Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

I'm not expecting the Sabres to be the worst team in the league again next season, then again, I don't think they'll be a playoff team either. I hope the Sabres will be able to land either McDavid or Eichel, but what are the chances the Sabres could land both? If they win draft the lottery (either with their pick or the one from the Islanders), would the Sabres make some moves (trade draft picks and or players) to draft both McDavid and Eichel?

I like what you are proposing but if unless the Sabres have #1 and #2 overall after the lottery, I don't think they would have the resources to trade up to get either of those picks. The reason is simple. If a bottom 2 team were to trade one of those picks it would be in all likelihood for established veteran or young NHL talent. The Sabres currently do not possess really any of that type.

I think the only way that possibly happens is if the Sabres are bottom 5 (likely) and the Islanders miss the playoffs but win the lotto. The Sabres might, and I stress might, be able to package pick 3-5 plus a rostered player plus a 2nd round pick to move up but I am not sure even then if a team would do it next year. It just is far to early to tell at this point.

It would be kind of funny with the number of times we've heard "they should have taken the Oilers picks for Vanek" if he wound up netting us McDavid.

That would be amazing.

I completely agree with nfreeman and plan on taking a drink every time someone mentions it. We're going to hear it 6 million times but it will not happen. If the Sabres end up picking 1 or 2 would you trade out of there?

It would be kind of funny with the number of times we've heard "they should have taken the Oilers picks for Vanek" if he wound up netting us McDavid.

I'd be asking if it was reverse karma :P

But honestly, the Islanders pick is secondary to me for now, in any event, until we know where it stands towards the end of next season. I'm also interested in just how far the Blues will fall from grace. Will it be outside of the 20th pick? One can only hope.

I'm much more focused on our roster next season combined with our secondary picks (rounds 2 thru 4) from prior drafts to see just how they are progressing with their development. I'm crossing my fingers for a Datsyuk/Zetterberg type player, and right now, Baptiste isn't disappointing thus far.

Adam Gretz@AGretz 1h

If NYI faced the same number of shots (2460) and had league average goaltending (.914) instead of the .894 they had, that's a 50 goal dif.

Halak's career sv% is .918, so even if he only plays 55-60 games and the backup is just as bad as what they iced this year, you're still looking at over a 40 goals against improvement. Even if their offense comes down a little without Moulson/Vanek and Okposo regressing a bit (counterbalanced some by a full season of Tavares), their goal differential could easily be about even which would put them right on the cusp of a playoff spot. Unless Halak plays significantly worse than his career average and/or the team is beset by crippling injuries, I don't see their draft pick being anywhere near the top of the lottery.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Isles move the #5 pick for a veteran player.....Spezza?

Good call. It's definitely good ammunition and should be available, whatever the return.

How do the Islanders sign Halak if free agency hasn't started?

He's Islander property.

Adam Gretz@AGretz 1h

If NYI faced the same number of shots (2460) and had league average goaltending (.914) instead of the .894 they had, that's a 50 goal dif.

Halak's career sv% is .918, so even if he only plays 55-60 games and the backup is just as bad as what they iced this year, you're still looking at over a 40 goals against improvement. Even if their offense comes down a little without Moulson/Vanek and Okposo regressing a bit (counterbalanced some by a full season of Tavares), their goal differential could easily be about even which would put them right on the cusp of a playoff spot. Unless Halak plays significantly worse than his career average and/or the team is beset by crippling injuries, I don't see their draft pick being anywhere near the top of the lottery.

I'm with the "eye test" team on this one.

I would be stunned if they aren't in the bottom 10, even with Halak, unless they make significant changes.

But it will be very interesting test case for this argument.

Interesting move by the Islanders in keeping the pick this year. It suggests to me the following:

1. Snow is in full "win now at any cost" mode -- i.e. similar to the Bills' senior management, he's made a questionable long-term move in order to improve his prospects for next year. This will be reinforced if they trade this year's #1 for a roster player as has been suggested upthread.

2. They are not that close to a sale -- if they were, I think we'd have heard about the new owner and/or his hockey guys weighing in on this decision.

3. They do expect a sale to occur at some point -- so Snow knows he has to show improvement ASAP.

I am entirely confident that the Islanders will be just as bad next year as they were this year. From a timing perspective, I was hoping to get their pick this year as that shortens the time frame for actual NHL production from the pick, but they will probably get as good or better a player in next year's draft from the Islanders.

I'm with the "eye test" team on this one.

I would be stunned if they aren't in the bottom 10, even with Halak, unless they make significant changes.

But it will be very interesting test case for this argument.

for whatever it's worth, their 'advanced stats' with Tavares in lineup had them around the 19th or 20th-spot overall in the league. that also seems like their likely arc next season. and if they add spezza or skinner? they might challenge for a wild card spot (not that i yet understand how that system works).

Edited by That Aud Smell

I like what you are proposing but if unless the Sabres have #1 and #2 overall after the lottery, ...

post-516-0-02152100-1400803005_thumb.jpg

No, seriously...just take one minute to think about how freaking awesome that would be if this happened...oh my god.

Edited by cdexchange

The New York Post notes the Islanders decided to retain their first round pick this summer, which means the Buffalo Sabres will get the Isles' selection in next summer's draft to complete the Thomas Vanek trade.

GM Garth Snow also says he's willing to trade his 2014 pick, which is No. 5 overall, if it'll help the Islanders.

“Absolutely," he confirmed. "We’re open to any deal that might make the team better. If that’s trading the pick for a player, standing pat and picking a quality player at No. 5, or trading it to move up or down, we’re open.”

Skinner, Spezza as mentioned or Evander Kane perhaps?

Edited by BRAWNDO

I posted this same message in the 2015 draft post

I'm hoping we have another bottom 2 finish. This franchise and fan base need a guy like McDavid or Eichel in the worst possible way. I said it awhile back that the Islanders wouldn't give us that 2014 pick not being in the top 5 plus I'm thinking they will try to do something to get Sam Reinhart that way they have 2 of the 3 brothers on their team. I see the Islanders pick being 8-14 but more towards the teens. They have a lot of young talent and if Strome can be better which I'm sure he will this team could be in wildcard contention. It all depends how and when Tavares comes back and how good he will be plus the state of their defense and goaltending. I'm not that excited about the Islanders pick anymore as I think Garth Snow is going to do everything in his power to make sure we don't have a top 5 pick.

Interesting move by the Islanders in keeping the pick this year. It suggests to me the following:

1. Snow is in full "win now at any cost" mode -- i.e. similar to the Bills' senior management, he's made a questionable long-term move in order to improve his prospects for next year. This will be reinforced if they trade this year's #1 for a roster player as has been suggested upthread.

2. They are not that close to a sale -- if they were, I think we'd have heard about the new owner and/or his hockey guys weighing in on this decision.

3. They do expect a sale to occur at some point -- so Snow knows he has to show improvement ASAP.

I would be shocked if the Islanders executed that #1 pick this year. The move that makes any kind of sense is to keep the pick and move it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.