Worst team in Franchise History

papazoid

The Sabres have already done the heavy lifting to garner a top 3 pick in each of the next two drafts. They are terrible. Why throw away all the "work" done to get there? If Darcy really knew what he was doing they would already have McKinninon. Right now would be the worst time in franchise history to give away picks for a band aid.

Do you want to give up Bobby Ryan, Evgeni Malkin (Eric Staal if you go three #2 overall picks)

for Ryan O'Reilly or Derrick Brassard?

The Sabres have already done the heavy lifting to garner a top 3 pick in each of the next two drafts. They are terrible. Why throw away all the "work" done to get there? If Darcy really knew what he was doing they would already have McKinninon. Right now would be the worst time in franchise history to give away picks for a band aid.

Do you want to give up Bobby Ryan, Evgeni Malkin (Eric Staal if you go three #2 overall picks)

for Ryan O'Reilly or Derrick Brassard?

I agree -- giving up picks this high in order to sign an RFA makes no sense unless the RFA is a truly elite player -- like Stamkos a couple of years ago. The RFAs this year aren't at that level.

• 1 month later...

The only two + players on the team are Brayden McNabb and Chad Ruhwedel. Special mention to Luke Adam who's even

Without doing a lot a analysis, I think you'll find that any team that's -50 it'll be pretty rare to find players that are +. Edmonton has 7 guys on the "roster" (players that have played this season) that are 0-5 points, and only one of those players (at +2) has played anywhere near all season (39 games). Interestingly enough, the Pens have 12 - players, 5 even players, and 15 + players. 7 of those negative players have played 30+ games.

Some random stats headed into the break:

We have just 9 ROW (regulation and overtime wins). The next team has 15 (Florida).

We have 110 goals. Chicago has 207 (97 goal difference). The next lowest is 135 by NJ (25 goal difference).

We have a -62 goal differential. St. Louis is a +61. That's a +/- 123 difference. Next is Edmonton with a -46 (+/- 16 difference).

I

Some random stats headed into the break:

We have just 9 ROW (regulation and overtime wins). The next team has 15 (Florida).

We have 110 goals. Chicago has 207 (97 goal difference). The next lowest is 135 by NJ (25 goal difference).

We have a -62 goal differential. St. Louis is a +61. That's a +/- 123 difference. Next is Edmonton with a -46 (+/- 16 difference).

I hate to judge before all he facts are in, but it beginning to look like this is a very bad team.

• 1 month later...

quite possibly.

I hope someone out there has compared the numbers to the yearly league average. Pittsburgh was the highest scoring team in 2011-12 with 282 goals. Detroit was worst in the league in 1985-86 with 266 goals (80 game season, a year I picked randomly). Obviously goal scoring isn't what it used to be.

Edited by shrader

@DaveDavisHockey: The Sabres need 19 goals in their 11 remaining games to avoid being the @NHL's worst scoring team, in terms of goals per game, since 1936.

Worst team in league history?

Here's something to chew on...... the Sabres need to score 27 goals in the last 15 games to keep from being the worst offensive team in the NHL in the last 78 years.

2013-14 Sabres 1.86 GPG (current)

1998-99 Lightning 1.84 GPG

1936 Canadiens 1.71 GPG

I just heard today that the Sabres have a chance of scoring the least goals in a NHL season since 1936. I'm pretty sure the number they said was 19 goals or less, so the Sabres have 11 games to score 20 goals. Stafford and Ennis are going to need a couple of hatricks.

:doh: Doh, I'm sorry, I didn't see the post from JJFIVEOH, that is quoted right above this post.

Edited by kishoph

I just heard today that the Sabres have a chance of scoring the least goals in a NHL season since 1936. I'm pretty sure the number they said was 19 goals or less, so the Sabres have 11 games to score 20 goals. Stafford and Ennis are going to need a couple of hatricks.

The d and goalies aren't too bad though. :doh:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.