• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

I'm so not ready for goalie purgatory. This is going to suck. Get ready for a heaping helping of Noronen and Biron Part Deux.

I wouldn't even consider that to be goalie purgatory. While it's not championship caliber, it's not purgatory. What Toronto has endured recently prior to the emergence of Reimer and Bernier...THAT is goalie purgatory.

I wouldn't even consider that to be goalie purgatory. While it's not championship caliber, it's not purgatory. What Toronto has endured recently prior to the emergence of Reimer and Bernier...THAT is goalie purgatory.

regarding goalies, Buffalo for a rather extended period has not just good but excellent goal tending, for some they having average goal tending purgatory. Just maybe this rebuild team will be a team with players able to play systems to defend and score rather than rely on fantastic exploits of their goal tending. Could team work can make a average goal tender very good, just as poor team work can make a good goalie average at best. Generations that has got used to having the best goalies in world tend goal for Sabres a good one may be a come down.

Even if we finish last next year we might be 2-3 years off the playoffs. Don't underestimate McDavid.

But we've gotten this far. We'd be dumb to push for a fifth or sixth pick. Just suck. It's been too long since a Buffalo sports franchise had a true superstar.

I agree.. the thought that this Sabres team will even be in the conversation regarding playoffs in 2014-2015 makes me chuckle.. This team will be ready for playoffs only when all there prospects mature to the point they are capable of winning on their own.. Then the UFA and trading other prospects for top players could put us over the top.

BUT IT IS NOT HAPPENING NEXT YEAR... We have another year of serious pain at minimum.... the only joy will be watching prospects develop with the occasional ellipse of what could be

If Biron/Noronen (Career Backup/Couldn't hold an NHL job) isn't goalie purgatory then I don't know what is. Toronto has had some decent goalies since Potvin, Belfour, and Cujo. They just haven't been able to put together good teams to go with the goalies and have given away good ones they have in the system.

Now the Flyers or Oilers on the other hand, thats a different story

Whatever it was...it was crowded. 3 goalies on the active roster for long stretches.

If Biron/Noronen (Career Backup/Couldn't hold an NHL job) isn't goalie purgatory then I don't know what is. Toronto has had some decent goalies since Potvin, Belfour, and Cujo. They just haven't been able to put together good teams to go with the goalies and have given away good ones they have in the system.

Now the Flyers or Oilers on the other hand, thats a different story

The Flyers are definitely a much better example than Toronto. Biron was capable of being an average starter...to me, that just isn't purgatory.

I agree.. the thought that this Sabres team will even be in the conversation regarding playoffs in 2014-2015 makes me chuckle.. This team will be ready for playoffs only when all there prospects mature to the point they are capable of winning on their own.. Then the UFA and trading other prospects for top players could put us over the top.

BUT IT IS NOT HAPPENING NEXT YEAR... We have another year of serious pain at minimum.... the only joy will be watching prospects develop with the occasional ellipse of what could be

If the idea is to just sit on the prospects they have, trade away any of the remaining established players for more picks and prospects and wait til those guys become full time NHLers, this team could be waiting more then 2-3 years to even be considered for the 8th seed. And if thats the case, TM, PLF, and TP should be run out of town

This team has the resources to make this a quicker rebuild, and considering it started already before this season, next season we should see a much improved team that should be fighting for a playoff spot.

with a couple of trades using the many accumulated picks and prospects, a solid FA signing or 2, plus a few guys stepping up from the minors onto the big club, this team should not be fighting for the basement and be much closer to the playoffs

If the idea is to just sit on the prospects they have, trade away any of the remaining established players for more picks and prospects and wait til those guys become full time NHLers, this team could be waiting more then 2-3 years to even be considered for the 8th seed. And if thats the case, TM, PLF, and TP should be run out of town

This team has the resources to make this a quicker rebuild, and considering it started already before this season, next season we should see a much improved team that should be fighting for a playoff spot.

with a couple of trades using the many accumulated picks and prospects, a solid FA signing or 2, plus a few guys stepping up from the minors onto the big club, this team should not be fighting for the basement and be much closer to the playoffs

This team will not fight for a playoff spot next year.

This team will not fight for a playoff spot next year.

As they are built right now, of course not

If TM is a good GM, and he uses his available resources they could be fighting for a playoff spot.

If he puts his feet up after the draft and decides they want to take the approach of waiting for their prospects to mature its going to be many dark days years ahead

Tim Murray on Buffalo Sabres and trades: 15min interview on Sports Net

http://www.sportsnet...ady-to-move-on/

"So are you a buyer now at the deadline? You won two in a row?"

TM: "Yea, I am going to buy chips and dip and cokes and sit in the room and wait for calls"

TM is not enamored of Enroth at all.

Edited by Eleven

I agree with you. Between all our draft picks, a couple of key UFA's and re-sign Ott and Moulson.... this team isn't far off.

You are far from the only one posting about re-signing Moulson, but I will respond here. I think there is almost zero possibility of re-signing Moulson. Why in the world would he want to sign here? He's been here for a cup of coffee, the team is terrible and he'll have his choice of numerous better situations.

There is absolutely no reason for this team to not be in contention for a playoff spot next year. They have the resources available to turn this thing around rather quickly, but the key is if they are willing to use these resources and take chances. If picks and prospects can be used to obtain some NHL ready talent, and they can convince some FAs to come here, then add that to some of the current roster (if they don't deal them away) and guys in the system, they could have a team that could fight for a playoff spot.

I agree 100%. I'm not expecting it, but I will be disappointed if they aren't in the playoff bubble range next year.

Lazar and Ceci are the 2 guys who could be ready for everyday duty in 2 years and play for 12-15 years to me.

I hate that I am having visions of sugarplums dancing in my head. I think Murray needs to package guys and picks to get better prospects and you can turn this around in 2 years and be good for a long time. Instead of Miller to Stl....Miller and Foligno to STL for Rattie and Allen. Instead of Moulson to Ottawa...Moulson and Ehrhoff and 2 2nds for Lazar and Ceci. Instead of Ott to Vancouver...Ott and Ennis for Horvat and a 2nd. Myers for Eberle. Then you draft your big gun this year and probably next. 2016 suddenly gets very interesting.

I don't particularly want to trade any of the non-UFAs you mentioned in exchange for prospects, but I will say that one of the good things about bringing in a new management team is that they aren't biased in favor of keeping these guys, since they didn't draft them.

The Flyers are definitely a much better example than Toronto. Biron was capable of being an average starter...to me, that just isn't purgatory.

Respectfully, this is not correct. Marty was a great guy and a great backup, but not #1 material. He had multiple chances with multiple teams and was not able to seize the job.

In the sportsnet radio interview, TM says he's pretty confident he can improve the bottom six or bottom nine from within the organization and through free agency, but he said the first-line guys have to come from the draft.

As they are built right now, of course not

If TM is a good GM, and he uses his available resources they could be fighting for a playoff spot.

If he puts his feet up after the draft and decides they want to take the approach of waiting for their prospects to mature its going to be many dark days years ahead

At what cost? With the roster constructed as is, we're going to have to use a significant number of picks/prospects to acquire enough players to put us on the playoff bubble. How much of the future are you willing to mortgage for a run at the 7/8 spot?

Respectfully, this is not correct. Marty was a great guy and a great backup, but not #1 material. He had multiple chances with multiple teams and was not able to seize the job.

I disagree. How many average goaltenders hold down a spot long term? Most teams are looking for better than average, so if their guy is only average they'll be looking to replace him, which is precisely why Marty moved around so much and never held down a spot.

In the sportsnet radio interview, TM says he's pretty confident he can improve the bottom six or bottom nine from within the organization and through free agency, but he said the first-line guys have to come from the draft.

I wasn't very happy to hear his philosophy on that.

Edited by Eleven

Ya build through the draft, and in the NHL the only chance you have at offensive studs is to have the #1 pick.. Just ask Pittsburgh

And no other NHL team is going to trade away there very top prospects. You're going to get lots of upside guys but you're not picking up a 100 points a year guy or a 50+ goals a season player, which is what this franchise desperately lacks

That is why the tank is on. No way does this team compete for the playoffs next year without sacrificing the plan they are on now. Too much youth on the roster, and even with the vets we have now they still aren't capable of winning regulalry

Ya build through the draft, and in the NHL the only chance you have at offensive studs is to have the #1 pick.. Just ask Pittsburgh

The only chance is #1 overall? 6 of the top 20 point scorers in the NHL as of today were taken 1st overall. So it hardly seems like the only way. Most are first round guys though.

So our trade returns will be high draft picks and low end grinders, no marquee players acquired through trade or free agency... Interesting, Mr. Murray must not be getting the responses he thought he would get for our assets

When you say marquee players do you mean very young guys likely in other teams farm systems? Because no big name players will be traded to us at the deadline. They need those players for their playoff push.