Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

Is Kesler out of the question for the Isalnders? As mentioned in another thread, the Canucks need to consider rebuilding, Kesler may be their best option at starting that process. it would give the Canucks the #5 & #6 picks this year which opens up a whole bunch of options including using both picks to move into the top three. If I'm the Florida GM I'm listening if the Canucks offer #5 & #6 for the #1 overall. I originally thought Kesler to the Oilers for the #3 pick made sense. IMO, the same applies for the Islanders.

I think Kesler's issue might have been removed. (Torts)

But I think he's still in play.

O'Reilly is neither one dimensional nor soft. Any statement to the contrary is ignorant. That said, no F'n way the Avs move him.

Honestly, I don't think the Avs are prepared to match his salary requirements.

The Avs have some choices to make.

Do you think they let Stasny go to Market?

Yes. I think they choose to let Stastny walk so they can pay O'Reilly.

I agree that is what I would do, and what they will probably do. However, i don't think it is as black and white as you suggest. Stastny provides a vertern presence in the dressing room and arguable stops them becoming the Edmonton Oilers with their forward crop. He is defensively trustworthy, although ROR is probably better. He put up more points per game than O'Reilly in both playoffs and regular season. He also has a good chemistry with MacKinnon. Furthermore, he also centres their top line, whilst ROR wings their second.

I believe that Stasny is on the record as saying he'd be amenable to taking a "hometown discount" to remain with the Avs.

I think Statsny's mindset and O'Reilly's for that matter probably changed once Roy was brought in. I get the impression players like playing for him.

I agree that is what I would do, and what they will probably do. However, i don't think it is as black and white as you suggest. Stastny provides a vertern presence in the dressing room and arguable stops them becoming the Edmonton Oilers with their forward crop. He is defensively trustworthy, although ROR is probably better. He put up more points per game than O'Reilly in both playoffs and regular season. He also has a good chemistry with MacKinnon. Furthermore, he also centres their top line, whilst ROR wings their second.

Well, I really don't think the line 1/2 split is clear-cut in Colorado. Yes, Stastny played with Landeskog...but O'Reilly played with Duchene. Pretty hard to call either of those lines a clear #1 IMO.

I believe that Stasny is on the record as saying he'd be amenable to taking a "hometown discount" to remain with the Avs.

Of course he says he'd be willing to give a hometown discount, but what does that really mean? Does that mean 500k a year less than market, a million? Is that enough to make the Avs care?

Well, I really don't think the line 1/2 split is clear-cut in Colorado. Yes, Stastny played with Landeskog...but O'Reilly played with Duchene. Pretty hard to call either of those lines a clear #1 IMO.

Of course he says he'd be willing to give a hometown discount, but what does that really mean? Does that mean 500k a year less than market, a million? Is that enough to make the Avs care?

We'll have our answer before UFA of course. I tend to think that it would be beneficial for both sides to work out a reasonable contract with the team ascending into the status of being a perennial championship challenger.

Why does everyone think they have to let someone walk? They have $25 mill to sign Barrrie, Stasny and O'Reilly plus a couple of fringe players. I don't see the issue.

They've traditionally had an internal budget. Maybe now that they don't blow they'll become a cap team, but I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

Ryan O'Reilly is not physical, but he is hard to play against. He led the league in takeaways in 2013-14 (by a lot) and 2011-12, and was on pace to do so in 2012-13. He did this with considerably fewer giveaways than most players around him in takeaways. Only Marian Hossa and Jaden Schwartz had a higher (barely) differential per game this season.

Why does everyone think they have to let someone walk? They have $25 mill to sign Barrrie, Stasny and O'Reilly plus a couple of fringe players. I don't see the issue.

Ownership has been tighter there..... Or at least that's the reputation.

They let Oreilly sit out quite a spell as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Something just occurred to me: The Isles must want Reinhart very badly. Is there someone they have, whom the Sabres would want, who they could package to move up three spots?

Edited by Eleven

Something just occurred to me: The Isles must want Reinhart very badly. Is there someone they have, whom the Sabres would want, who they could package to move up three spots?

The Sabres would want Nielsem or Strome but that'd be counterintuitive for NY.

Edited by Tankalicious

Players like Kessler, O'rielly, and others are not what the Sabres should be looking for. We might want them because we heard of them, but what the Sabres really need to do is identify the players who are going to be the next ones in those positions. Think back 7-8 years ago, the Sabres identified Briere and Drury when people who knew they were but were not 'stars' in the way that Kessler and O'Riely are now.

If there are any trades to be made, I want them to be for players who I am not thinking of now, but after I think about it more and more after it does happen, I like it better than when I first heard of it.

Edited by mjd1001

No thanks to both. I don't move that pick for anything short of a blue chip forward. No, I don't think Strome is a blue chip forward.

It'd be moving down three spots. He was asking about moving down, not moving the pick straight up.

• 5 weeks later...

BrjL87kCcAARI_J.jpg

(The only issue I have with the infographic is that the draft picks really didn't go "out' they were transitional as they came in with the original trade.)

Traded 6 months of Thomas Vanek (and 1 month of McCormick) for Matt Moulson, Torrey Mitchell, Josh Gorges, a first round pick (with a shot at McDavid) and 3 picks in the first half of the second round.

That's Hershel Walker ###### right there.

H/T: Two in the Box

BrjL87kCcAARI_J.jpg

(The only issue I have with the infographic is that the draft picks really didn't go "out' they were transitional as they came in with the original trade.)

Traded 6 months of Thomas Vanek (and 1 month of McCormick) for Matt Moulson, Torrey Mitchell, Josh Gorges, a first round pick (with a shot at McDavid) and 3 picks in the first half of the second round.

That's Hershel Walker ###### right there.

H/T: Two in the Box

The Dallas Cowboys did turn those assets into championships, so lets hope history repeats itself.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.