The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Where do you play?  I'm in Hudson County and have been thinking about getting back into it now that both kids are (usually) sleeping through the night.

In Hackensack at the Icehouse. It's kind of a dump, but it's really close for me.

Same. 

I barely eat and gain weight. I cut calories and nothing changes. I pick up exercise and nothing happens. I may change visually but my weight remains a stubborn 138-145 which is a lot for a chick my size. I've always wanted to get down to 120 and I just don't think it'll ever happen short of getting something amputated.

My dad and d4rk can both just cut dessert for a couple weeks and drop a pants size. It's maddening. 

No it isn't.  Check ideal BMI charts.

I blame binge watching the new Trailer Park Boys. It gave me secret gut powers.

I'm still on ep 1.

Edited by Eleven

Same.

I barely eat and gain weight. I cut calories and nothing changes. I pick up exercise and nothing happens. I may change visually but my weight remains a stubborn 138-145 which is a lot for a chick my size. I've always wanted to get down to 120 and I just don't think it'll ever happen short of getting something amputated.

My dad and d4rk can both just cut dessert for a couple weeks and drop a pants size. It's maddening.

Muscle is more dense than fat. A pound is a pound. But a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. Your weight may not change, but your appearance obviously does. That's a good thing. Keep up the exercise. You're doing great. :thumbsup:

Edited by GoPre

BMI has got to be one of the most ridiculous health standards ever created. (No offense to those referring to it ;))

I'm not a fan of it, myself. (also, no offense) I'm not a big fan of scales either. I care more about how I feel and how I look than what bmi or a scale says.

I'm not a fan of it, myself. (also, no offense) I'm not a big fan of scales either. I care more about how I feel and how I look than what bmi or a scale says.

Not sure about you, but if I lost enough weight to be on the HIGH end of normal, people would think I'm sick.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

My phone's health app says my ideal weight is 148 lbs.

I'm a 5'9" man. Nope

Yup, I'm the same height. It would take starvation, and months without any physical activity to lose muscle mass for me to get that low. No way, no how. 

I have a skinny build.  When the numbers say I'm fat, I'm fat.

Exactly. BMI is way too broad to be taken seriously. It works for you, but can be completely off for somebody else . 

So I could use some advice if anyone's got it. 

I'm going to be performing again in June, a doubles trapeze routine. When you think of trapeze, you think of a big dude throwing a little woman around, yeah? Well, I'm the big dude in this scenario. And hoisting someone around for 4 minutes straight is reallllly exhausting.

I'm pretty strong, but I'd like to get a little stronger in the lifting sense. I don't have access to a full gym, just one that has some machines and dumbbells. Are there any good exercises for beefing up pecs/lifting? Gotta get my core fired up too to protect my back. Maybe I should get more cardio in too? I dunno. 

Men have a big advantage in this world, but I figure you guys still work those areas. I guess I need to simulate lifting and holding a person (about 115 lbs). I've always worked "girl" areas, like thighs, butt, abs. Never thought much about arms until now. 

So I could use some advice if anyone's got it. 

I'm going to be performing again in June, a doubles trapeze routine. When you think of trapeze, you think of a big dude throwing a little woman around, yeah? Well, I'm the big dude in this scenario. And hoisting someone around for 4 minutes straight is reallllly exhausting.

I'm pretty strong, but I'd like to get a little stronger in the lifting sense. I don't have access to a full gym, just one that has some machines and dumbbells. Are there any good exercises for beefing up pecs/lifting? Gotta get my core fired up too to protect my back. Maybe I should get more cardio in too? I dunno. 

Men have a big advantage in this world, but I figure you guys still work those areas. I guess I need to simulate lifting and holding a person (about 115 lbs). I've always worked "girl" areas, like thighs, butt, abs. Never thought much about arms until now.

I am always amazed how many muscles just simple push-ups work (pecs, lats, shoulders, stomach,...)

To be honest, a couple of months really isn't much time. You could try some of the things on this that seem to target pulling motions and full body. I would be careful to avoid trying to do too much. You don't want to go too hard and hurt yourself.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f4/27/39/f42739f3db51292d6c7105965389619c.jpg

I am always amazed how many muscles just simple push-ups work (pecs, lats, shoulders, stomach,...)

I've seen big improvement lately just by spending more time with dumbbell presses and push-ups. A good warmup on the bike to start has been key. Get warm first.

Push-ups are great. I do lots of those (I don't even have to cheat anymore!!!) and hold planks for long periods of time. Planks are like the #1 aerial ground exercise, next to chinups/L-sits. I do dips a lot too- the bathtub is the perfect height haha

Body weight exercises are awesome. I just wondered if I could go beyond those and not kill myself. 

Unless you're ultimate goal is to be a huge powerlifter, dumbbells are actually the best. Machines only serve one motion and don't help any of the supporting muscles. Use a bench and you can end up with at least 20 different exercises for upper body. I've been doing them for years but I don't know their technical names, lol. Sorry. Do a search for upper body dumbbell exercises to see diagrams. Don't get greedy right off the bat, work on higher rep, lower weight sets. 

Unless you're ultimate goal is to be a huge powerlifter, dumbbells are actually the best. Machines only serve one motion and don't help any of the supporting muscles. Use a bench and you can end up with at least 20 different exercises for upper body. I've been doing them for years but I don't know their technical names, lol. Sorry. Do a search for upper body dumbbell exercises to see diagrams. Don't get greedy right off the bat, work on higher rep, lower weight sets. 

I'd like to stay as lean/feminine as I can, despite my body's natural predisposition to be a tank. 

There is a bench I can use. I'll look into it. I'm going to be that person laying on their stomach flapping dumbbells around haha 

Push-ups are great. I do lots of those (I don't even have to cheat anymore!!!) and hold planks for long periods of time. Planks are like the #1 aerial ground exercise, next to chinups/L-sits. I do dips a lot too- the bathtub is the perfect height haha

Body weight exercises are awesome. I just wondered if I could go beyond those and not kill myself.

There's really no need. I mean, body weight exercises don't really get old. Until you're crushing out huge sets of push-ups and pull ups on the ol Iron Gym, there's really no reason not to just be going for broke on those.

Like JJ said, dumbbells are great because they don't isolate. They force you to use all your muscles to control the dumbbells through the motion.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a weeklong family vacation last night.  We were pretty active playing with the kids, but I did take a few days off from running.  Also, we were eating out most nights (including Rodizio one night), and ice cream every other night.  Still, weighed in under 200 lbs last night, which was my goal when I first started changing my habits 2 1/2 months ago.  If I'm remembering right the last time I've been under 200 was the summer of 2000, when I was working 70 hours a week (including 40 behind a push mower) and trying to save up enough to make sure I could get through 2 final semesters of college.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.