The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

This perfectly depicts my current walk lol. Subtle enough that it's not obvious I am injured. But noticeable enough that you can definitely tell I've got something going on. Not gonna lie, the Kroger I shop at is.... interesting. People there probably think this about me.

:lol:

I'm so ready for the weather to break. Not having the time to play a lot of hockey this winter has really hurt my fitness levels. I've been spending plenty of time at the gym doing weight work, but I'm really lacking in the cardio, and I'm showing it in my waistline. I hate running on treadmills but I've had no choice but to work that back into my program. I'm not getting enough exercise on the weekends either, to be honest. Last winter I was playing hockey on Sunday nights but I cut that out this year because it was exhausting to only get a few hours of sleep before getting up to come to Buffalo for work, but I do miss that workout on the weekend. With only a few months to go until we move to Buffalo, I'm not sure getting into a routine is going to happen, but I suppose I need to figure something out for the next 8-9 weeks, even if it's just hitting the bike at our crappy gym for a half hour on Saturday mornings. 

I need to mess with my diet too. I've been trying to eat healthier, but the problem is that I eat too much now. I like my big healthy lunch sandwich, but admittedly it's probably too much food given how many calories I'm typically burning every day. I'm going to try to do what I do on the weekends and cut out breakfast. I don't really need that bowl of cereal in the morning, and if I can get to work and have a cup of coffee, then maybe some kind of low sugar protein bar around 10:00, that'll hold me over until lunch which could probably be eaten around 1:30-2:00. If I can put off eating lunch as long as possible then I wont feel the need to eat so much in the evening. 

Moving here is going to help me so much though. Having my own kitchen to work in 7 days a week means I can work on baking my own unprocessed sandwich bread and keep my fridge stocked with things like hardboiled eggs to snack on when I need some protein. I want to experiment with lean soups too. Ah to be able to cook food on my own schedule again. 

I'm so ready for the weather to break. Not having the time to play a lot of hockey this winter has really hurt my fitness levels. I've been spending plenty of time at the gym doing weight work, but I'm really lacking in the cardio, and I'm showing it in my waistline. I hate running on treadmills but I've had no choice but to work that back into my program. I'm not getting enough exercise on the weekends either, to be honest. Last winter I was playing hockey on Sunday nights but I cut that out this year because it was exhausting to only get a few hours of sleep before getting up to come to Buffalo for work, but I do miss that workout on the weekend. With only a few months to go until we move to Buffalo, I'm not sure getting into a routine is going to happen, but I suppose I need to figure something out for the next 8-9 weeks, even if it's just hitting the bike at our crappy gym for a half hour on Saturday mornings. 

I need to mess with my diet too. I've been trying to eat healthier, but the problem is that I eat too much now. I like my big healthy lunch sandwich, but admittedly it's probably too much food given how many calories I'm typically burning every day. I'm going to try to do what I do on the weekends and cut out breakfast. I don't really need that bowl of cereal in the morning, and if I can get to work and have a cup of coffee, then maybe some kind of low sugar protein bar around 10:00, that'll hold me over until lunch which could probably be eaten around 1:30-2:00. If I can put off eating lunch as long as possible then I wont feel the need to eat so much in the evening. 

Moving here is going to help me so much though. Having my own kitchen to work in 7 days a week means I can work on baking my own unprocessed sandwich bread and keep my fridge stocked with things like hardboiled eggs to snack on when I need some protein. I want to experiment with lean soups too. Ah to be able to cook food on my own schedule again.

Everybody's different, so it could work for you, but when I go well past normal lunchtime I find myself eating faaaaar more than I would've eating at the normal time. Not so much at lunch, but via increased snacks before dinner. (Apparently sonehow can't lose that 'starving vibe' until sfter the next real meal.)

Especially if you're used to a breakfast, I'd expect you'd be better off w/ a really light breakfast (fruit, jello, etc.) & a slightly smaller sandwich for lunch at the normal time.

Good luck w/ it.

I'm so ready for the weather to break.

This should make you jealous:  Last night's ride was in shorts.  41 miles on the fixed gear bike.

After the group ride part of the ride I grabbed some dinner.  This place does the most delicious bbq you can imagine.

9JheUIrw8LyObJEnX8n_VjuCdld5zaqmUTQQ_ydO

AbK56Vcgk4ymY89tq305VQRwwgVNLWq4hURBzTxw

I break a sweat, but I never seem to lose weight.  I wonder why that is?  :D

Everybody's different, so it could work for you, but when I go well past normal lunchtime I find myself eating faaaaar more than I would've eating at the normal time. Not so much at lunch, but via increased snacks before dinner. (Apparently sonehow can't lose that 'starving vibe' until sfter the next real meal.)

Especially if you're used to a breakfast, I'd expect you'd be better off w/ a really light breakfast (fruit, jello, etc.) & a slightly smaller sandwich for lunch at the normal time.

Good luck w/ it.

We'll see how everything shakes out. I just know that right now I'm eating more than I need. I'm hoping once I'm moved here I'll be able to walk to work most days, so that'll get me two miles of exercise I'm not getting right now. I could even use the walk to work in the morning as a warmup run, hit the gym (at the office building), and then I'm at work for the day. If I'm starting my day off with some good energy then I'll be burning calories pretty hard for half the morning. 

This should make you jealous:  Last night's ride was in shorts.  41 miles on the fixed gear bike.

After the group ride part of the ride I grabbed some dinner.  This place does the most delicious bbq you can imagine.

I break a sweat, but I never seem to lose weight.  I wonder why that is?  :D

Ugh, I miss cycling. I hope I can get back to it at some point. 

The good: I can now remove all of my jeans without unbuttoning or unzipping them. I'm officially back to under a 32" waist.

The bad: all of my suits need to go back to the tailor. I'm only down 18 pounds, but I'm not about to look like a little kid wearing my dad's clothes.

The random: driving today, the car in front of me beeped at two joggers, running against traffic. The male jogger then cursed at the car. To that I say: you, you self important douche! The roads are still covered in snow and are all at least 10 feet narrower. There isn't room for joggers. Roads are for cars first, dingleberry! Christ sakes, the travel ban for my city was just lifted yesterday.

I'm really not kidding. Most roads in my town right now can't accommodate 2 way traffic and the ones that can, both lanes are crawling because of the risk of head on collision.

Edited by ubkev

My latest thing- learning hand balancing (hand stands n such). Starting small of course, no way I can expect to rely on brute strength to keep my fat arse in the air. All new territory for me. A lot of my aerialist pals are former dancers/cheerleaders/yoga enthusiasts and have a definite leg up on this sort of thing. Cat is quite concerned and keeps sniffing my toes or trying to headbutt me while I'm inverting. 

It looks like our new studio will be opening in Buffalo almost exactly as I move there, so, good timing! 

I cut my calories way way down because 1- I can't really afford much food anymore and 2- I sit most the time right now. Hopefully will see a change in the ol' flesh prison in the coming weeks. 

The good: I can now remove all of my jeans without unbuttoning or unzipping them. I'm officially back to under a 32" waist.

The bad: all of my suits need to go back to the tailor. I'm only down 18 pounds, but I'm not about to look like a little kid wearing my dad's clothes.

The random: driving today, the car in front of me beeped at two joggers, running against traffic. The male jogger then cursed at the car. To that I say: ###### you, you self important douche! The roads are still covered in snow and are all at least 10 feet narrower. There isn't room for joggers. Roads are for cars first, dingleberry! Christ sakes, the travel ban for my city was just lifted yesterday.

I'm really not kidding. Most roads in my town right now can't accommodate 2 way traffic and the ones that can, both lanes are crawling because of the risk of head on collision.

That may have been me! j/k  I'll agree w/ you on the roads being narrow, but when conditions are better a jogger has a right to use them.  And most certainly need to be running against traffic.  Much safer.  If a driver honked their horn or purposely did not give room when there was plenty to share, I didn't hesitate to show my anger.  Wasn't worried about them stopping.  If they did I knew they wouldn't catch me.   :flirt:

That may have been me! j/k  I'll agree w/ you on the roads being narrow, but when conditions are better a jogger has a right to use them.  And most certainly need to be running against traffic.  Much safer.  If a driver honked their horn or purposely did not give room when there was plenty to share, I didn't hesitate to show my anger.  Wasn't worried about them stopping.  If they did I knew they wouldn't catch me.   :flirt:

Cycling against traffic is a cardinal sin.  Walking or jogging, I think going against traffic is the smart move.

That may have been me! j/k I'll agree w/ you on the roads being narrow, but when conditions are better a jogger has a right to use them. And most certainly need to be running against traffic. Much safer. If a driver honked their horn or purposely did not give room when there was plenty to share, I didn't hesitate to show my anger. Wasn't worried about them stopping. If they did I knew they wouldn't catch me. :flirt:

My beef was that there was no road for the joggers to be on. They were on the correct side of the snow drift/street, but there was no room for them. If it was a day without snowbanks and the road was clear from curb to curb, fine, go nuts, jog your hearts out. But there were parked cars snowed in on the left and 4 feet of snow hanging out into the street on the right. And I'm pretty sure that the joggers were Todd and Margo from Christmas Vacation...The worst!

I'm a jogger and a cyclist.

Roads are for cars.

If there is a separate lane for bikers, that's a whole different story. If there's more than enough room for everybody, great.

But runners and cyclists should never run/ride 2,3,4 wide taking up three quarters of the lane.

But, that's just my opinion. ;)

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I'm a jogger and a cyclist.

Roads are for cars.

If there is a separate lane for bikers, that's a whole different story. If there's more than enough room for everybody, great.

But runners and cyclists should never run/ride 2,3,4 wide taking up three quarters of the lane.

But, that's just my opinion. ;)

That's not just your opinion, it's the law. They are supposed to be single file.

I was going to start quoting laws, but we're from too many different states and there are variations from state to state.  You may want to look up bicycle traffic laws in your state; you might be surprised.  (For instance, for most states I've looked at, cyclists are allowed to ride two abreast in the lane.)

Edited by Doohickie

Laws or no laws, it's inconsiderate to hog a road made for automobiles, not to mention unsafe. 20-30 MPH side streets, that's fine. But 45-55 MPH main roads should be off limits unless it has its own separate bike lane. Can you share the road and hog it all up in some states? Sure. Does that mean you should? Probably not. I feel bad enough when I'm on a 40 MPH road, by myself, hugging the curb on a road specifically labeled as a bike sharing lane. 

You're right of course:  On roads that are essentially high speed highways, bicycle operation may be legal but it's not very smart.  I'm fortunate in that I can avoid most situations like that, but I also know how to ride in traffic if I need to. (Hint:  hugging the curb is far more dangerous than taking the lane.)

The site I linked, CyclingSavvy, promotes vehicular cycling.  Proponents of VC can get almost dogmatic about it, equating a bicycle with a car in terms of both are vehicles, period, and should drive the same on the roads.  I prefer to think of VC as one technique or tool in my toolbox.  There are times to use it, and times to ride on the sidewalk.  A certain amount of judgment is required because a bicycle in reality is somewhere between a car and a pedestrian and a cyclist should take advantage of that status to ride in the most safe yet efficient manner for the conditions.

Edited by Doohickie

I can tell from your pictures that you generally take the scenic routes. Point taken on hugging the curb. I've seen people biking down 50 MPH six lane divided main road down here, with no bike lane, thinking to myself they must have a death wish. All with perfectly good, wide sidewalks on either side. I know road bikers aren't keen on sidewalks, but no way in hell I ride on those roads no matter what I'm riding. I either use the sidewalk, or find an alternate route. 

You're right of course: One roads that are essentially high speed highways, bicycle operation may be legal but it's not very smart. I'm fortunate in that I can avoid most situations like that, but I also know how to ride in traffic if I need to. (Hint: hugging the curb is far more dangerous than taking the lane.)

The site I linked, CyclingSavvy, promotes vehicular cycling. Proponents of VC can get almost dogmatic about it, equating a bicycle with a car in terms of both are vehicles, period, and should drive the same on the roads. I prefer to think of VC as one technique or tool in my toolbox. There are times to use it, and times to ride on the sidewalk. A certain amount of judgment is required because a bicycle in reality is somewhere between a car and a pedestrian and a cyclist should take advantage of that status to ride in the most safe yet efficient manner for the conditions.

That site is incorrect. In Jersey you have to ride single file.

My beef was that there was no road for the joggers to be on. They were on the correct side of the snow drift/street, but there was no room for them. If it was a day without snowbanks and the road was clear from curb to curb, fine, go nuts, jog your hearts out. But there were parked cars snowed in on the left and 4 feet of snow hanging out into the street on the right. And I'm pretty sure that the joggers were Todd and Margo from Christmas Vacation...The worst!

Perhaps you should be complaining about those cars not being in driveways.

I can tell from your pictures that you generally take the scenic routes. Point taken on hugging the curb. I've seen people biking down 50 MPH six lane divided main road down here, with no bike lane, thinking to myself they must have a death wish. All with perfectly good, wide sidewalks on either side. I know road bikers aren't keen on sidewalks, but no way in hell I ride on those roads no matter what I'm riding. I either use the sidewalk, or find an alternate route. 

Bicycles on a sidewalk?!

Do people not walk a lot where you live?

Bicycles on a sidewalk?!

Do people not walk a lot where you live?

On roads like A1A, there are always people walking. But that road has a dedicated bike lane and the speed limit is usually 30 MPH.

Everything down here is either N-S or E-W and almost all residential is off the main drags. So all the major roads have wide sidewalks and no driveways. Riders and walkers rarely have issues. But, I have a mountain bike, I can see sidewalks being an issue with road bikers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.