A full season... 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Cody Hodgson, Tyler Ennis, Marcus Foligno... all 3 of these guys havent played a full season or at least most of one (75%+) since Tyler Ennis did in 2010-2011. Hodgson and Foligno both saw their development stifled or at least paused somewhat due to the lockout. Ennis was injured and then had the lockout.

My question is what should we expect from these guys if they actually get a real 82 game season... for 2 of them it will be their first Sabres training camp. All are young and all have interesting potential... thoughts on them this year?

Ennis 22g 33a

Hodgson 21g 39a

Foligno 12g 15a

That's my prediction for an injury free 82 games. I think Ennis and Hodgson are pretty close to legit 60 point players. And I'm just looking for Foligno to be a beast to play against and chip in when he can offensively.

I think Ennis is the greatest wildcard of the three. Sometimes he looks close to breaking out, other times it looks like WYSIWYG. I think he has potential to be a 30 goal scorer; he actually has some grit to his game. Will he get there? Toss a coin.

I don't expect Hodgson to be the kind of center the Sabres need. Way too weak on the back check and no grit at all. He's like Vanek-lite in that sense, or like a well-adjusted Roy with less defensive skill. If I had to make a guess, I'd say he will wind up being a disappointment.

Foligno is like a mirror: he reflects the quality of the line he is on. If his line mates are slumping, then he is slumping, if they're on fire, so is he. I think 12 goals and 20-some-odd assists is about right. I would like to see him spending time with Ott; Foligno is a perfect candidate for an Ott successor.

I think Ennis is the greatest wildcard of the three. Sometimes he looks close to breaking out, other times it looks like WYSIWYG. I think he has potential to be a 30 goal scorer; he actually has some grit to his game. Will he get there? Toss a coin.

I don't expect Hodgson to be the kind of center the Sabres need. Way too weak on the back check and no grit at all. He's like Vanek-lite in that sense, or like a well-adjusted Roy with less defensive skill. If I had to make a guess, I'd say he will wind up being a disappointment.

Foligno is like a mirror: he reflects the quality of the line he is on. If his line mates are slumping, then he is slumping, if they're on fire, so is he. I think 12 goals and 20-some-odd assists is about right. I would like to see him spending time with Ott; Foligno is a perfect candidate for an Ott successor.

Hodgson is not going to be Drury.

He is still going to be very good, in his own right.

This is one where I hope I am wrong but I don't see Ennis being part of a quality team. Pretty unusual that Darcy even admitted that drafting him was a mistake although it was actually more of admitting that not drafting Carlson was the mistake.

I expect Hodgson and Foligno to be big parts of the new core.

I think Ennis, if he has trained this summer (he should have right?) can be speedy and shifty like always but I think he has a better feel for the net. This could be his breakout year but it could be a disappointment. Hodgson should drop a 60pt season and I think his defensive question marks will start to be fixed.

Foligno is my wildcard if you will. I know many on here hated his dangling but it shows there is more to him than just running stuff over. He has good speed and good hands, I want to see this year if he can actually move from solid 3rd line guy maybe into a 2nd line role. I think that is his max potential.

Ennis 22g 33a

Hodgson 21g 39a

Foligno 12g 15a

Those numbers I think are in the ballpark. Foligno could get more assists depending on if this team doesn't suck for the first 40games.

This is one where I hope I am wrong but I don't see Ennis being part of a quality team. Pretty unusual that Darcy even admitted that drafting him was a mistake although it was actually more of admitting that not drafting Carlson was the mistake.

I expect Hodgson and Foligno to be big parts of the new core.

I think we've seen what we are going to get from Ennis. He's good for 20G 50P on a bad team. He competes and plays tough for a 150-160 lb kid. Just not sure what role he's going to have. I think Hodgson and Grigorenko are the top 2 centers, then the Girgensons and Larsson fight it out for line 3 center and Porter and McCormick fill out the 4th line pivot.

Can Ennis be an effective NHL winger? I'd have to see the role he's given.

On a plus/minus basis, Ennis has been the best center the past two seasons. He has also been the worst wing. If they move him to wing, I think he'll be in Columbus by Christmas. Hodgson and Ennis have been particularly bad together.

If Hodgson signs, I think he'll be good if he doesn't have Ennis or Stafford on his wing (he was also really bad playing with Stafford). For me that would leave Hodgson with Vanek and Tropp. Hodgson was good between the change of coaches and the trading deadline when they put Ennis on his wing.

Foligno was good with Flynn and Porter, not so good with Ennis and Stafford. I'm guessing he'll play like he did in the second half, which is OK.

Can Ennis be an effective NHL winger? I'd have to see the role he's given.

Arguably, he was well on his way to being a very effective NHL player when they moved him to center. He's clearly not cut out to be a center. If anything, moving him back to the wing could revive his development.

I really like the guy's game and upside. I'll say it for the umpteenth time, he just needs to thicken up a bit -- maybe he could ask Briere for Hugo Girard's phone #.

Arguably, he was well on his way to being a very effective NHL player when they moved him to center. He's clearly not cut out to be a center. If anything, moving him back to the wing could revive his development.

I really like the guy's game and upside. I'll say it for the umpteenth time, he just needs to thicken up a bit -- maybe he could ask Briere for Hugo Girard's phone #.

Interesting that you mention this because I was thinking the same thing about Flynn. I head Flynn in a SHH interview actually saying his weight was just about ideal at 180-185 because his game was predicated on speed. With Ennis obviously 157-163ish is still way to light but if he came to camp at say a solid 170 I think that would be good. Ennis' speed, skating, hands... make me wonder what he can really do and if we have already seen it.

Not saying it won't happen in the end, let's just say I'm following that story with interest, I think they are a long way apart.

Either that, or nobody is in a rush, like Henrique said in this article:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/01/henrique-says-no-real-deadline-for-new-contract-with-devils/

Hodgson, Ennis, Foligno aside, I'm really interested in seeing what happens in the Sabres' first full season not under Ruff since before the whole Y2K scare. Not meant as a bash, just excited to see something different and it's trumping everything else I'm looking forward to next year.

I think Ennis, if he has trained this summer (he should have right?) can be speedy and shifty like always but I think he has a better feel for the net. This could be his breakout year but it could be a disappointment. Hodgson should drop a 60pt season and I think his defensive question marks will start to be fixed.

Foligno is my wildcard if you will. I know many on here hated his dangling but it shows there is more to him than just running stuff over. He has good speed and good hands, I want to see this year if he can actually move from solid 3rd line guy maybe into a 2nd line role. I think that is his max potential.

Those numbers I think are in the ballpark. Foligno could get more assists depending on if this team doesn't suck for the first 40games.

I low balled Foligno because of my expectations for his game. I would like to see him making life miserable for every team that plays us every time he's on the ice. I don't think he's got the offensive ability to put up Lucic's scoring numbers, but I would like to see him put up Lucic's physical game. I'd be pretty pumped with him being a Cal Clutterbuck clone physically with about ten more points a year.

I like Ennis and think he is at his best as a second line winger. Can not see him playing against the shutdown lines. He is far too easy to hit nor can i see him finishing a couple of playoff series in a row when it matters or 65+ games a year. In the final analysis i guess his durability is moot. given the fact the Sabres will not see the second round of the playoffs for a decade or so. If he plays on the second line as a winger I can see him put up 20 in 60 games... more if there was more skill on this team but right now I think he is a 20 goal 50 pt guy. I do not see Cody resigning but as far as his goals and assists go this year, if he signs, the question will becomes,will he be playing with Vanek ? No Vanek, means no skill to play with, less space, and fewer scoring chances..who knows what he puts up in that scenario. His shot is not going to fool or beat a nhl goalie so he has to rely on dirty goals . I do see him becoming more of a shoot first center , a l-a Roy, as he presses to put up numbers without 26 .

I like Ennis and think he is at his best as a second line winger. Can not see him playing against the shutdown lines. He is far too easy to hit nor can i see him finishing a couple of playoff series in a row when it matters or 65+ games a year. In the final analysis i guess his durability is moot. given the fact the Sabres will not see the second round of the playoffs for a decade or so. If he plays on the second line as a winger I can see him put up 20 in 60 games... more if there was more skill on this team but right now I think he is a 20 goal 50 pt guy. I do not see Cody resigning but as far as his goals and assists go this year, if he signs, the question will becomes,will he be playing with Vanek ? No Vanek, means no skill to play with, less space, and fewer scoring chances..who knows what he puts up in that scenario. His shot is not going to fool or beat a nhl goalie so he has to rely on dirty goals . I do see him becoming more of a shoot first center , a l-a Roy, as he presses to put up numbers without 26 .

Hodgson received his qualifying offer from the Sabres so he can either sign it, renegotiate a new deal or decline it and remain an RFA. He has no option to sign with another team unless he gets an offer sheet. If he doesn't sign his QO or come to a contract agreement by December 1st he has to sit out the entire season. He'll resign or we'll get picks. He's not sitting out a season.

Hodgson received his qualifying offer from the Sabres so he can either sign it, renegotiate a new deal or decline it and remain an RFA. He has no option to sign with another team unless he gets an offer sheet. If he doesn't sign his QO or come to a contract agreement by December 1st he has to sit out the entire season. He'll resign or we'll get picks. He's not sitting out a season.

Technically, his QO expired last month. He needs a deal. But like you said it's with the Sabres or we get picks because someone OS'd him.

He probably ends up getting traded if he decides not to sign or renegotiate for his number , it is the smart way out for both parties if the sabres feel his number is too high. That was the point . It is either that or accept an offer . Either way he has an out if he wants it and it is not too painful. .Do you think there is a team out there that would offer? ...He and his father have already proved they are not shy. His value has increased given the year he had with Vanek and Pom , which he would not have had elsewhere. What happens to his numbers/value without Vanek/Pom. You think Grigs helps him on the wing. lol . If you are him do you stay with this ship if they do not want to hit your number or go collect your money elsewhere.?

He probably ends up getting traded if he decides not to sign or renegotiate , it is the smart way out for both parties. That was the point . It is either that or accept an offer . Either way he has an out if he wants it and it is not too painful. .Do you think there is a team out there that would offer? ...He and his father have already proved they are not shy. His value has increased given the year he had with Vanek and Pom , which he would not have had elsewhere. What happens to his numbers/value without Vanek/Pom. You think Grigs helps him on the wing. lol . If you are him do you stay with this ship or go collect your money.?

There is a zero % chance he's not a Sabre come October. Moving him would be an epic fail on a cataclysmic level. They might as well trade every player they have and just sign a bunch of AHLers to fill out the roster with that mentality.

Archived