Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

FC releases March ranking for 2014 NHL Draft

CALGARY, AB Aaron Ekblad of the Barrie Colts remains Future Considerations’ top-ranked prospect for 2014.

Ekblad topped Future Considerations’ March ranking for the 2014 NHL Draft, a spot he’s held since taking over the position from Sam Reinhart of the Kootenay Ice on December’s list. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound defenseman has 21 goals and 47 points in 52 games this season.

Reinhart remains second directly behind Ekblad. The 18-year-old is Future Considerations’ top forward and hasn’t been ranked lower than second all season. He’s set the Western Hockey League on its ear of late and has a career-high 94 points in 53 games this season.

Sam Bennett, one of two Kingston Frontenacs skaters to make the top-30, is third. William Nylander of MoDo, the top-ranked European skater, and Nick Ritchie of the Peterborough Petes round out the top-5.

At 13, Boston College’s Thatcher Demko is the top-ranked goaltender for the 2014 NHL Draft.

Any player we can get in the top 3 should be a solid player. I really think Edmonton takes Ekblad if they end up with a top 3 pick with us. Reinhart or Bennett should be a good prize if we don't land 1st overall. I would much rather get the 1st overall next year and have the second or third pick in this years draft.

Potentially next year we go have 1st and 2nd overall picks...

Potentially next year we go have 1st and 2nd overall picks...

Potentially, yes, but not assuredly unless the Sabres gobble up another 10 or so picks.

This is the part of the McDavid stakes that bugs me greatly. I dig the stock-piling of picks for next year's draft, but unless the Sabres fortunes turn around, they won't win the lottery despite a cache of picks. Or, they'll announce Seattle is ready to go in 2015-16 and they get first dibs.

Any player we can get in the top 3 should be a solid player.

This may be true, but I'd rather our guys make the decision on who we get, not the other teams.

I would much rather get the 1st overall next year and have the second or third pick in this years draft.

There's not many that wouldn't agree with you.

Potentially, yes, but not assuredly unless the Sabres gobble up another 10 or so picks.

This is the part of the McDavid stakes that bugs me greatly. I dig the stock-piling of picks for next year's draft, but unless the Sabres fortunes turn around, they won't win the lottery despite a cache of picks. Or, they'll announce Seattle is ready to go in 2015-16 and they get first dibs.

Yup it is a crap shoot and that is what sucks. I hope we start improving next year. Sitting at the bottom for another year will suck but seems inevitable. I just hope that we do get a good pick next year and I really hope we get Reinhart or Bennett this year.

Yup it is a crap shoot and that is what sucks. I hope we start improving next year. Sitting at the bottom for another year will suck but seems inevitable. I just hope that we do get a good pick next year and I really hope we get Reinhart or Bennett this year.

I think the outlook on next season depends on what happens between today and sometime next October. We, the Sabres fanbase, are pretty up on our prospects and AHLers...if Murray creates a stew that looks like it needs just another season to cook, I think folks would be happy to go through one more throw-away season knowing what's to come.

Obviously, the Sabres would be happy to let the 2015 draft conversation continue unabated as well, as it would give the next season a definitive context.

Edited by sizzlemeister

I think the outlook on next season depends on what happens between today and sometime next October. We, the Sabres fanbase, are pretty up on our prospects and AHLers...if Murray creates a stew that looks like it needs just another season to cook, I think folks would be happy to go through one more throw-away season knowing what's to come.

Obviously, the Sabres would be happy to let the 2015 draft conversation continue unabated as well, as it would give the next season a definitive context.

I think the casual Sabres fan has very little idea who Risto/Zadarov/Armia are, let alone some of the other prospects that the board is excited about in McCabe, Compher etc.

I would caution against thinking this board is a representative sample of Sabres fans in general.

I think the casual Sabres fan has very little idea who Risto/Zadarov/Armia are, let alone some of the other prospects that the board is excited about in McCabe, Compher etc.

I would caution against thinking this board is a representative sample of Sabres fans in general.

I agree, you see a lot of single an double digit posters coming in here around this time tossing some of those prospects names around like they are nothing because they have no ###### clue.

I agree, you see a lot of single an double digit posters coming in here around this time tossing some of those prospects names around like they are nothing because they have no ###### clue.

Like the guy in the Rumors/BS thread that assumes we can trade for the 2015 #1 overall? yeah we are the only team who think McDavid will be good. :bag:

Like the guy in the Rumors/BS thread that assumes we can trade for the 2015 #1 overall? yeah we are the only team who think McDavid will be good. :bag:

Actually what really annoyed was the Ehrhoff for a 2nd... Christian Ehrhoff for a 2nd would be the biggest deadline steal in recent memory.

But yea next year you ain't trading for the 1st overall pick. it isn't happening

Here's where we are, btw.

2014: 1 (BUF), 2 (BUF), 2 (MIN), 2 (WIN), 3, 5, 6, 6 (WSH), 7

2014 Conditional gained: 1 (NYI doesn't defer), 1 (STL if Miller signs or makes WCF)

2014 Conditional lost: 2 (BUF), 3 (BUF) (if Miller signs or makes WCF)

2015: 1 (BUF), 1 (STL), 2 (BUF), 4, 5, 6, 7

2015 Conditional gained: 1 (NYI does defer)

So over the next two drafts, that's possibly three picks in the top 3, three additional picks in the top 33, and three more picks in the top 63, totaling nine picks possibly in the top 63.

Also, teams we want to lose to maximize draft pick positions: NYI, MIN, WIN, and STL (only if Miller signs).

Here's where we are, btw.

2014: 1 (BUF), 2 (BUF), 2 (MIN), 2 (WIN), 3, 5, 6, 6 (WSH), 7

2014 Conditional gained: 1 (NYI doesn't defer), 1 (STL if Miller signs or makes WCF)

2014 Conditional lost: 2 (BUF), 3 (BUF) (if Miller signs or makes WCF)

2015: 1 (BUF), 1 (STL), 2 (BUF), 4, 5, 6, 7

2015 Conditional gained: 1 (NYI does defer)

So over the next two drafts, that's possibly three picks in the top 3, three additional picks in the top 33, and three more picks in the top 63, totaling nine picks possibly in the top 63.

Also, teams we want to lose to maximize draft pick positions: NYI, MIN, WIN, and STL (only if Miller signs).

I thought the two picks we give up if Miller re-signs or make the WCF are Minnesota's 2nd and our 3rd.

So this is the thread where many of us will live for the next few months...

Yep, that and the 2015 NHL Draft thread created in May :P

So, with the Islanders not receiving a 1st back, and Snow feeling the pressure a ton now, is it safe to assume they will defer to next draft?

Yep, that and the 2015 NHL Draft thread created in May :P

So, with the Islanders not receiving a 1st back, and Snow feeling the pressure a ton now, is it safe to assume they will defer to next draft?

I would assume so. Snow's ass has to be feeling pretty chapped right now.

Okay I just got done listening to Murray from yesterday. I have to say I think I know how he will draft. He clearly values size and skating combined. That said I think Jake Virtanen may be a target if they can get him in the 9-12 range. He is 6'1" 209lbs and is insanely good on his skates. The other guy would be Alex Tuch who is a big kid.

That being said TM went out and saw Nikolaj Ehlers (he has gone to look at most of the top guys) and seemed to like what he saw.

Virtanen is #18 and he has a sick shot

Okay I just got done listening to Murray from yesterday. I have to say I think I know how he will draft. He clearly values size and skating combined. That said I think Jake Virtanen may be a target if they can get him in the 9-12 range. He is 6'1" 209lbs and is insanely good on his skates. The other guy would be Alex Tuch who is a big kid.

That being said TM went out and saw Nikolaj Ehlers (he has gone to look at most of the top guys) and seemed to like what he saw.

Virtanen is #18 and he has a sick shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEg2SaGiQhI

:wub:

Might as well start now ...

EHLERS!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.