Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

Interesting trade, I think the Sabres did well generally and if Molson wants to go elsewhere, the Sabres can pick up another draft choice. Though I am sad to see Vanek go. Wow, we all knew it would happen but now that it has happened, all I can say is I am shocked.

My next statement is don't let Darcy draft a center, give that authority to someone else because he clearly has no clue.

What in the world did people want for Vanek? No way were they going to get blue chip prospects with a posible MN team in play. If they would have waited until the deadline they would have gotten less, MUCH less.

Put the hatred for Darcy aside for a moment and be glad this happened when it did.

like that the move has been made. Like the picks. Moulson can score and will be more interested than TV seemed.

trade deadline will be interesting.

Miller is next and should fetch more as goaltending can win championships.

With respect, you're crazy if you think Miller is fetching anywhere near what Vanek did, let alone more.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Vanek's fleas are better, though.

I will definitely miss Thomas V. He was one of my favorite Sabres. When Regier rolled out his "rebuilding" meme last spring, we knew it would be the end of the good veterans - because guys like Vanek and Miller are not going to be happy in such a situation.

I thought they would have gotten more.

Darcy got two top picks next year and an underrated goal scorer who they may or may not be able to re-sign, the Isles got Vanek's services until he signs with Minnesota in 8 months. I think it's a terrific trade.

Say what you will about Darcy, he gets A LOT in return when he makes trades.

Darcy got two top picks next year and an underrated goal scorer who they may or may not be able to re-sign, the Isles got Vanek's services until he signs with Minnesota in 8 months. I think it's a terrific trade.

Say what you will about Darcy, he gets A LOT in return when he makes trades.

Actually, he gets a lot of POTENTIAL in return.

Does knowing that the 1st round pick will likely end up in the later half of the round phase anyone right now? and in a weak draft year no less?

We will see. Vanek will obviously help them but they don't have great D or goaltending from the parts of games I've watched. If this turns into a lottery pick then the trade is well worth it for a rental. If not, I still think we made the right move.

What in the world did people want for Vanek? No way were they going to get blue chip prospects with a posible MN team in play. If they would have waited until the deadline they would have gotten less, MUCH less.

Put the hatred for Darcy aside for a moment and be glad this happened when it did.

Good post. I'm devastated to see Vanek go. But considering the circumstances I think he made out well. Even better if they keep Moulson OR manage a 1st+ at the deadline.

How in the hell is a GM supposed to rebuild AND wait around for a draft class that suits him? Man, seriously grasping at straws.

A GM rebuilding the team he built. The whole notion is just so very interesting - like a home builder building a ###### house, and then declaring it's no good - and that he has gotta tear it down and start again. LOL And outside observers would expect the second home made by the same builder to be better than the first?

Edited by Jsixspd

Seriously, how can anybody actually predict if a draft class will be weak or not this far in advance? How in the hell is a GM supposed to rebuild AND wait around for a draft class that suits him? Man, seriously grasping at straws.

Well it's not like it's the kids' first year playing hockey. The people who scout them for a living have an eye for talent, I'm sure most teams already have early projections for the next two or even three years of draft eligible players. At this time last year we were all well aware of MacKinnon, Drouin, Jones... Barkov became a mainstream name shortly after. Didn't take long for Nichushkin, Monahan, etc to enter the mix. The only household name people know this year is Reinhart and I'm guessing anyone who isn't as hardcore a hockey fan as most of us are wouldn't even know that.

I don't watch any junior leagues so I have limited knowledge on up and coming prospects, but I think it's safe to say this year's draft doesn't really compare with last years.

If Moulson were a guy that played on a Stanley Cup team or two, I would think he might consider staying. But considering he's spend his career struggling on the Island then I don't see him staying around.

Also, I don't think the Islanders will be getting out of the first round or two. This pick could be anywhere from 12-22ish.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.