The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

This was me riding home tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTFPB4OUqrM

Only it was more of a steady drizzle than a thunderstorm. And I was wearing cargo pants, a tee shirt and a flannel shirt instead of a high tech rain suit. And I was carrying a Kyocera phone in my pocket, not an iPhone on my handlebars.

Otherwise, it was exactly like this.

15000741_1107213562660866_64349573268296

So today was a ride I look forward to each year (although I can't always make it).  The Eighth Annual Country Path Ramble was today.  A friend who lives in a rural area outside Denton, Texas, hosts a ride out of his house.  Today's ride was 50 miles mostly on unpaved roads.

This is Chris, the host of the ride.

14991220_1114974781884744_48667260634210

Climbing one of the grades.

15042120_1114974935218062_26392959528655

This is about as autumny as the trees get around here.

15025430_1114975098551379_30993164941907

15025293_1114975125218043_87812066806391

This store has been here since 1876 in the same building.

15000134_1114975331884689_30633778737448

I'd just climbed that hill and several others.

15025358_1114975671884655_50266068174887

Several of the roads had just been graded which means lots of hard going due to lots of loose stones (the cars pack them down eventually). It was 50 miles, but the effort felt like twice that.

• 4 weeks later...

Went 6 days of 1-3 hours at the aerial studio last week. My first performance is this coming Sunday, and we're all in crunch mode. 

My god, the bruises... I have a respite yesterday and today, which is good because my limbs are just weak and quivery. But I gotta say, it's been worth it. Both of my routines are awesome, and I'm really looking forward to the show. I started to find my style- it's not the gorgeous graceful contortionist pretty stuff most people do- I'm incapable of that. I've got a lot more strength and power, and use it to either throw people around as a base or do more traditionally male moves. Go figure, my life story- tried to be a dancer for years, ended up being better at martial arts. Tried figure skating, ended up in hockey. Just could never fit the pretty/graceful mould. 

There's a very good chance this place will open a studio in Buffalo next year, which is great- I can continue on with it when I move! 

Go figure, my life story- tried to be a dancer for years, ended up being better at martial arts. Tried figure skating, ended up in hockey. Just could never fit the pretty/graceful mould.

Trust me, you've won over the admiration of many of us here on the forum.  The "manly" activities you're talking about are way beyond the grasp of many of the men here, including me.  To us, your physical endeavors are nothing short of amazing.

Screw it. Posting it. Being a vain show-off.

But I'm proud of this. I actually have muscle def in my back. Maybe nowhere else on my body, but hell, this is pretty cool and a first for me. 

qlZs6Uq.jpg

I'll annoy you all with pics of my performance after the fact, too, just a warning. 

Now I really want to know if all this upper body strength will translate into a better slapshot..... 

But I'm proud of this. I actually have muscle def in my back. Maybe nowhere else on my body, but hell, this is pretty cool and a first for me.

qlZs6Uq.jpg

I'll annoy you all with pics of my performance after the fact, too, just a warning.

Now I really want to know if all this upper body strength will translate into a better slapshot.....

You are in so much better shape than me :lol:

Went 6 days of 1-3 hours at the aerial studio last week. My first performance is this coming Sunday, and we're all in crunch mode. 

My god, the bruises... I have a respite yesterday and today, which is good because my limbs are just weak and quivery. But I gotta say, it's been worth it. Both of my routines are awesome, and I'm really looking forward to the show. I started to find my style- it's not the gorgeous graceful contortionist pretty stuff most people do- I'm incapable of that. I've got a lot more strength and power, and use it to either throw people around as a base or do more traditionally male moves. Go figure, my life story- tried to be a dancer for years, ended up being better at martial arts. Tried figure skating, ended up in hockey. Just could never fit the pretty/graceful mould. 

There's a very good chance this place will open a studio in Buffalo next year, which is great- I can continue on with it when I move! 

Hey, it worked for Jeff Skinner. 

Or was he a ballerina?

qlZs6Uq.jpg

Sure, rub it in. :p

Though there are no muscles in mine (not even when at the sort of ages when there should've been :doh:), at least I still managed to pull off a sick midback level tip in of a puck that would easily have missed the net by a good 1-1/2 feet tonight. So, I've got that going for me, which is nice. ;)

Sure, rub it in. :p

Though there are no muscles in mine (not even when at the sort of ages when there should've been :doh:), at least I still managed to pull off a sick midback level tip in of a puck that would easily have missed the net by a good 1-1/2 feet tonight. So, I've got that going for me, which is nice. ;)

I tried a tip last night. 'Twas more like a double agent shot block. Edited by qwksndmonster

Snowshoeing is surprisingly sweaty business (but lots of fun)!

White with envy. I came into possession of a pair of vintage Lund snowshoes made of wood and leather. They seem heavy and clunky compared to modern snowshoes, but obviously they worked just fine back in the day.

Nice pics. Pine bows covered with snow, there's not a prettier sight.

White with envy. I came into possession of a pair of vintage Lund snowshoes made of wood and leather. They seem heavy and clunky compared to modern snowshoes, but obviously they worked just fine back in the day.

Nice pics. Pine bows covered with snow, there's not a prettier sight.

It was gorgeous; wish the skies had cleared for a bit so we could see more, but my friend put it best when she described it as "like walking through a Christmas card".  Probably 6-8" of fresh snow and continued to fall throughout the day.  When I tried snowshoeing for the first time last winter, I was mildly surprised to see that they looked nothing like tennis rackets.   :lol:

It was gorgeous; wish the skies had cleared for a bit so we could see more, but my friend put it best when she described it as "like walking through a Christmas card".  Probably 6-8" of fresh snow and continued to fall throughout the day.  When I tried snowshoeing for the first time last winter, I was mildly surprised to see that they looked nothing like tennis rackets.   :lol:

You mean like these bad boys?

post-136-0-96970600-1481593419_thumb.jpg

Snowshoeing is surprisingly sweaty business (but lots of fun)!

Oh that's so wonderful! I hope d4rk gets our snowshoes back from his cousin soon and we get a chance to use them this year. But nowhere around here is as gorgeous as where you are!!! 

Oh that's so wonderful! I hope d4rk gets our snowshoes back from his cousin soon and we get a chance to use them this year. But nowhere around here is as gorgeous as where you are!!!

Mmm I gotta get those back. I want them to have a chance to use them first though. Maybe.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.