Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I can assure you, the Sabres aren't trading back if they pick 2nd and Eckblad is there. They'll take him, and rightfully so. Why in the hell would you decrease your ability to accumulate bargaining chips?

Look, I know fans are already falling in love with Risto, Zad's, Pysyk and McCabe, but honestly, if we get Eckblad, it would be a coup, no doubt about it.

I'm all for offensive elite players in the draft, but you don't turn away from talent like Eckblad in a trade down, that's just insane.

I'll get flamed for supporting this but I completely agree. Again I must start by saying we are a long way from the draft and things can change but if Ekblad is considered by many to be much better than the next forward prospect and is still considered to be a truely elite D prospect I think you have to take him. I would much rather an elite forward prospect but if he's the concensus BPA come the Sabres pick (even if it's one) then I want them to take this kid. You can win alot of games with a very strong D and ofcourse this would open up the idea of trading one of the young guys or someone like Myers.

As someone mentioned above, players who garner OHL early exemption status in the draft usually end up going first overall in their NHL draft year. Interesting tidbit, 'Ekblad's application to be the only player to be born in 1996 in the OHL draft was approved unanimously...With approval Ekblad became the first defenceman ever granted "exceptional player" status.'

Edited by Derrico

Despite what is considered a shallow draft, and maybe because of it, there does not appear to be a lot of top end D prospects. Is that the reason for the low ranking or do D get considered later in the year because they often take so long to develop and harder to get a fix on unless they are considered elite?

Mixture of everything you just said and the fact that there are twice as many forward spots as dmen.

A prospect to consider with the Islander pick 2014 1st rounder:

Perlini named Pacific4Sports Forward of the Month

Future Considerations Hockey today announced that Brendan Perlini of the Niagara IceDogs as the Pacific4Sports draft eligible Forward of the Month for October.

Perlini, a product of Sault Ste. Marie, ON, was dominant during the month. The left winger tore up the score sheet, recording nine goals and 23 points in just 11 games. Perlini’s offensive outburst was punctuated by a three-goal, five-point night at the expense of the Owen Sound Attack on October 10th. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound also recorded at least a point in each of Niagara’s 11 games in the month.

“Perlini is a highly skilled player who is one of the best skaters in his draft year,” Future Considerations OHL head scout Jedd Jones said. “His big frame and puck skills make him hard to contain in the offensive zone. He is a dynamic player with a high hockey IQ. He is a threat to score every time he is on the ice.”

Perlini’s meteoric rise saw him jump from 50th in Future Considerations’ October ranking to 11th in November. In all, Perlini has 13 goals and 29 points in 17 games this season.

Also considered for the award was Conner Bleackley of the Red Deer Rebels and Nikolaj Ehlers of the Halifax Mooseheads. Bleackley recorded seven goals and 14 points in 11 games for Red Deer while Ehlers had four goals and 17 points in 13 games for Halifax.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Perlini does look pretty good.

Anyone like them some Alex Tuch out of Baldwinsville? Looks like he is doing quite well this year in the USHL and is a Boston College Commit. This would push his contract eligibility back a year or two meaning we wouldn't need to sign him right away.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=178526

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/alex-tuch/20539/

Dale Colle with a very impressive night Tuesday with 5 assists. Now sits at 11 goals and 22 assists for a rediculous 33 points through 18 games. That's good for second in the OHL. Yes it helps playing with Scott Laughton but this kid can flat out play.

You may ask when I'll stop posting Dal Colle's points every night, I'll stop when he goes off the scoresheet for a game.

Dale Colle with a very impressive night Tuesday with 5 assists. Now sits at 11 goals and 22 assists for a rediculous 33 points through 18 games. That's good for second in the OHL. Yes it helps playing with Scott Laughton but this kid can flat out play.

You may ask when I'll stop posting Dal Colle's points every night, I'll stop when he goes off the scoresheet for a game.

Don't stop! The scouts keep track of it all year, and if we're gonna be draft junkies, it's the way to go.

Here's a good article from future considerations. Talks about players to watch and discusses the potential first overall pick and how there is no concensus. Also gives a troubling quote about Reinhart from a Western scout and indicates this is the first time since 2007 there isn't really a consensus at this point. Keep in mind though that Patrik Kane went first overall in '07.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/directors-cut-race-for-no-1-wide-open/

Here's a good article from future considerations. Talks about players to watch and discusses the potential first overall pick and how there is no concensus. Also gives a troubling quote about Reinhart from a Western scout and indicates this is the first time since 2007 there isn't really a consensus at this point. Keep in mind though that Patrik Kane went first overall in '07.

http://futureconside...no-1-wide-open/

Last year at this time, there was a lot of debate between Seth Jones and Nathan McKinnon. Sure, they're on another level but there wasn't a SUPER consensus. When the Avs won the pick, TSN ran a feature basically saying that thought Jones was headed to Colorado.

It is interesting that we are all trying to educate ourselves early on draft potential players out there. I think this will really help us evaluate Darcy's decision making. Not so much in the first round though I have no doubt it will help, but the fact that so few players from the later rounds have made the big club.

My other criticism of Darcy is that in what are considered depth years, so few players have made it up the ranks, especially second rounders. I know the percentage is lower, but it is not 0. How many second round front line players are playing on the big club. Later round guys there are a few... but not many and certainly not guys that have second or first line talent.

The Sabres need to find some diamonds in the rough and Darcy has done another poor job at iding those guys.

Hard to say if any of the guys recently taken with all the 2nd round picks will develop, but you would think some of the previous years would have by now.

Ironically, the second rounders on the team right now are Larsson, Enroth, Tallinder and Weber. Larsson was gotten in a trade. The others are D guys, one who is ancient and Weber who is struggling. McCormmick was a 5th and Tropp was a 4th round. Flynn was an undrafted free agent.

Interesting, and almost more telling, the Sabres are loaded with middle to late first round picks including Ott. With all the picks coming and the one's taken the last two years. If the Sabres can't find some talented guys, its gonna be a mess in two years, worse than it already is.

Well in two years we can discuss Hurley (maybe, he is probably 3years away) Compher, McCabe, Baptiste, Possler. Now not all of these guys are 2nd rounders and some may not make the team but they have at least all shown something since the draft. Hurley being the biggest question mark but also the youngest... (Hurley is under 2 months older than Reinhart).

Also in 2009, 2010, 2011 the Sabres did not have a 2nd round pick to use. The last 2nd rounder prior to this year was 2008 and Luke Adam who for now is a good AHL guy. In 2012 we took Jake McCabe. So as much as I hate Darcy, he has done okay at drafting second round guys. Brennan and Shiestal being the exceptions although Brennan got us Possler's pick in the 5th round of 2013.

Darcy has moments but I don't think he is capable of putting it all together. I want him to prove me wrong.

Last year at this time, there was a lot of debate between Seth Jones and Nathan McKinnon. Sure, they're on another level but there wasn't a SUPER consensus. When the Avs won the pick, TSN ran a feature basically saying that thought Jones was headed to Colorado.

I think that was only because Colorado had the top pick. Any other team and it's McKinnon, no brainer. But the Avs are so deep down the middle that it lead some to believe the Avs may go D. Obviously didn't happen as I think everyone and their grandmother had McKinnon as the top pick.

It is interesting that we are all trying to educate ourselves early on draft potential players out there. I think this will really help us evaluate Darcy's decision making. Not so much in the first round though I have no doubt it will help, but the fact that so few players from the later rounds have made the big club.

My other criticism of Darcy is that in what are considered depth years, so few players have made it up the ranks, especially second rounders. I know the percentage is lower, but it is not 0. How many second round front line players are playing on the big club. Later round guys there are a few... but not many and certainly not guys that have second or first line talent.

Hard to say if any of the guys recently taken with all the 2nd round picks will develop, but you would think some of the previous years would have by now.

It's interesting looking back at Darcy's drafts and he seemed to trade away 2nd in multiple years whereas now we've traded for 2nd. It's too early too tell obviously but I have high hopes for some of our 2nd this past draft and the one before. He didn't have 2nd picks in 2002, 2009, 2010 and 2011. I'd say the only 2nd guys that would make your front line list came in 2001 with Jason Pomminstein and Derek Roy in the same draft. Two other notables inlcude Mike Weber and Enroth.

Actually, looking through his picks, I think he's done better in the 2nd round than the first. The only notable first rounder he drafted is Vanek. When you think of guys like Miller as late round picks I think Darcy's done better later in the draft than the first round.

Edited by Derrico

Well in two years we can discuss Hurley (maybe, he is probably 3years away) Compher, McCabe, Baptiste, Possler. Now not all of these guys are 2nd rounders and some may not make the team but they have at least all shown something since the draft. Hurley being the biggest question mark but also the youngest... (Hurley is under 2 months older than Reinhart).

Also in 2009, 2010, 2011 the Sabres did not have a 2nd round pick to use. The last 2nd rounder prior to this year was 2008 and Luke Adam who for now is a good AHL guy. In 2012 we took Jake McCabe. So as much as I hate Darcy, he has done okay at drafting second round guys. Brennan and Shiestal being the exceptions although Brennan got us Possler's pick in the 5th round of 2013.

Darcy has moments but I don't think he is capable of putting it all together. I want him to prove me wrong.

I'm not sure that any of what you've said justifies this statement. Adam being a good AHL player is irrelevant. While the AHL is important for development, you're not drafting for it. We have no idea what McCabe will be (even though I'm extremely high on him). He has been terrible at drafting in general.

I think that was only because Colorado had the top pick. Any other team and it's McKinnon, no brainer. But the Avs are so deep down the middle that it lead some to believe the Avs may go D. Obviously didn't happen as I think everyone and their grandmother had McKinnon as the top pick.

Here's a ranking from April... http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/4/13/2013-nhl-draft-rankings-seth-jones-valeri-nichushkin That's the consensus at that time and Jones was the leader. A lot of people were drooling over Jones. McKinnon flew onto the scene when people started talking about him taking a road that resembled Crosby's, but it died down a bit when Jones was tearing everything in his path apart.

I'm not sure that any of what you've said justifies this statement. Adam being a good AHL player is irrelevant. While the AHL is important for development, you're not drafting for it. We have no idea what McCabe will be (even though I'm extremely high on him). He has been terrible at drafting in general.

Luckily for us this entire argument of Darcy being good or bad at drafting is irrelevant, as its been stated several times now Divine is the one calling the shots in that department.

My only question is how far does that go back? He's been the director of scouting for some time but i feel like this was a development that came when Pegula expanded the scouting department a few years back. I like our recent picks, much more than perrsonn and zagrapan.

Luckily for us this entire argument of Darcy being good or bad at drafting is irrelevant, as its been stated several times now Divine is the one calling the shots in that department.

My only question is how far does that go back? He's been the director of scouting for some time but i feel like this was a development that came when Pegula expanded the scouting department a few years back. I like our recent picks, much more than perrsonn and zagrapan.

I wonder the same about how long Devine has been calling the shots.

But it's also irrelevant if you're picking first overall. Unless there's a huge debate, that's an easy pick. This year the obvious pick seems to be Reinhart (for us, Ekblad for some others). Next year will be McDavid.

I wonder the same about how long Devine has been calling the shots.

But it's also irrelevant if you're picking first overall. Unless there's a huge debate, that's an easy pick. This year the obvious pick seems to be Reinhart (for us, Ekblad for some others). Next year will be McDavid.

I was referring more or less to the second round draft picks that were being talked about, but yes in that regard if you're going first you are right, it should be an easy pick, generally speaking.

Start in 2005 and work your way forward. I started with that year because it is the first post lockout season with the major rule changes and marked a major shift in how guys have to play. Look at Rounds 1-3.

2005: 13 Marek Zagrapan, 48 Philipp Gogulla, 87 Marc-Andre Gragnani

2006: 24 Dennis Persson, 46 Jhonas Enroth, 57 Mike Weber,

2007: 31 T. J. Brennan (became Gustav Possler pick), 59 Drew Schiestel, 89 Corey Tropp

2008: 12 Tyler Myers, 26 Tyler Ennis, 44 Luke Adam, 81 Corey Fienhage

2009: 13 Zack Kassian, 66 Brayden McNabb, 104 Marcus Foligno (Sorry Foligno was 4th round had to fix the wiki entry)

2010: 23 Mark Pysyk, 68 Jerome Gauthier-Leduc, 75 Kevin Sundher, 83 Matt MacKenzie

2011: 16 Joel Armia, 77 Daniel Catenacci

2012: 12 Mikhail Grigorenko, 14 Zemgus Girgensons, 44 Jake McCabe, 73 Justin Kea

2013: 8 Rasmus Ristolainen, 16 Nikita Zadorov, 35 J.T. Compher, 38 Connor Hurley, 52 Justin Bailey, 69 Nicholas Baptiste

2014: 2first rounders, 3second rounders, 1third rounder

This indicates to me that since 2005 Darcy has done well at drafting NHL players in the first 3 rounds. Now how good those players were in the NHL is another story but we can't honestly say he sucks at 2nd/3rd round picks.

Edit: Kevin Devine being around has probably helped Darcy a ton but I can't separate that out because I wasn't in the room for anything outside the Zadorov pick which we all know was Devine.

Edited by LGR4GM

Start in 2005 and work your way forward. I started with that year because it is the first post lockout season with the major rule changes and marked a major shift in how guys have to play. Look at Rounds 1-3.

2007: 31 T. J. Brennan (became Gustav Possler pick), 59 Drew Schiestel, 89 Corey Tropp

2009: 13 Zack Kassian, 66 Brayden McNabb, 104 Marcus Foligno (Sorry Foligno was 4th round had to fix the wiki entry)

2010: 23 Mark Pysyk, 68 Jerome Gauthier-Leduc, 75 Kevin Sundher, 83 Matt MacKenzie

2012: 12 Mikhail Grigorenko, 14 Zemgus Girgensons, 44 Jake McCabe, 73 Justin Kea

2013: 8 Rasmus Ristolainen, 16 Nikita Zadorov, 35 J.T. Compher, 38 Connor Hurley, 52 Justin Bailey, 69 Nicholas Baptiste

This indicates to me that since 2005 Darcy has done well at drafting NHL players in the first 3 rounds. Now how good those players were in the NHL is another story but we can't honestly say he sucks at 2nd/3rd round picks.

Edit: Kevin Devine being around has probably helped Darcy a ton but I can't separate that out because I wasn't in the room for anything outside the Zadorov pick which we all know was Devine.

Oof, but the draft at center has been lacking even when they have been. Kassian was sent away and really is not a center. Ennis too small not really at his best at center. Foligno so far is the best of the bunch and he was what a 5th rounder. Catanacci, still waiting to see what he can do. Grigs and Gergs the jury is still out on, though both have shown some promise. Grigs maybe a better as a winger and Gergs is not a number 1 center, more a checking center.

What is glaring about this list is the good D drafted and the lack of centers capable of playing at the NHL level yet were a need since 2005. So, I don't think you can call Darcy's drafting ability a success, only again that he has an eye for D and is clueless when it comes to centers. His centers seem to have mixed success playing wing, but not center.

P.S. I have been yelling about this since 2005 as many others have. The proof to me is NHL ready within 2-3 years and on offense especially at the Center position the draft has been a black hole. Some promise occasionally, but a lot of fizzles.

Edited by North Buffalo

2006 he got a guy who might be a solid backup at best (we have no idea what he'll do as a starter) and a guy in Mike Weber who has been HORRIBLE this year. 2007 he got two big busts and then a kid in Tropp that we don't know about yet. 2008 and 2009 look good so far. 2010 looks good with Pysyk but is still unknown. The rest are complete unknowns.

So he had two good years, and two bad years with the rest being too recent to judge.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.