Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I take Reinhart as long as he's there at two, I'd take Ekblad if Reinhart goes #1 unless we can get a King's ransom from Calgary to move down to 4. At 4 I'd pick whosever left between Bennett or Draisaitl. Even with that said however I'd really just like to take Reinhart at 2

Wouldn't say that if you had known your own history, we've had our hands in everything that happened in the world.

We even helped shape the USA in so many ways.

Don't be so sensitive...

Take Reinhart and then make deals with the 3 number 2s using preferably Erhoff and some of those lame forwards to obtain more talented future assets any of those mentioned above.

As Eleven said centers. How many times have people who play and know hockey stressed you build up the middle. Find talented centers. They can always be moved to wing.

Edited by Icehole

Wait, I thought that Draisaitl was a center. He's listed as such everywhere that I've seen. Don't tell me that he's a "center" like Gerbe was.

He's a centre. A big centre.

Who makes plays and creates offence.

Like we haven't had since...?

Wait, I thought that Draisaitl was a center. He's listed as such everywhere that I've seen. Don't tell me that he's a "center" like Gerbe was.

I've always seen him listed as a LW.

Edited by Eleven

CENTER. Jeez. CENTER. Not Draizaitl, not Ehlers, not Ekblad. A CENTER.

How tough is this?

It's not tough, but we're still going to have to be on pins and needles for a week hoping the Sabres don't decide to get cute and screw this up. Being a Sabres fan is awesome, right?

Don't care. CENTER at 2. That's it.

I've always seen him listed as a LW.

I would read this report if you would like to know more about Leon but he is indeed a Center with a left handed shot. He played center all year for the Prince Albert Raiders and they were not a good team, Draisaitl carried them.

Leon Draisaitl: http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/06/nhl-draft-profile-5-leon-draisaitl/

"Leon Draisaitl is a big centre with excellent reach and stickhandling ability. He protects the puck very well, especially in the cycle game."

My 14 year old can do 15. WTF?

Yea, I'm sure you saw the thing about Bennett not getting any at the combine but the week after he got two supposedly. How he can only do 2 is still a WTF?

Draisaitl is absolutely a center. His vision is something this team hasn't had since Connolly got messed up. I think he projects to be very similar to Anze Kopitar and that's why he's the player I take at number 2. He's the kind of player the LA Kings would draft.

Draisaitl is absolutely a center. His vision is something this team hasn't had since Connolly got messed up. I think he projects to be very similar to Anze Kopitar and that's why he's the player I take at number 2. He's the kind of player the LA Kings would draft.

His size makes him so appealing, but his skating is so slow at times. Reminds me more of Malkin than anything else. Given the choice between Toews and Malkin, I take Toews all week and twice in the playoffs. Gimme Reinhart

His size makes him so appealing, but his skating is so slow at times. Reminds me more of Malkin than anything else. Given the choice between Toews and Malkin, I take Toews all week and twice in the playoffs. Gimme Reinhart

My problem with Reinhart and Bennett as well is that both of them seem to be the product of the poor competition they face. Where Ekblad and Draisaitl are actively battling in their highlight reels the Sams are just kinda...lucky. It's unsettling to me.

My problem with Reinhart and Bennett as well is that both of them seem to be the product of the poor competition they face. Where Ekblad and Draisaitl are actively battling in their highlight reels the Sams are just kinda...lucky. It's unsettling to me.

Leon definitely carried his team with a weaker supporting cast, but I don't think Reinhart is lucky. Kid showed up big time in the international tournament and the playoffs IIRC, something Drasaitl failed to do

Watch guys like Stamkos when he was in Sarnia. A lot of his highlights look like he's just coasting through. Great players dominate inferior competition.

Edited by Tankalicious

I think Leon will eventually play at 220/225 lbs. If the two or three guys at the top of the draft are relatively equal, my own preference is for the bigger, more physical player. I have a feeling that's the direction Murray wants to take this team (bigger and more physical).

BTW - the draft is only televised on the NHL network in the U.S.?

I think Leon will eventually play at 220/225 lbs. If the two or three guys at the top of the draft are relatively equal, my own preference is for the bigger, more physical player. I have a feeling that's the direction Murray wants to take this team (bigger and more physical).

BTW - the draft is only televised on the NHL network in the U.S.?

First round is on NBC Sports Net

Inferior competition? I have no idea how you came to this conclusion. Reinhart was the best player on his team in the same league, and Bennett was the best player in his team in the OHL. We're not talking about players from the Q here.

Watch guys like Stamkos when he was in Sarnia. A lot of his highlights look like he's just coasting through. Great players dominate inferior competition.

I'm not accusing them of coasting. My contention is that their talent alone isn't outshining the situations. I swear half of Bennett's goals happen with the goaltending no where near the net. Reinhart seems to score when teams quit playing defense. What I like about Draisaitl and Ekblad is that their play is what stands out over what their team mates and opponents are doing.

Inferior competition? I have no idea how you came to this conclusion. Reinhart was the best player on his team in the same league, and Bennett was the best player in his team in the OHL. We're not talking about players from the Q here.

I'm basing it on purely on video. Bennett and Reinhart are beneficiaries of defensive breakdowns and sloppy goaltending. Their teammates do a lot of work to draw attention away from them so they can score.

On the other hand Draisaitl and Ekblad are the guys drawing that attention. They're the ones breaking things down for their teammates.

I don't want Vanek part 2.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.