The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

What I would give to do something like that right now............. nice pics!

Thanks! Wish I'd taken more, but my fingers were freezing once we stopped at the lake and the wind kicked up.

You mean like these bad boys?

DSC05753_1.JPG

Haha yes!!

Oh that's so wonderful! I hope d4rk gets our snowshoes back from his cousin soon and we get a chance to use them this year. But nowhere around here is as gorgeous as where you are!!!

I'm sure there's somewhere within an easy drive (even if it's over the border) that would be pretty! :)

White with envy. I came into possession of a pair of vintage Lund snowshoes made of wood and leather. They seem heavy and clunky compared to modern snowshoes, but obviously they worked just fine back in the day.

Nice pics. Pine bows covered with snow, there's not a prettier sight.

Forgot to post this one; lots of the fluffy stuff!

post-1683-0-67646400-1481610137_thumb.jpg

Edited by biodork

I have video of my routines! Well, only the hoop duo one at the moment. 

I am the non asian/taller one in the halter! Malinda has the straps on her back.

We definitely weren't spinning too much- most of our moves slow the hoop down even if you get it flying because the weight is so far from the center of the hoop. So, that's something to work on. But overall, I'm very proud. We ended on time and didn't mess anything major up! 

Edited by Josie914

I am the non asian/taller one in the halter! Malinda has the straps on her back.

We definitely weren't spinning too much- most of our moves slow the hoop down even if you get it flying because the weight is so far from the center of the hoop. So, that's something to work on. But overall, I'm very proud. We ended on time and didn't mess anything major up! 

Awesome! That's a really long time to be dangling up there. I can see why you look so athletic after practicing that.

Darn Josie wow, Dark you are a lucky man! PS my defenceman Derek scored a goal off my skate blade last nite, but we lost 2-5, plated with 9 guys against their 15 and lost it late in the 2nd hitting that wall.

Edited by North Buffalo

Wow, those moves where you're holding her up and she's dangling by her feet are nuts!  Very, very cool.  Next stop, Cirque du Soleil!  ;)

Here's to you, Josie.  You really know how to live the High Life.

22757246fa1c76b7cc69293f3945af1f.jpg

hahah thanks guys and gals! I'll post the trapeze one tomorrow after I steal work's bandwidth one last time. 

Got confirmation tonight- they signed the lease and money exchanged hands- there will be an Aerial Arts of Buffalo soon! Really happy I won't have to quit when I move. Someday down the road I may even join troupe and do gigs in the area! 

hahah thanks guys and gals! I'll post the trapeze one tomorrow after I steal work's bandwidth one last time.

Got confirmation tonight- they signed the lease and money exchanged hands- there will be an Aerial Arts of Buffalo soon! Really happy I won't have to quit when I move. Someday down the road I may even join troupe and do gigs in the area!

:thumbsup:

Cool sh!t is just cool. That was cool.

Here's the trapeze routine! It's.. uh, zombie themed. 

Ash and I are the pair on the far right. On the left is my instructor with another level 3 girl, and the middle pairing is both level 2 (even though the thinner girl is a top level silks girl). What I like about this routine is that it really shows how any body type can do this stuff. We're not all little tiny gymnast chicks. 

We had to go first in the first show, and it was actually really tough to cold start. I'm definitely going too fast most the way through. Blame nerves! Of course I messed up little tiny things that had NEVER happened before, as well (almost falling out of the split in the beginning).

You can't see all the cool floor stuff, from acro to splits and dive rolls. Oh well! Watch it a couple times, watch a different pair each time. Kinda hard to take it all in at once :/ I wouldn't do another giant 6 person routine again... just too hard to focus for the audience. 

Edited by Josie914

I can't get over the core / abdominal strength you must have to do stuff like that... seriously impressive.

Yeah, I just watched it.   I agree with bio.

What I like about this routine is that it really shows how any body type can do this stuff. We're not all little tiny gymnast chicks.

The heavier girl in the middle is impressive. As a cyclist who gains and loses weight, I definitely understand the difference between riding with extra pounds versus not.  That girl stood out to me as particularly impressive.  I can see where this activity can seriously develop your strength.

Please don't take my description of the "heavier girl" in a negative light.  I'm sure there's more PC ways to put it but I've been fighting a cold for two weeks now and I'm doped up with meds at the moment.

Yeah, I just watched it.   I agree with bio.

The heavier girl in the middle is impressive. As a cyclist who gains and loses weight, I definitely understand the difference between riding with extra pounds versus not.  That girl stood out to me as particularly impressive.  I can see where this activity can seriously develop your strength.

Please don't take my description of the "heavier girl" in a negative light.  I'm sure there's more PC ways to put it but I've been fighting a cold for two weeks now and I'm doped up with meds at the moment.

haha no problem. Kaylin is a hell of a base. She can even fly me, and I'm definitely not a tiny, normal sized flyer. She had a lot of reservations by the time we got to performing- she has some trouble getting into the trapeze, which is totally normal. It's not easy. But one thing Kaylin has in spades is back flexibility. 

Illy, our instructor (bigger of the pair on the left) isn't tiny either. These ladies are tough and have helped me realize there are more styles out there than tiny graceful and flexible. 

There's a pretty broad spectrum of bodies at our school, and it makes me so happy. No pressure to all get that "aerialist bod" that some places can be real jerks about. 

No pressure to all get that "aerialist bod" that some places can be real jerks about. 

That's awesome.

I realize that some organizations are competitive.  I really like the ones that are more inclusive, because I think they do the greater good to reach out to more people and improve the health of the community overall and not cater to only elite athletes.  (I say that from my cycling experience as well.)

If you guys have been in the random thread, you know my current predicament. I broke my right ankle when I fell on some ice. When all is said and done, I'm "walking" away with some added hardware (plate, screw, sutures) after my surgery on Tuesday. 

I'm currently way heavier than I'd like to be. My plan was to hit it hard at the new year (isn't that everyone's plan?) so that I'd be in better shape for my wedding in June. 6-8 weeks in a boot puts quite a kink in that plan though. I'm thinking it will be tough to stay in shape, let alone lose weight.

So I turn to you guys- any advice on exercise options? I know some of you have experienced similar injuries before. How did you stay in shape? Just core and upper body? Crutching around? :) Did you alter your diet knowing you'd be less active?

If you guys have been in the random thread, you know my current predicament. I broke my right ankle when I fell on some ice. When all is said and done, I'm "walking" away with some added hardware (plate, screw, sutures) after my surgery on Tuesday. 

I'm currently way heavier than I'd like to be. My plan was to hit it hard at the new year (isn't that everyone's plan?) so that I'd be in better shape for my wedding in June. 6-8 weeks in a boot puts quite a kink in that plan though. I'm thinking it will be tough to stay in shape, let alone lose weight.

So I turn to you guys- any advice on exercise options? I know some of you have experienced similar injuries before. How did you stay in shape? Just core and upper body? Crutching around? :) Did you alter your diet knowing you'd be less active?

I'd concentrate more on diet than exercise.  Get MyFitnessPal on your phone and log every stinkin' thing you eat, and stick to the calorie budget it gives you.  Trust me, it works.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while.

I had an awful cold that lingered over three weeks which coincided with some really lousy weather.  I finally got back on the bike yesterday, did 36 miles on my old 3 speed, including the obligatory coffee stop.

SAHo_kP3vPXJO1mvjGjPIrO8G3NQ6p4tJX-pL3x_

vSIHEz8wUKwCbQkQ5CZ4QocPx1J6yrz9_dqOe9h7

Today I got more ambitious.  I took my 1983 Raleigh Super Course out for a 50 miler.

Coffee stop:

7YpQ7h1a_eRh7Ivd5z-M0GJgnJajmDh5UPBQ9Lf4

And then a stop for something colder, since the temps got up into the 80s.

EJgygqMlurDayFNI00lvB2rd91DTbB1feqXJrx-V

If I manage a big finish to the year, I can get up to an average of 100 miles per week for the whole year.  To get there I still need over a hundred miles between now and Saturday.

Edited by Doohickie

If I manage a big finish to the year, I can get up to an average of 100 miles per week for the whole year.  To get there I still need over a hundred miles between now and Saturday.

Well I managed the big finish.  Friday night I did 46 miles, today I did 60, which gave me 5201 miles for the year.  That's over 100 miles in less than 24 hours.  w00t.

15741155_1165076560207899_71721694449105

Today's ride was weird because the morning started out with temps in the 40s and 15 mph winds with gusts to the mid-20s.  By the time I finished, the winds had changed direction (yay!  tailwind!) and dropped to less than 10 mph, and the temp had gone up to 73 degrees.  The hardest part of the end of the ride was finding ways to carry all the layers I needed to shed.

Some pics from today's ride:

jZsbrpRz_lPvSY_GbClFUVCJQDaCqsLxlcH5TqsI

e68s94udTVPLMVIp7uZucNPWxk4f7Ge2aLF5v1Vf

And of course.... the coffee stop.

15823016_1165013520214203_37410216448880

Edited by Doohickie

Doohickie, that's both amazing and insane! That old fine line between pain and pleasure.

I might set a similar goal for the year. Miles moved? (Walking, running, hiking, skating.) 2,500? Skating will be tough to measure, but I think 10 laps around is one mile. How do you measure if you're practicing or playing hockey though? And the walking would be walking for exercise, not routine daily walking.

You are an inspiration.

Edited by PASabreFan

Well I managed the big finish.  Friday night I did 46 miles, today I did 60, which gave me 5201 miles for the year.  That's over 100 miles in less than 24 hours.  w00t.

15741155_1165076560207899_71721694449105

Today's ride was weird because the morning started out with temps in the 40s and 15 mph winds with gusts to the mid-20s.  By the time I finished, the winds had changed direction (yay!  tailwind!) and dropped to less than 10 mph, and the temp had gone up to 73 degrees.  The hardest part of the end of the ride was finding ways to carry all the layers I needed to shed.

Some pics from today's ride:

jZsbrpRz_lPvSY_GbClFUVCJQDaCqsLxlcH5TqsI

e68s94udTVPLMVIp7uZucNPWxk4f7Ge2aLF5v1Vf

And of course.... the coffee stop.

15823016_1165013520214203_37410216448880

Pretty awesome!

Doohickie, that's both amazing and insane! That old fine line between pain and pleasure.

I might set a similar goal for the year. Miles moved? (Walking, running, hiking, skating.) 2,500? Skating will be tough to measure, but I think 10 laps around is one mile. How do you measure if you're practicing or playing hockey though? And the walking would be walking for exercise, not routine daily walking.

You are an inspiration.

My measure is weight, just trying to keep those pounds down, hard this time of year

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.