Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Are you the Ehlers fan around here? (or are you referring to someone else you like...or Grigorenko? lol, there's quite a few between.)

We're definitely on the same page...grab those two and get me Demko, and I'll call that an amazing draft..."perfect," to be honest.

I think they will be far and away the two best players from this draft, with a doubt in my mind. :thumbsup: (And again, I love Tuch and Virtanen, lol.)

I'm referring to Ehlers ;)

NS kept bringing him up so often that I had to do some research and check him out. Patty Kane 2.0 possibly, I'll sign up for that.

If we did the impossible I would want Reinhart and Draisaitl.

I'd take Ehlers of Drasaitl. Leon's just too slow for me. Plus, I feel pretty confident saying we are going to draft a center next year and our wings are empty. I know center is more important, but eventually we have to get some outside talent.

Angry Eleven? :ph34r:

:P

A #3 overall will almost certainly be an NHL player. As for being better than Myers, right now Myers is an inconsistent 2nd pairing Dman, that's not exactly irreplaceable. Yes his ceiling is very high, but I'd be lying if I said my faith hasn't been shaken the past two seasons. The #3 overall pick is likely to be equivalent to what Myers currently is, and very possibly can be better. If Edmonton was willing to deal #3 for Myers, I'm pretty sure I'd run up to the podium--this isn't like trading him for a current 3rd line player who has no upside.

Drouin

Galchenyuk

Huberdeau

Gudbranson

Duchene

Bogosian

Turris

Toews

Jack Johnson

So yeah, post-lockout that's a pretty good list. They're not all franchise-type guys, but they sure as hell are top 6/4 kind of guys (and we'll have to wait and see on Drouin).

I'd take Ehlers of Drasaitl. Leon's just too slow for me. Plus, I feel pretty confident saying we are going to draft a center next year and our wings are empty. I know center is more important, but eventually we have to get some outside talent.

Angry Eleven? :ph34r:

:P

If we traded what it would take to get into the top 3 again and took Ehlers I would be livid. There's a pretty strong separation after the top 4-5. Ehlers is behind the line, not ahead of it.

Also: players are restricted to just center. Some already call Draisaitl a winger. You can never have enough forwards capable of playing center... As we know all too well: you can have too few.

Edited by Tankalicious

If we traded what it would take to get into the top 3 again and took Ehlers I would be livid. There's a pretty strong separation after the top 4-5. Ehlers is behind the line, not ahead of it.

Also: players are restricted to just center. Some already call Draisaitl a winger. You can never have enough forwards capable of playing center... As we know all too well: you can have too few.

I'm really not sold on Drasaitl. I think he has a ton of potential, but I keep getting the feeling he'll bust. He can get away with lumbering around in juniors because of his size, but what happens when he can't rely on that against bigger, tougher competition? Everything he does just seems to be so slow. Ehlers is the exact opposite. His skates and stick are incredibly quick, and he gets off a quick wrister like no one else. If Drasaitl is already being heralded be some as a potential winger than a center, I'd rather take the speed and creativity on the outside with Ehlers. I don't think Murray gets unto the top 3 for him, you could probably get him at 5-7, but I'd rather have him than Drasaitl.

TSN: TOP 2014 FINAL DRAFT PROSPECTS

Listed is TSN's final NHL draft ranking - a compilation based on input from various scouts around the National Hockey League. Included are comparable rankings from TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button, The Hockey News, International Scouting Services, hockeyprospect.com, McKeen's Hockey and NHL Central Scouting.

Analysis: EKBLAD HEADS UP TSN'S TOP 60 FINAL NHL DRAFT RANKINGS

The 2014 NHL draft class can be forgiven for feeling as though it has a case of middle-child syndrome.

Which is to say, the top of this year's draft class is not as dynamic or exciting as the 2013 class of Nate MacKinnon, Sasha Barkov, Jonathan Drouin and Seth Jones and it's not as strikingly promising as the highly-anticipated 2015 slate of Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel and Noah Hanifin.

But it would be a disservice to damn Aaron Ekblad, Sam Reinhart, Sam Bennett, Leon Draisaitl and Michael Dal Colle with faint praise.

"They are all very good prospects, they're all going to play in the NHL, they all should turn out to be very good players for a long time," one NHL scout said.

But the draft is all about projection.

Bob McKenzie's NHL Draft Ranking Special <23:17>

Who is the likely first overall pick? Watch as Bob McKenzie unveils his top 30 picks for the upcoming NHL Draft in his annual Draft Ranking Special.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

It seems some of you think a mid-round first this draft is better than a player plus a late-round first next draft. Am I reading this right? I did see the suggestion once or twice within the past several pages.

first 16 what drafted when?

On the list from the post being discussed.

Crosby, Gagner, Kane, Drouin, McKinnon, Kane, Hall, Tavares, Brassard, Stamkos, Huberdeau, Strome, Seguin, Ryan, Couturier, Nugent-Hopkins.

Thank you for posting this stuff...much rather listen to this stuff, than the WGR on-demand section. lol.

Edited by Bob Malooga

Thought this was interesting...

Points per 60 minutes (i.e. adjusted for ice time) for draft eligible guys:

1. Robby Fabbri OHL 4.2

2. Sam Bennett OHL 4.1

3. Leon Draisaitl WHL 4.0

4. Nikolaj Ehlers QMJHL 3.8

5. Sam Reinhart WHL 3.7

BTW - Connor McDavid is ahead of all of the draft eligible guys above as a 16 year old.

I really hope Florida picks Ekblad.

Then there might be a huge change that we can make a trade with the Oilers that see us end up with the 2nd and 3rd overall pick. Question is what Defender would Edmonton want from Buffalo. They would also get a 2nd pick round as they dont pick until the 4th round. Buffalo has 3 2nd rounders so HELLO EDMONTON! But what Defender would Edmonton want? Pysyk? Ristolainen? Zadorov? McCabe?

If they trade Zadorov I would be stunned and disheartened. That dude is Chris Pronger for us for a decade + He is the absolute untradeable guy to me and Girgs is a very close second who I envision growing up to Mark Messier.

Thought this was interesting...

Points per 60 minutes (i.e. adjusted for ice time) for draft eligible guys:

1. Robby Fabbri OHL 4.2

2. Sam Bennett OHL 4.1

3. Leon Draisaitl WHL 4.0

4. Nikolaj Ehlers QMJHL 3.8

5. Sam Reinhart WHL 3.7

BTW - Connor McDavid is ahead of all of the draft eligible guys above as a 16 year old.

That's definitely interesting. Do they have points per 60 min at even strength? I was surprised to see reinhart a good amount below the others, but if he played a lot more minutes than the others on the penalty kill that could explain a lot

That's definitely interesting. Do they have points per 60 min at even strength? I was surprised to see reinhart a good amount below the others, but if he played a lot more minutes than the others on the penalty kill that could explain a lot

Even Strength Points per 60...

1 Sam Bennett OHL 3.5 2 Robby Fabbri OHL 3.4 3 Andrew Mangiapane OHL 3.4 4 Spencer Watson OHL 3.4 5 Nikolaj Ehlers QMJHL 3.2 6 Kris Schmidli WHL 3.2 7 Jayce Hawryluk WHL 3.2 8 Josh Ho-Sang OHL 3 9 Leon Draisaitl WHL 2.9 10 Nikita Scherbak WHL 2.8 11 Chase De Leo WHL 2.8 12 Lane Bauer WHL 2.8 13 Nicolas Aubé-Kubel QMJHL 2.8 14 Sam Reinhart WHL 2.8

It seems some of you think a mid-round first this draft is better than a player plus a late-round first next draft. Am I reading this right? I did see the suggestion once or twice within the past several pages.

This is a strange draft, IMO. The question marks start at #5 and after. Lots of value in this draft, but very few sure-fire players and very few players that project as first liners.

I'll admit I'm not too familiar with the tail-end of the 2015 draft, but if we can offer a late first round pick from 2015 (St.Louis), one of our many seconds in this year, and a player to get back into the top 7, I say go for it. This draft isn't deep at all, the consensus seems to be an 'elite' top 4, a good top 8/10, and then a pretty big drop off. Why do we need, IIRC, 3 second round picks in a shallow draft? Trade some, and what will most likely be a 20+ overall pick in the 2015 draft, and get back into the top 10 in this draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.