The Captain

Doohickie

If it's me, it's Vanek with Ott as his chief lieutenant.

The perfectionist and the no-holds-barred optimist

Doesn't matter to me that they are in their last contract year.

More importantly, it doesn't matter to Rolston.

I'd give the other A to the guy they would like to groom as the most likely leader among the young guys — most likely Hodgson.

Edited by dudacek

If it's me, it's Vanek with Ott as his chief lieutenant.

The perfectionist and the no-holds-barred optimist

Doesn't matter to me that they are in their last contract year.

More importantly, it doesn't matter to Rolston.

I'd give the other A to the guy they would like to groom as the most likely leader among the young guys — most likely Hodgson.

I agree with this.

Vanek gets it and that cements his exit from Buffalo. Just like Drury, Danny, Rivet, and Pomenville. It happens so often they even mention it in NHL video games.

And sadly, I may also agree with this :(

Did our pomminstein autocorrect get erased?

I think that's only of you misspell it with 2 M's. I misspelled it with a wrong vowel. Doh

Edit: I'd like to blame the phone, but I'm better than that lol.

Edited by ubkev

Just curious, why not?

Culmlative opinion based on watching him over the years and personal bias.

Do you ever wonder why he NEVER gets interviewed between periods? I do. He pouts when it isn't going well. I think a Captain leads. He strikes me as the anti-Captain. I want a strong personality to be in charge, Precisely why I hated the Pominville selection. I think teams should channel their Captain. Ott strikes me as a natural Captain. Vanek is a heckuva hockey player, just not a Captain.

Edited by wjag

I'll throw this out there: Forget about whether a player is in the last year of a contract. Pick the best captain for this year. If they leave, they leave, regardless of whether they were named captain.

Do you ever wonder why he NEVER gets interviewed between periods? I do. He pouts when it isn't going well.

He pouts when it's going well, too.

Do you ever wonder why he NEVER gets interviewed between periods? I do. He pouts when it isn't going well. I think a Captain leads. He strikes me as the anti-Captain. I want a strong personality to be in charge, Precisely why I hated the Pominville selection. I think teams should channel their Captain. Ott strikes me as a natural Captain. Vanek is a heckuva hockey player, just not a Captain.

Vanek holds on too tight enough as it is. Let him create and just play hockey. If he needs the A as an honorarium (and I doubt he does), give it to him, but by all means, do not make him the captain.

Not that I have any clue, but I don't see a captain yet. Maybe one will emerge out of the viscous vapidity left behind from having Ruff as our captain for so many years

EDIT: TB you beat me to it.

Silliness.

Your captain: Christian Ehrhoff. EDIT: And then we can have more auto-correct fun.

Edited by Eleven

Not that I have any clue, but I don't see a captain yet. Maybe one will emerge out of the viscous vapidity left behind from having Ruff as our captain for so many years

EDIT: TB you beat me to it.

I feel like we're at that tenuous stage where the last pieces of the old guard are almost out the door. We have to honor them till they move on and then we can slap letters on our new core. If we start doing it now it would be awkward. "Sorry Thomas, we're giving your C to Cody".

I agree with those that think Vanek is too moody to be a captain. There's a difference between being pissed at the way the team is performing and being visibly frustrated with how things are going for you on the ice.

Ott for the C until Girgs is ready. And there is no doubt in my mind that Girgs will be ready sooner than later. You just can't teach the will to block shots when you are 11 goals down in a game. Hodgson may not like being an "A" so he will just have to duck when Girgs chucks the boombox across the room after a poor effort by the boys.

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

Vanek has never struck me as Captain material. I say give it to Ott.

Vanek holds on too tight enough as it is. Let him create and just play hockey. If he needs the A as an honorarium (and I doubt he does), give it to him, but by all means, do not make him the captain.

Agreed with wjag and 11. While Vanek is clearly our most talented player and I appreciate that he cares enough to get frustrated with himself when he's not producing, I don't think he'd make a good captain. You can't rally the troops when you're too busy making Vanek-face and beating yourself up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.