The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

I started my journey at 240+. Saw 199.8 on the scale for the second day in a row. Only one day is a blip. Now it's official,

:beer:

(That's a milkshake) 

That's awesome.  And that's right in my wheelhouse... maybe I need to start watching the calories again.  (You inspire!)

I started my journey at 240+. Saw 199.8 on the scale for the second day in a row. Only one day is a blip. Now it's official,

(That's a milkshake)

Atta boy. I was at 199.6(heaviest I've ever been, and I wasn't going to let the scale say 200) on Thanksgiving. Today I'm at 179.0

Keep at it! Milkshakes are good!

I started my journey at 240+. Saw 199.8 on the scale for the second day in a row. Only one day is a blip. Now it's official,

(That's a milkshake) 

Great stuff.

I dropped below 200 for the first time since high school three years ago.

Then I got sick and ballooned up to 225-230.

Made it a goal to get back below 200 before I turn 50.

At last check, 208. Two months to go. Can't let myself get complacent.

That's awesome.  And that's right in my wheelhouse... maybe I need to start watching the calories again.  (You inspire!)

T he eye opening thing for me was that I didn't change my activity level one bit. All I did was portion control.

Oh, and switched from beer to seltzer and vodka, :lol:

Atta boy. I was at 199.6(heaviest I've ever been, and I wasn't going to let the scale say 200) on Thanksgiving. Today I'm at 179.0

Keep at it! Milkshakes are good!

I didn't lose all this weight to not eat like crap every once in a while.

Great stuff.

Awesome. I think it's been since high school for me, as well (although, there were a couple couple of years in college where most of my food money went to drugs and alcohol, but we didn't have a scale so who knows  :lol:.)

T he eye opening thing for me was that I didn't change my activity level one bit. All I did was portion control.

Oh, and switched from beer to seltzer and vodka, :lol:

I didn't lose all this weight to not eat like crap every once in a while.

Awesome. I think it's been since high school for me, as well (although, there were a couple couple of years in college where most of my food money went to drugs and alcohol, but we didn't have a scale so who knows :lol:.)

I did start working out, but the portion control thing got my wife to be back to her high school weight(f'ing sweet!)

Every now and then you just have to eat a full rack of ribs by yourself

All of my money in college went straight to booze. I don't ever remember eating anything after my meal plan was spent. Good thing my roommates would BBQ every week.

Great stuff.

Here's to the yo-yo dieters!  :beer:

In 2005, I went from 236 to 168 in 6 months.  Held it for awhile, eventually crept back up.  I've been back up in the 230s several times since then (including right now), and as low as 200.  I'd like to actually get down to about 190-195.  I felt great when I was there.

And yeah, when I lose weight it's primarily with portion control/calorie counting.

We've been over this before, but it still baffles me that my weight never fluctuates no matter what I change. It sucks for some of you that it's so easy to put on weight. On the other hand, I'm jealous that some can shed it so easily. 

Same. 

I barely eat and gain weight. I cut calories and nothing changes. I pick up exercise and nothing happens. I may change visually but my weight remains a stubborn 138-145 which is a lot for a chick my size. I've always wanted to get down to 120 and I just don't think it'll ever happen short of getting something amputated.

My dad and d4rk can both just cut dessert for a couple weeks and drop a pants size. It's maddening. 

I said High school was the last time I was under 200 prior to three years ago.

That's not true, it was more like my mid-20s.

In my early twenties I went away to work in the bush up north for a few months - long days, lots of physical labour.

Even though we ate like horses, I lost a ton of weight. So much that late in the season, the guys started talking about it, how it was a little scary how skinny I was getting.

No scales, no mirrors, just loose fitting work clothes, so it was hard for me to tell.

We wrapped things up and made it back to civilization (well, as close as it got up there - at least there were real showers.) We headed over to the home of one of the local guys to get cleaned up and head out on the town to blow off some steam.

The guys started talking about my weight again, crazy stuff like how I'd probably lost 30 or 40 pounds.

No way, I said. So they convinced me to weigh myself. I'm not sure what I was when I left for work, probably around 190.

I got on the scale and felt faint. 137 pounds. I hadn't been that low since I was 13. Something had to be wrong. Maybe I was sick.

I turned around, pale as a ghost. And the started busting a gut.

While I was in the shower, they'd reset the scale by 30 pounds. They'd been setting me up for a week.

One of the best practical jokes I've ever had played on me.

Edited by dudacek

Same. 

I barely eat and gain weight. I cut calories and nothing changes. I pick up exercise and nothing happens. I may change visually but my weight remains a stubborn 138-145 which is a lot for a chick my size. I've always wanted to get down to 120 and I just don't think it'll ever happen short of getting something amputated.

My dad and d4rk can both just cut dessert for a couple weeks and drop a pants size. It's maddening. 

Weird how that all works. It explains why if you ask 100 nutritionists/trainers how to lose weight, you'll get 100 different answers. Sometimes (not really) I almost wish I'd gain a few pounds just to see that something I did had some sort of impact. 

I've seen a lot of what you've posted and I'm sure you're in great shape. At some point it's so much better to know you've gotten to be in great shape because you've tried to lose a few pounds. Over the years I've done more and more at the gym to try and find a way to lose some weight, it probably never would have gotten to this point of working out if I had lost a few pounds right off the bat. 

I said High school was the last time I was under 200 prior to three years ago.

That's not true, it was more like my mid-20s.

In my early twenties I went away to work in the bush up north for a few months - long days, lots of physical labour.

Even though we ate like horses, I lost a ton of weight. So much that late in the season, the guys started talking about it, how it was a little scary how skinny I was getting.

No scales, no mirrors, just loose fitting work clothes, so it was hard for me to tell.

We wrapped things up and made it back to civilization (well, as close as it got up there - at least there were real showers.) We headed over to the home of one of the local guys to get cleaned up and head out on the town to blow off some steam.

The guys started talking about my weight again, crazy stuff like how I'd probably lost 30 or 40 pounds.

No way, I said. So they convinced me to weigh myself. I'm not sure what I was when I left for work, probably around 190.

I got on the scale and felt faint. 137 pounds. I hadn't been that low since I was 13. Something had to be wrong. Maybe I was sick.

I turned around, pale as a ghost. And the ###### started busting a gut.

While I was in the shower, they'd reset the scale by 30 pounds. They'd been setting me up for a week.

One of the best practical jokes I've ever had played on me.

happy-smiley20.gif

I haven't been around much lately but have had some recent success and thought I'd share in case there's anyone else who might find this useful.  My weight has been between 245 - 255 for most of the past 10 years or so.  My ideal weight is probably around 180 (high school) and I was 220 when I graduated college.  Alcohol probably got me to 220, and sugar (which I overused when I stopped drinking) probably got me the rest of the way to 250+.  For about 5 years, I've been feeling old.  Aching joints, muscles, poor sleep, etc... I'm in my late thirties, too young to feel this old.  Carrying around and chasing 2 young kids kept me active, sore, and exhausted.

About a year ago, I bought a book called "The Easy Way to Lose Weight" by Allen Carr.  I'm not one to believe in easy solutions to difficult problems, but a few friends had used one of his stop smoking books (he uses suggestion / hypnosis to treat lots of different lifestyle issues) and swore by them.  I figured for 10 bucks it's worth a shot.  The book then sat on my shelf gathering dust for a long time (because c'mon easy?  hypnosis?) until I finally dug it out in February.  I read the whole book in a weekend (Friday - Sunday) mostly during kids naps and before bed myself.  I listened to the audio portion (hypnosis) on Sunday evening before bed.  The book and the audio focus on eating mostly fruits and vegetables, and explains why things like meat and sugar aren't good for you - it's not rocket science.  I think a lot of people get hung up on the meat part, it wasn't that hard for me because I've always been on the fence about eating meat for ethical reasons.  In any case, there's nothing in the book to prohibit meat (or anything else for that matter), he just explains what happens when we eat it and why other foods are better options.  (I do still eat meat 1-2 times per week.)

Ok, so getting on to the important part - the success I was telling you about earlier.  I've gone from ~255 at the beginning of February to 210 when I weighed myself this morning.  The first 30 lbs were lost with no added activity / exercise, but in the last 2-3 weeks I began jogging, training for a race I am planning to run next month with a group from work.  Running is not something I was ever really interested in, but it also didn't even seem like an option.  When this opportunity popped up I thought, hell, why not?  My rate of losing has definitely slowed (which is probably a good thing) but my attitude / diet hasn't changed, and I'm optimistic (for the first time in a very long time) about my long term health.  If anyone is struggling with their weight, has an open mind and wants to change how they eat (and feel) then this book is definitely worth a try for ~10$.

Hey, quick question. Am I the only person who grew after high school? I mean grew vertically, not horizontally :p. If I were to get back to my high school weight, I'd be admitted to the hospital for malnutrition, lol. I graduated at 5'4"ish (125 lbs ish) and grew to my present 5'9" over the next 3 years.

Edited by ubkev

I haven't been around much lately but have had some recent success and thought I'd share in case there's anyone else who might find this useful.  My weight has been between 245 - 255 for most of the past 10 years or so.  My ideal weight is probably around 180 (high school) and I was 220 when I graduated college.  Alcohol probably got me to 220, and sugar (which I overused when I stopped drinking) probably got me the rest of the way to 250+.  For about 5 years, I've been feeling old.  Aching joints, muscles, poor sleep, etc... I'm in my late thirties, too young to feel this old.  Carrying around and chasing 2 young kids kept me active, sore, and exhausted.

About a year ago, I bought a book called "The Easy Way to Lose Weight" by Allen Carr.  I'm not one to believe in easy solutions to difficult problems, but a few friends had used one of his stop smoking books (he uses suggestion / hypnosis to treat lots of different lifestyle issues) and swore by them.  I figured for 10 bucks it's worth a shot.  The book then sat on my shelf gathering dust for a long time (because c'mon easy?  hypnosis?) until I finally dug it out in February.  I read the whole book in a weekend (Friday - Sunday) mostly during kids naps and before bed myself.  I listened to the audio portion (hypnosis) on Sunday evening before bed.  The book and the audio focus on eating mostly fruits and vegetables, and explains why things like meat and sugar aren't good for you - it's not rocket science.  I think a lot of people get hung up on the meat part, it wasn't that hard for me because I've always been on the fence about eating meat for ethical reasons.  In any case, there's nothing in the book to prohibit meat (or anything else for that matter), he just explains what happens when we eat it and why other foods are better options.  (I do still eat meat 1-2 times per week.)

Ok, so getting on to the important part - the success I was telling you about earlier.  I've gone from ~255 at the beginning of February to 210 when I weighed myself this morning.  The first 30 lbs were lost with no added activity / exercise, but in the last 2-3 weeks I began jogging, training for a race I am planning to run next month with a group from work.  Running is not something I was ever really interested in, but it also didn't even seem like an option.  When this opportunity popped up I thought, hell, why not?  My rate of losing has definitely slowed (which is probably a good thing) but my attitude / diet hasn't changed, and I'm optimistic (for the first time in a very long time) about my long term health.  If anyone is struggling with their weight, has an open mind and wants to change how they eat (and feel) then this book is definitely worth a try for ~10$.

:thumbsup:

45 lbs in that amount of time is pretty incredible.

Also, I have no ethicle problems eating meat. If God didn't want us to eat meat, he wouldn't have given us a gall bladder.

Holy crap, JJ... add that to the list of reasons I'll never, ever live in Florida!!  Yikes.

But they're so cute!  :P

Seriously, they're very docile animals and rarely attack people. That's a 15 mile trail and wide open to everybody with no barriers to the Everglades. As far as I know there's never been any problems. 

But, I completely understand why somebody wouldn't take my word for it, haha. 

But they're so cute!  :P

Seriously, they're very docile animals and rarely attack people. That's a 15 mile trail and wide open to everybody with no barriers to the Everglades. As far as I know there's never been any problems. 

But, I completely understand why somebody wouldn't take my word for it, haha. 

lol I'm glad it's safe for you and others to pass, but my goodness... I'd freak out if I saw one (let alone many) so close by!  The signs around here warning of coyotes are enough to make me pedal a little faster when there's no one else around... I can't imagine actually seeing one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.