Worst team in Franchise History

papazoid

I remember going to a Sabres game in '75-76 vs the Washington Capitals. The Sabres won 14-2.

The year before that was their first year in the NHL and the Caps went an NHL worst 8-67-5 with 181 GF and 446 GA and 21 points all year.

That was the worst team I ever saw and these Sabres, as dismal as they are, at least keep the scores relatively respectable. Plus we already have six wins, although only two were in regulation. Who knows, if these Sabres were back in '74-75 we'd only have two wins through Dec. 1 so maybe 8 wins all year might have been attainable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ7IA8WeMAg

Edited by 716

If it seems to you that the Buffalo Sabres basically never score, you’re not imagining things.

The Sabres have the NHL’s worst offense, having scored a sickly 1.61 goals per game over their first 28 contests.

The Sabres have just 45 goals in their 28 games, and have been shut out or scored one goal in 13 of them.

Keeping their NHL-worst pace over 82 games, the Sabres would finish with just 132 goals – and that would be by far the lowest total in NHL history in the expansion era that dates to 1967.

The 1997-98 Tampa Bay Lightning hold the current post-expansion mark for scoring futility with 151 goals.

http://www.buffalone...d-year-20131203

Edited by papazoid

The team is on pace for 40 points now (39.58). Six teams currently have more than that. 23 of the 30 teams have at least twice as many points as the Sabres. Two teams have three times as many points as the Sabres.

And now with Edmonton and Florida winning we could go on a 3 game winning streak (probably 1-0 victories in the shootout given our inability to score goals) and still be in sole possession of last place.

If it seems to you that the Buffalo Sabres basically never score, you’re not imagining things.

The Sabres have the NHL’s worst offense, having scored a sickly 1.61 goals per game over their first 28 contests.

Now it's down to 1.59 The Chicago Blackhawks, by contrast, are scoring over 2x as many goals per game on average as Buffalo. That's an amazing disparity. Even the Maple Leafs are scoring on average 1 more goal per game.

Couple that with the 7th worst goals against in the NHL (3.03 per game) and it's amazing the Sabres have any points or have won any games at all.

Our best goal scorer for the season - Hodgson - is 61st in the league. Our 2nd best scorer is Tyler Ennis with 5 goals now - and he's 161st in the NHL. Marcus Foligno is number 3, with 3 goals, ranking 281st. And it plummets from there.

We don't have a single offensive player whose scoring would rate being a 1st liner or even 2nd liner on most teams.

Now it's down to 1.59 The Chicago Blackhawks, by contrast, are scoring over 2x as many goals per game on average as Buffalo. That's an amazing disparity. Even the Maple Leafs are scoring on average 1 more goal per game.

Couple that with the 7th worst goals against in the NHL (3.03 per game) and it's amazing the Sabres have any points or have won any games at all.

Our best goal scorer for the season - Hodgson - is 61st in the league. Our 2nd best scorer is Tyler Ennis with 5 goals now - and he's 161st in the NHL. Marcus Foligno is number 3, with 3 goals, ranking 281st. And it plummets from there.

We don't have a single offensive player whose scoring would rate being a 1st liner or even 2nd liner on most teams.

Coho is - you have to remove Dmen from the list. Also it is a little midleading as our talent pool is very dilute, so everyone's stats suffer.

We're still on target for the 39 point mark roughly, so we could become the worst team in like the last two decades...

Teams 29 and 28 have 21 points. Team 30 has 14. The second worst team in the league is 50% better than us :P

Coho is - you have to remove Dmen from the list. Also it is a little midleading as our talent pool is very dilute, so everyone's stats suffer.

We're still on target for the 39 point mark roughly, so we could become the worst team in like the last two decades...

Teams 29 and 28 have 21 points. Team 30 has 14. The second worst team in the league is 50% better than us :P

Good point on the team talent. It's hard to say where some of these guys would land on other teams. Except Hodgson, he's clearly a top-6 forward. Screw the haters! :P

I want everyone who thinks this team is going on a run to read your last point, and then re-read it. We may not win the lottery, but we'll damn sure have a better chance than any other team.

I think we've had a real coach here long enough to see what we really have now:

Miller and Enroth are a good goaltending tandem

Ott and Leino are two-thirds of a good third line

Hodgson is a second-line centre

Myers and Ehrhoff are top-four defencemen

Ennis and Moulson are complementary offensive pieces, who need to play with better players

Because of age, or lack of skill, everyone else is just a body.

Good point on the team talent. It's hard to say where some of these guys would land on other teams. Except Hodgson, he's clearly a top-6 forward. Screw the haters! :P

I want everyone who thinks this team is going on a run to read your last point, and then re-read it. We may not win the lottery, but we'll damn sure have a better chance than any other team.

Which is a 25% chance of winning. That and $2.50 gets you on the subway -- but it most likely doesn't get you Reinhardt.

Is there any doubt in your mind that we'll end up with #2 (literally and figuratively)?

Thanks a million Darcy.

Which is a 25% chance of winning. That and $2.50 gets you on the subway -- but it most likely doesn't get you Reinhardt.

Is there any doubt in your mind that we'll end up with #2 (literally and figuratively)?

Thanks a million Darcy.

My guess is if we don't pick #1 we probably won't pick #2 either. If Reinhart went #1 I see us trading #2 to whoever is sitting 3-6 that wants Eckblad the most. In this draft that is not an entirely bad scenario.

My guess is if we don't pick #1 we probably won't pick #2 either. If Reinhart went #1 I see us trading #2 to whoever is sitting 3-6 that wants Eckblad the most. In this draft that is not an entirely bad scenario.

Then we can draft Dal Colle or Draisaitl... or Nylander... should be interesting either way.

Thanks a million Darcy.

Enough of the other bottom teams need defense that even if we end up #2 there's a good chance we get Reinhart.

On a broader point, I refuse to give in to the "it's Buffalo, of course 'negative thing' will happen". We should have picked higher last year, and we are clearly the worst team in the league this year. And we're long overdue for some good luck. This is our year dammit!

Enough of the other bottom teams need defense that even if we end up #2 there's a good chance we get Reinhart.

On a broader point, I refuse to give in to the "it's Buffalo, of course 'negative thing' will happen". We should have picked higher last year, and we are clearly the worst team in the league this year. And we're long overdue for some good luck. This is our year dammit!

How about "you reap what you sow?"

We are still making our way out of the long shadow of Black Sunday and the DR cloud of loserdom. We traded away our 2 best forwards in order to intentionally ice a terrible team. There are more Rangers and Leafs fans at the FNC than Sabres fans. Why do we deserve a 1-in-4 longshot to hit?

How about "you reap what you sow?"

We are still making our way out of the long shadow of Black Sunday and the DR cloud of loserdom. We traded away our 2 best forwards in order to intentionally ice a terrible team. There are more Rangers and Leafs fans at the FNC than Sabres fans. Why do we deserve a 1-in-4 longshot to hit?

Because the Hockey gods are happy with our sacrifice. Why does anyone deserve anything? Edmonton or Pittsburgh? NYI or Buffalo? Do any of them really deserve to have top picks?

I'm sure someone said this 20 years ago when we were losing our fourth straight Super Bowl.

Not a terrible idea. I'd almost want to draft Ekblad at that point and trade one of our young dmen for a forward prospect or another first this year.

Not a terrible idea. I'd almost want to draft Ekblad at that point and trade one of our young dmen for a forward prospect or another first this year.

I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure what we really need (a top-3 forward) could be had for one of our D-prospects. I'd be thinking of trading pick #2 for someone's 3-6 pick *and* a solid forward prospect (I'm looking at you, Edmonton!). That being said, I'm not sure top-3 prospect+pick 3-6 == #2 (Ekbald) alone.

I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure what we really need (a top-3 forward) could be had for one of our D-prospects. I'd be thinking of trading pick #2 for someone's 3-6 pick *and* a solid forward prospect (I'm looking at you, Edmonton!). That being said, I'm not sure top-3 prospect+pick 3-6 == #2 (Ekbald) alone.

I know. I'm just saying that it wouldn't be the worst-case. I'd STRONGLY prefer a forward. Honestly, if we don't get number one I still think we end up with Reinhart. At the very top, you consider need when it's close like it is between Ekblad and Reinhart. Teams like the Isles, Oilers and Panthers might consider a dman before another forward. Especially Edmonton.

It'd be interesting to see what we'd do if we ended up with both Reinhart AND McDavid. Who do we move to wing between those two and Hodgson? Obviously McDavid stays at center. I don't think I could see Hodgson on the wing, and I don't know if you want to tango with him going back to the bottom six. Obviously could trade one. Good problem to have if it ever gets there.

Edited by DStebb

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.