Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

And unfortunately, now that he is Tavares-free, he won't continue at his early pace this year and his value will drop.

Moulson's numbers have been good for a while so I think he should still fetch something for us by the trade deadline.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=71387

Edited by Robviously

They will then get a first or second for Moulson.

I doubt Moulson has much of a future here, he's in the last year of his deal as well, so the comparisons to the Pominville trade will have to include what they return for Moulson if he's dealt as well.

And now it's a four-year rebuild instead of three, I guess.

Jhonas chimes in:

Jhonas Enroth@JEnroth12512m

######! I'm not looking forward to play against the Islanders now! Good luck @T_Vanek26 on the island it was great to play with you! #wow

(Note: the board bleeped out the first word of his post. It's "sh!t")

Edited by Robviously

Yep.. point is Moulson is a 30 goal scorer when he has a center with him. Other teams know that his numbers will go down with the Sabres but they'll expect them to pick up when they acquire him.

Vanek had little value except to a team that could go for it this year. The Isles have the youth and are succeeding enough. Truthfully, if all the Isles did was swap a 30 goal scorer with a 35 goal scorer do you think they won this trade?

Speculating what other teams might have given for Vanek is pointless.. they didn't do it.

What comes from here is what makes or breaks this trade.

I'll withhold judgment on the deal until we know what we flip Moulson for. Although this does confirm that Kypreos' report of Darcy on the hot seat is crap, because no way they let him make this deal if he's got a foot out the door already.

Edit: Just want to echo some others' sentiments, that I cannot wait to see what Vanek does playing with Tavares.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I HATE this trade only because of Moulson. The picks were inevitable but I wanted a prospect to grow with our pool of prospects and youngings. So what happens here? Moulson signing an extension? Trading him too? He's a free agent at the end of the year as well

He has to be traded as well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.