Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

You must be his agent... Seriously, talented goal scorer, elite he isn't. When motivated he can be elite. But his inconsistencies relegate him to talented, but not elite.

Mmm. What does that make Phil Kessel ? Elite goal scorer but not elite talent ? I would think an elite goal scorer has an elite talent. This isn't on you ice but this argument is a bit bizAROOOOOOOOO

Talented players score at an all star level when surrounded by the right players. Elite players score no matter what, and take everybody else on his line to the next level. Kane, Crosby and Malkin are elite players. Vanek and Kessel are not elite players. Elite players don't play for 3 teams in one season.

Of course I'm talking about forwards.

The beginning of the end of Garth Snow's tenure as Isles' GM:

@TSNBobMcKenzie

NYI owner Charles Wang in talks to sell majority stake in NHL franchise. Nothing done yet, no telling if it gets done, but talks underway.

That's huge. Bigger than Snow being fired. Wang is the root cause of most problems with the Islanders. If he goes, I believe many of those problems can be fixed, starting with a new GM and potentially ending with a new arena somewhere that's not the low-capacity, awfully-sightlined Barclays Center.

It's also could be a good thing for the Sabres in the short term: if they enters procedure to sell, Wang or the new owner may be unwilling to fire the GM during the transition period for the sake of continuity. That could mean Snow's on board for another season, which is frustratingly horrible news for Islanders fans, but a lock for a top-five pick for the Sabres if the Islanders defer the 1st this year. The counter-argument here is that Wang is nuts, and may just fire Snow and hire a new GM before any deal is done. That's not entirely unreasonable, given Snow's performance.

That's huge. Bigger than Snow being fired. Wang is the root cause of most problems with the Islanders. If he goes, I believe many of those problems can be fixed, starting with a new GM and potentially ending with a new arena somewhere that's not the low-capacity, awfully-sightlined Barclays Center.

It's also could be a good thing for the Sabres in the short term: if they enters procedure to sell, Wang or the new owner may be unwilling to fire the GM during the transition period for the sake of continuity. That could mean Snow's on board for another season, which is frustratingly horrible news for Islanders fans, but a lock for a top-five pick for the Sabres if the Islanders defer the 1st this year. The counter-argument here is that Wang is nuts, and may just fire Snow and hire a new GM before any deal is done. That's not entirely unreasonable, given Snow's performance.

Mostly because that is what comes directly after Wang selling

And this isn't the Sabres, I don't think there is going to be any new owner willing to keep Snow around "for continuity", Its almost a lock that a new owner will step in and clean house of everyone in that organisation to try and turn things around

Edited by apuszczalowski

And this isn't the Sabres, I don't think there is going to be any new owner willing to keep Snow around "for continuity", Its almost a lock that a new owner will step in and clean house of everyone in that organisation to try and turn things around

I believe you, and when I wrote this, I figured that sales negotiations was going to extend a while, perhaps keeping Snow around until the beginning of next season (enough time for him to ensure his maximum dookie stain on the roster and team record). But according to TSN, there's a $75M loan repayment Wang might be trying to get out of at the end of the season, which could accelerate the sale and possibly Snow's departure:

The franchise loses an estimated $10 million per season and it has been reported that Wang and the Islanders face a $75 million loan repayment at the end of this season.

Elite talent makes the players around them better regardless. Vanek is very good but he is not Elite.

I agree with that. Very good. He's a top 30 type player in the league. But I would say more 20-30 end. You have younger talent coming in every year. He's still a very servicable player.

I believe you, and when I wrote this, I figured that sales negotiations was going to extend a while, perhaps keeping Snow around until the beginning of next season (enough time for him to ensure his maximum dookie stain on the roster and team record). But according to TSN, there's a $75M loan repayment Wang might be trying to get out of at the end of the season, which could accelerate the sale and possibly Snow's departure:

I say cancel out the move to Brooklyn and sell to a Seattle based owner instead. I wonder what kind of deal is signed with Barclay's that could block something like that.

I wonder what kind of deal is signed with Barclay's that could block something like that.

At what'll be the league's smallest venue, including view-obstructed seats? There couldn't be anything tying them down...

...except we're talking about on the league's worst owner and his oafish GM.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I say cancel out the move to Brooklyn and sell to a Seattle based owner instead. I wonder what kind of deal is signed with Barclay's that could block something like that.

I really don't think that the league wants to relocate a team to Seattle, I think they want to hold off a few seasons and go with expansion instead to 2 of the 3 of Seattle, KC, and Quebec

@NYIslanders

New York Islanders Owner, Charles Wang statement regarding recent reports of selling his majority stakes in the franchise...(1/4)

In recent months, there have been numerous expressions of interest in the purchase of the New York Islanders. (2/4)

As I have consistently stated, I have been and remain willing to listen. However, potential buyers expressions of interest in the team (3/4)

or even my listening to them does not mean that any deal will be reached." (4/4)

I really don't think that the league wants to relocate a team to Seattle, I think they want to hold off a few seasons and go with expansion instead to 2 of the 3 of Seattle, KC, and Quebec

They could always give a team to all three of those markets. Yes, they want the expansion fees and they will get them twice. I don't see any reason why they couldn't move a team to the third city.

At what'll be the league's smallest venue, including view-obstructed seats? There couldn't be anything tying them down...

...except we're talking about on the league's worst owner and his oafish GM.

Well, without seeing the lease it's impossible to know how "iron clad" it is, but I would expect that the Islanders will immediately become a top-10 revenue team once they move into that arena. I'd be shocked if the move to Brooklyn didn't happen.

Islanders GM in can't-win situation with draft pick

Kevin Allen, USA TODAY Sports April 1, 2014

New York Islanders general manager Garth Snow is in such an undesirable predicament that turning over a high draft pick to the Buffalo Sabres in June might be the most sensible play he has.

Snow put himself in this mess in the fall when he agreed to give the Sabres his first-round pick in 2014 or 2015 for Thomas Vanek.

When Allen says the Isles will draft fourth to sixth, that's not accurate, is it? They could win the lottery, right?

They could, in theory, finish as low as 2nd in the lottery draft order, too. Most likely, though, they will be 4 or 5. It would take a pretty big move to get down to 3 or up to 6. They do play Florida tonight, so that could be a double win for the Sabres, if the Panthers were to win.

Edited by carpandean

• 1 month later...

The Islanders have some young talent up and coming, but not enough chemistry, experience and time to put it together next season. In my opinion, it was a mistake for them to retain the 5th this year, I firmly believe they'll be top 5 again next year. They just don't have the chemistry with the oh so young talent yet to make it happen. Halak makes no difference for them this coming season, he'll be peppered, and he doesn't strike me as the type of netminder to rise to the occasion on that scale. I'd say 4th to 7th overall selection for the Sabres next season from them if that pick doesn't win the lottery. Not a bad haul for Vanek, not bad at all.

The Islanders have some young talent up and coming, but not enough chemistry, experience and time to put it together next season. In my opinion, it was a mistake for them to retain the 5th this year, I firmly believe they'll be top 5 again next year. They just don't have the chemistry with the oh so young talent yet to make it happen. Halak makes no difference for them this coming season, he'll be peppered, and he doesn't strike me as the type of netminder to rise to the occasion on that scale. I'd say 4th to 7th overall selection for the Sabres next season from them if that pick doesn't win the lottery. Not a bad haul for Vanek, not bad at all.

i just don't think the Islanders have the depth to get out of the bottom 10.

I'm not expecting the Sabres to be the worst team in the league again next season, then again, I don't think they'll be a playoff team either. I hope the Sabres will be able to land either McDavid or Eichel, but what are the chances the Sabres could land both? If they win draft the lottery (either with their pick or the one from the Islanders), would the Sabres make some moves (trade draft picks and or players) to draft both McDavid and Eichel?

It would be kind of funny with the number of times we've heard "they should have taken the Oilers picks for Vanek" if he wound up netting us McDavid.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.