has to be coming from primary sources like players, people close to players, agents, GMs or team personnel in on the talks. Why are those people talking to "the media" (very loosely defined these days)?

They aren't. No ppl with primary sources are reporting this.

Straw looks like an aspiring journalist.

Certainly putting all his eggs into this basket.

If he's right, huge scoop, if he's wrong, he's just another basement-dwelling twitter-monger.

His trade is probably a better haul than I expected for Miller.

Well that's the beauty of rumor-mongering: you're NEVER wrong unless you say something definitive. Saying that there's an offer on the table is safe because you can just claim later that the offer was taken off the table or beat by another team.

But here's why Straw's deal makes zero sense: Dany Heatley has a NMC and it would be a surprise if he waived it to come to Buffalo, even if he can leave as a UFA in a few months. Granlund being mentioned is crazy. He's one of the very best prospects in the game (used to be consider THE best prospect in the game just ahead of number two Cody Hodgson). He's on the second line there and playing VERY well with Pominville by his side. Heatley was playing on that line while Parise was out.

Are the Wild really going to give up a great prospect off the second line and another second liner, PLUS a first for a potential rental?

FWIW, as of 9:47am, Straw is saying Miller to Minnesota for Heatley, and or Granlund or Coyle and Minn 1st round pick.

Wow, I know that Granlund hasn't hit it on all cylinders yet, but god. Please. Coyle would be interesting, make mention of the 1st. = Pipe dream noted. :P

Edited by TheCerebral1

Lots of wisdom in this thread.

The only beef I have is with people questioning making a move sooner or later. It's like someone jumping the stock market right? If one team decides that NOW is the time they want to move they may offer a deal that appeals to the Sabres. I'm guessing that almost immediately the Sabres are sending out notice that there is an offer and the ball is rolling. You move now or you lose your opportunity. I think it's possible to create a pseudo trade deadline scenario that way. The only thing it removes is the impact of the time between now and the actual deadline. Of course, one injury to Moulson, Miller, etc. and the Sabres are left holding an empty bag.

For what it's worth, I remember when Murray was introduced he spoke of how he doesn't like to wait around -- something like he "gets the information and makes a decision", doesn't sit around waiting for the market to set or something. I don't remember the exact quote.

Sometimes it's orchestrated to create urgency in other bidders, sometimes it just gets out (although historically not so much with Buffalo related news), and most often it's complete B.S. from our all-too-connected social media rumor-monger wildfire.

Most often rumors don't come true; on the other hand most trades that do end up happening, had some rumor behind them.

As far as sorting out the rest: NOBODY with a reputation for being right has said anything concrete. That Rabi guy has been officially labelled as any insider on those boards for two specific incidents where he had information ahead of the press. He seems to have some legitimacy and reported SOME trade would be done today. Didn't say anything about a press conference or names that would be involved. So he either knows what is going or cast a purposefully wide net so he can either look brilliant or retract it later. The press conference came from a different poster who has no history of being right.

lol, I think this one is the one that will come true.

Lindy Ruff's Tie@LindyRuffsTie

#Sabres Murray considering trading We're The Millers blu ray for Heat VHS and iTunes gift card from #MNWild. pic.twitter.com/5uTgZOKVsh

Almost said that a $100 iTunes gift card is too much since you could use a percentage of that to acquire We're The Millers yourself, but the Heat VHS has negative value due to the lack of technological chemistry and compatibility with its playing style.

Edited by Tankalicious

But here's why Straw's deal makes zero sense: Dany Heatley has a NMC and it would be a surprise if he waived it to come to Buffalo, even if he can leave as a UFA in a few months. Granlund being mentioned is crazy. He's one of the very best prospects in the game (used to be consider THE best prospect in the game just ahead of number two Cody Hodgson). He's on the second line there and playing VERY well with Pominville by his side. Heatley was playing on that line while Parise was out.

Maybe there's more to that Heatley-Murray Ottawa connection than we know ...

Although I understand the cap dump and MN's desire to get rid of him, I'd rather not get Heatley or get him and flip him into picks, but it's too early to complain about things that haven't happened yet.

What if we got Heatley and then flipped him for picks/prospects and we also do the same with Moulson... that is getting double your value out of Vanek and Miller.

Ryan Miller has not been traded. Well that ends that. We can worry about this another day.

Mike Harrington@BNHarrington

Some guy named Miller stretching at center ice prior to #Sabres skate in Pittsburgh. pic.twitter.com/KgrFn99SH4

What if we got Heatley and then flipped him for picks/prospects and we also do the same with Moulson... that is getting double your value out of Vanek and Miller.

Heatley has negative value. He's not really a worthwhile NHL player anymore.

Paul Hamilton@pham171731s

23 is taking the skate. 21 is not. Don't see any call ups from Roch.

That tells me that nothing has been planned to be announced or delayed. They could still pull a fast one and fly a backup goalie out to Pittsburgh in relatively short order, but now I definitely won't hold my breath.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I don't think the Heatley NMC is a big obstacle if that were the true deal. While he has the ultimate say, I think both Heatley and the Wild understand that Heatley isn't the same player who earned the NMC all those years ago. If there is any mutual respect between them I think Heatley could be convinced to do what's best for the team and move on to the next chapter of his career.

I also heard before that once a player waives his NMC once it's voided for good, but don't remember if that was confirmed as true or false -- wouldn't he have had to waive to go to Minnesota from SJ?

Twitter is useless. For those who don't think so, I give you this thread.

Actually twitter told me almost 2 hours before the Nov 13 press conference that LaFontaine was in and DR was out. Also on the actual deadline day, the real reporters announce stuff 10-30mins before teams do and it is almost always right (minus the Iginla deal)

I fixed my phrasing to make my opinion more clear. I would take Heatley if we turned him around. He's a good rental, and I'd be happy to eat part of his remaining salary to make him more attractive to other teams because that would help towards our cap floor.

Actually twitter told me almost 2 hours before the Nov 13 press conference that LaFontaine was in and DR was out. Also on the actual deadline day, the real reporters announce stuff 10-30mins before teams do and it is almost always right (minus the Iginla deal)

Like I said. Useless.