Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Speculation is all you'll get. Nobody has any idea what this actually means.

it means that the team with the most goals against in the NHL just lost their top center so in theory will score less goals meaning they will lose more games. I would guess that Snow will use his pick this year if they draft top 5. There isn't really a reason to include that provision unless you think it will happen and you want to use the pick if it does. (Yes i know they can do it if it is 10 or down)

I grew up near Keuka Lake and gotta say I miss how beautiful home is sometimes.

That being said we have updates:

2/20/14

Michael Dal Colle: 35g, 48a, 83pts, 57gp = 42g, 57a, 99pts, 68gp

Sam Bennett: 32g, 50a, 82pts, 49gp = 44g, 69a, 113pts, 68gp

Samson Reinhart: 32g, 56a, 88pts, 48gp = 45g, 79a, 124pts, 68gp

Jake Virtanen: 38g, 21a, 59pts, 60gp = 43g, 24a, 67pts, 68gp

My God Reinhart is having a great second half. I just hope if someone wins the lottery other than us it's the Oilers. I fear that if it's any other team they're taking Reinhart. Not that I don't think Bennett will be a good prospect because I really do but all signs point to Reinhart being the better player.

it means that the team with the most goals against in the NHL just lost their top center so in theory will score less goals meaning they will lose more games. I would guess that Snow will use his pick this year if they draft top 5. There isn't really a reason to include that provision unless you think it will happen and you want to use the pick if it does. (Yes i know they can do it if it is 10 or down)

that sir, is speculation :P

I'm done being a wise ass for the evening. I'm going home lol

Mhm. Still speculation.

My God Reinhart is having a great second half. I just hope if someone wins the lottery other than us it's the Oilers. I fear that if it's any other team they're taking Reinhart. Not that I don't think Bennett will be a good prospect because I really do but all signs point to Reinhart being the better player.

I was thinking about Reinhart... he reminds me of Van Reimsdyk when he was playing for UNH. Tall, bigger than most of the guys out there, good skater and really good ice awareness. UMass always put at least one guy on him and even that didn't always matter. Similar style with the puck, though Sam seems like a better puck mover and Van Reimsdyk was better in the corners and in front of the net. Just they both have upright skating styles and can get up and down the ice when they want to.

Latest rankings from the NHL Hockey Writers

Interesting read. I get the impression that Willie Nyalnder might be a steal if he drops out of the top 10. Seeing the combined rankings putting Draisaitl second indicates that people are a little behind. Draisaitl has had a weak 2nd half to his season and if you draft 2nd overall consistency is something you'd like to see. The only other thing I noticed was that everyone thinks this draft class lacks defenders of quality outside of 2 guys. Should be interesting to see how that plays out with Edm being so near the top.

Anyone else catch the discussion this morning about what could happen if the NHL does expand into Seattle for the 2015-16 season, as recent articles have suggested could happen?

An expansion team usually gets either the 1st overall pick or a decided advantage in the lottery. That could mean that Seattle may have the best chance at McDavid.

Edited by carpandean

Anyone else catch the discussion this morning about what could happen if the NHL does expand into Seattle for the 2015-16 season, as recent articles have suggested could happen?

An expansion team usually gets either the 1st overall pick or a decided advantage in the lottery. That could mean that Seattle may have the best chance at McDavid.

I think 2016 would be the earliest you would see a Seattle Team. With McDavid in play TP won't be the only GM not thrilled about adding a team next season. Also the sheer logistics of setting that up and getting it approved would take at least 2 years. You have to have the expansion agreement, the money, the building, how the team will get players, they would need to hire coaches and a gm... it is just too much to be done in roughly 16 months.

I brought this up a few weeks ago but got shot down saying there's no chance the nhl adds a team that soon....hope that doesn't happen. that would suck but I could see why the nhl would want that to happen. Screw the sabres, and get fans excited in Seattle about the next great one. Kill two birds with one stone

I think 2016 would be the earliest you would see a Seattle Team. With McDavid in play TP won't be the only GM not thrilled about adding a team next season. Also the sheer logistics of setting that up and getting it approved would take at least 2 years. You have to have the expansion agreement, the money, the building, how the team will get players, they would need to hire coaches and a gm... it is just too much to be done in roughly 16 months.

I hope you are right

Has the NHL had expansion happen before that left the league with an odd number of teams? My initial thought was it doesn't matter if Seattle is ready if another city isn't, but if they've done it before then it's probably irrelevant.

Well they are likely looking into expanding to Quebec City, Markham, Kansas City or Las Vegas to make it 32. Likeliness in that order. KC has an NHL-ready stadium that they built when they were extremely close to acquiring the Penguins.

Well they are likely looking into expanding to Quebec City, Markham, Kansas City or Las Vegas to make it 32. Likeliness in that order. KC has an NHL-ready stadium that they built when they were extremely close to acquiring the Penguins.

KC or LV would certainly help to avoid having to restructure the conferences again.

KC or LV would certainly help to avoid having to restructure the conferences again.

I think Quebec City deserves and leads the race for the second expansion team. I know they'd have to make a move to shakeup the conferences again, but they know they have a good market in QC. But I don't think the NHL is stupid enough to let conferences get in the way of a decision like this. They'd figure it out.

Could do the NFL's eight divisions of four teams:

Northwest:

Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Seattle

Southwest:

San Jose, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Phoenix

Midwest:

Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, Colorado

Somethingwest:

St. Louis, Dallas, Nashville, Columbus

Northeast:

Montreal, Quebec City, Boston, Buffalo

Southeast:

Tampa Bay, Florida, Washington, Carolina

Somethingeast:

Detroit, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia

Somethingeast:

New Jersey, NY Rangers, Brooklyn Islanders, Ottawa

Something along those lines. Even though they said they don't want to move Columbus back to the West. They could do the scheduling to make it so east and west aren't really relevant until the playoffs. Some strange divisions are created by a desire to keep certain rivalries in place.

Could also see four divisions of eight teams:

Northwest:

Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, St. Louis

Southwest:

San Jose, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Colorado, Dallas, Nashville, Columbus

Northeast:

Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Boston, Detroit, New Jersey

Southeast:

Tampa Bay, Florida, Carolina, Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York, New York

(Could swap New Jersey and Detroit with New York and New York or something like that)

Edited by Tankalicious

Seattles a great place and they have great fans. But I want that pick dammit ! I mentioned this a few weeks ago also and a few on the board thought it wouldn't happen in that timeframe but we all know if that beady eyed Bettman wants something done he'll get er done.

Seattles a great place and they have great fans. But I want that pick dammit ! I mentioned this a few weeks ago also and a few on the board thought it wouldn't happen in that timeframe but we all know if that beady eyed Bettman wants something done he'll get er done.

I think they've got the people in place to get it done, and, if they accept Key Arena as a temporary home, then it's going to get done quickly. I just hope they put them in the lottery instead of letting them have the first pick. Seems like it would be most fair to give them maybe the tenth pick just because giving them the first pick actually screws teams over. Giving them the tenth only affects slots once. Maybe give them the first pick in every other round.

I think they've got the people in place to get it done, and, if they accept Key Arena as a temporary home, then it's going to get done quickly. I just hope they put them in the lottery instead of letting them have the first pick. Seems like it would be most fair to give them maybe the tenth pick just because giving them the first pick actually screws teams over. Giving them the tenth only affects slots once. Maybe give them the first pick in every other round.

It would make sense that they would go into the lottery, however if they do not win does that mean they draft no worse then second? Starting a franchise with McDavid or Jake Eichel would be incredibly lucky.

Its possible the team with the worse record in the league could draft third next year.

I kinda changed my mind.

Let's pick Ekblad..

I know what everyone thinks... NO WE NEED SCORING!!!

my answer: yes we do but let's pick a great player, play him and still be bad next year for McDavid. Because if they pick Reinhart or Bennett its likely that they won't be the worst team in the league. They still won't make the playoffs but probably finish around 20th-25th

Has the NHL had expansion happen before that left the league with an odd number of teams? My initial thought was it doesn't matter if Seattle is ready if another city isn't, but if they've done it before then it's probably irrelevant.

Absolutely. There were 21 teams for a long time after the league absorbed the WHA teams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.