Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Oh please get of your high horse already, and think about people using english as a third language first.

I wasn't aware of this. Good on you for being multi-lingual. And even though you had not expressly said something like "hey, my bad, I'm not a native speaker, and I didn't realize throwing around 'retarded' to refer to something stupid or worthy of intellectual scorn was the equivalent of saying 'stupid n i g g e r'", I thought we'd moved on.

Then there was this:

Americans are masters at being offended on behalf of others. It's something of a national pastime. ;)

http://opinionator.b...type=blogs&_r=0

Nowadays everyone gets offended easy, so yeah i call people out for being to sensitive, and in no way was it used to insult a certain group of people.

To which I was about to respond, and then saw this:

No. Some of us just like coming to the defense of those who can't defend themselves because they're incapable or too few in number to make a difference. But sure, play the "America is soft" card. It's the laziest way out of actual compassion.

Calling somebody what you did is saying they're acting like the group mentioned. You're attempting to put them down by calling them that. So how is that not insulting that group of people? Using them as an example of a lesser group.

And I exhaled, in approval.

I think we can conclude that a word was used by a non-native English speaker (whose English is pretty good, btw -- good job on that) who didn't realize that over time that the word has become disfavored, and move on.

I'd like to, but he seems intent on characterizing those who stood up for the mentally disabled as being overly sensitive (i.e, unduly sensitive). There's nothing over-done or undue about the issue that's being made here.

No can do, I have two family members mentally challenged and I play hockey as well as being a fan.

Same here, on three of the four counts. I don't play hockey. And I'll never let it slide, and I won't let it go, when someone drops 'retarded' in that context.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Why the Canucks will move heaven and earth (and their 1st) to get Sam Reinhart

It’s hardly breaking news that the Vancouver Canucks covet local boy Sam Reinhart something fierce, since every team covets Reinhart, who currently captains the WHL’s Kootenay Ice in Cranbrook. This in mind, he’s sure to be off the board well before the sixth pick in next week’s NHL Draft, which currently belongs to Vancouver.

I think Ho-Sang will be the steal of the draft.

That piece was a well-calculated PR move by his agent/team

I find this kid fascinating.

Is he considered a risk because:

1) he is a bad guy?

2) he is a selfish player?

3) hockey hates independent thinkers?

I've seen some pretty strong negative things said about him, on and off the ice.

But I also know how conservative the hockey community can be.

He's just 17.

Can he learn how to fit into a team concept?

How badly does he want to be an NHL star?

Because he is so skilled; with maturity, he could be a home run.

I'd look at him very closely at 31 and I would take him in a heartbeat at 39.

We need skill and we have so many picks we can afford to roll the dice.

One thing I like about Murray is he won't be over dazzled by skill, or repulsed by an iconoclast personality.

He will only judge him by what he does on the ice.

Look, I like Chris Tanev, but this rumour that adding him to six is what Florida wants for the first pick is crazy to me.

Tanev is 24 and has eight goals for his entire career. I can't see him ever rising above a number three.

He's no better than Sekera and Sekera was the reported price for moving from 8 to 5.

The Canucks are trying to move to number one.

Horvat makes more sense value-wise, but do the Canucks make that move, given they will have at least one of Draisaitl, Nylander, or Ehlers to choose from at six and they get to keep Horvat. And do the Panthers really want to trade out of one just to acquire more forward prospects? If I'm Florida, organizationally, I like Ekblad over either of those options.

:wub:

It's really gonna suck when someone else picks him :(

I don't think you can take him over Reinhart, every statistic and most reviews out there that I've read has toted Reinhart as a clear-cut consensus for being the best forward in the draft. Given where the Sabres are, I don't think we can afford to miss out on him.

But....Ehlers just looks so damn good. The comparison to Kane is almost too good to be true, this kid plays like, and maybe has, the exact same skill set as, one of the best players in the world. The kids a rookie ffs and scored 49 goals, 104 points, in 63 gp!!! Aside from Zadorov, Girgensons, Risto, and our 2015 1st round pick, I'd offer any team but the Islanders anything we have in a cupboard to get back into the top 10 if he's still available.

CENTER. Jeez. CENTER. Not Draizaitl, not Ehlers, not Ekblad. A CENTER.

How tough is this?

Why not both?

Haven't seen this here yet, sorry if someone has though. Kris Baker has an interesting trade partner for the Sabres,

I'd be eyeballing the Detroit Red Wings as a partner. Ken Holland and crew currently sit at #15, but don't have another selection until #76. They have traded down in recent years, moving back two spots in 2013 and then trading out of the round in 2011 and 2009. I suspect they'd listen if Murray called. Or perhaps the Sabres can lessen the ante and get back into the later stages of the round much like Anaheim did in 2003, when a Ducks management team heavily influenced by Murray moved #36 and #54 to acquire the 28th pick to get Corey Perry. With that in mind, could it be possible that the Sabres offer #39 and #49 to Chicago in exchange in for the 27th overall selection? Like Detroit, Chicago is also without a second round pick.

http://www.sabrespro...ft-preview.html

Anyone have any ideas on who we'd target at 15?

Edited by WildCard

I get it, and I agree with you that we take Reinhart at #2, but we have more than one pick in the entire draft to use.

I won't hate Ekblad if he's the pick like I used to think, but I'm still somewhat on 11's side. Take a center at two. We need elite talent up the middle, not the talent level and risk a second rounder brings.

I won't hate Ekblad if he's the pick like I used to think, but I'm still somewhat on 11's side. Take a center at two. We need elite talent up the middle, not the talent level and risk a second rounder brings.

I'm agreeing/advocating for the bold above. Nobody's saying stock-pile second rounders, and I'm not saying we go back to Darcy Days and build from the outside-in.

I'm saying we take the three second rounders we have, and a prospect or Myers, and try and trade back into the top 10 or the teens.

Barbashev

I'd say good luck on that. Murray doesn't seem to like drafting Russians.

For instance, when Murray was Director of Player Personnel with the Anaheim Ducks from 2002-2005, he oversaw two drafts that yielded a total of 17 players. Seven of them went the NCAA route, three were European, and none of them were Russians. Murray was part of two drafts with the New York Rangers while serving as Assistant Director of Player Personnel. Sole decision-making was not part of the gig in the Big Apple, but six of the 13 picks were of European descent. Two Russians were taken high during that time despite a lack of a transfer agreement in the form of Artem Anisimov (2006, 51st overall), and Alexei Cherepanov (2007, 17th overall). The rising talent evaluator moved on to Ottawa from there. Of the 44 players taken between 2008-2013, no fewer than 11 (or 25%) of them were Swedes. The list includes highly regarded talents Erik Karlsson, Mika Zibanejad, Jakob Silfverberg, Robin Lehner and Markus Hogberg. They did not look to Finland, Russia, or the Czech Republic once during that time, while adding 14 players that were using the NCAA to advance their games.

I think it's also safe to argue that the market for Russian players hasn't been good for the last decade or so. Outside of Malkin and Ovi there wasn't much in the pipeline.

It appears Russia may be trending upward at the prospect level over the last year or two.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.