The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

A decent week on the bike; altogether I did 133 miles.  On Tuesday I rode with a gravel ride group for the first time.  I misjudged the ride; there are hard packed gravel trails around here and I thought that's what they meant.  Yeah, they rode on those but they also found stone trails I didn't even know existed and even went on some mountain bike trails (which was a first for me).  St00pid me, I rode my fixed gear bike with 28 mm tires.  Still, it was fun and I ended up with 45 miles.

Nc-kRwXRlZW1UtM1e_njo35p1Hd2DnPuMDFZzOkC

Wednesday I did my normal Night Ride; we rode the trails out to the new Airfield Falls trailhead for 40 miles.  I'm the tall guy lurking in the darkness in the back, left of viewer's center.

18157823_10155316885013958_5945468288941

Then Friday was Critical Mass for 34 miles.  On the way home I hit an armadillo and went down  :o, but luckily no serious injuries. This pic shows me giving the pre-ride briefing.

18157794_1658664794173517_24159486073238

....and then finally this morning I did an abbreviated 14 mile breakfast ride.  The ride was officially canceled due to thunderstorms that never developed, it didn't even rain.  (There were tornadoes 90 miles to the east.)

Edited by Doohickie

I've been slacking on this thread, but I spent the weekend enjoying the spring snowstorm out here.  :)  21 days on the mountain for the season.  Now it's time to switch over to hiking and biking!

post-1683-0-12368100-1493674321_thumb.jpg

Oh my god bio. I need to ski with you someday.

Sounds like you won't be relocating to CO, but United (if you dare) has a direct flight to Denver from OKC!  ;)

Two more, just because it's gorgeous out here:

post-1683-0-50043900-1493675137_thumb.jpeg

post-1683-0-68829500-1493675144_thumb.jpeg

Very nice, bio.

I'm happy that you are happy out there.

Who is that with you in the second photo?

Thanks!  And actually I'm not in either of those two photos (I was the photographer)... those were just friends who joined for the day.  :)

I always enjoy your pics Bio, thanks!

A decent week on the bike; altogether I did 133 miles.  On Tuesday I rode with a gravel ride group for the first time.  I misjudged the ride; there are hard packed gravel trails around here and I thought that's what they meant.  Yeah, they rode on those but they also found stone trails I didn't even know existed and even went on some mountain bike trails (which was a first for me).  St00pid me, I rode my fixed gear bike with 28 mm tires.  Still, it was fun and I ended up with 45 miles.

Wednesday I did my normal Night Ride; we rode the trails out to the new Airfield Falls trailhead for 40 miles.  I'm the tall guy lurking in the darkness in the back, left of viewer's center.

Then Friday was Critical Mass for 34 miles.  On the way home I hit an armadillo and went down  :o, but luckily no serious injuries. This pic shows me giving the pre-ride briefing.

....and then finally this morning I did an abbreviated 14 mile breakfast ride.  The ride was officially canceled due to thunderstorms that never developed, it didn't even rain.  (There were tornadoes 90 miles to the east.)

What was for breakfast, armadillo omelet?

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I always enjoy your pics Bio, thanks!

Happy to share!  I've been lazy about uploading pics from my phone over the last few months (and my stepmom half-jokingly accused me of bragging, so I tried to dial it back a little, haha).

Happy to share!  I've been lazy about uploading pics from my phone over the last few months (and my stepmom half-jokingly accused me of bragging, so I tried to dial it back a little, haha).

Brag all you want, I enjoy seeing pictures of where everybody else lives. It's kind why I started that photo thread (wherever it may be). To us flatlanders, seeing mountains is a nice change. 

:devil:

Nope.  Did you know armadillos carry leprosy?

They can also swim, jump, dig, and generally be adorable.

I have one tattooed on me. I love the silly little things. 

6s8YJms.gif

non armadillo related...

Getting really strong now. Our 4 minute long trapeze routine is incredibly demanding, but I think we can pull through! I just have to be able to get the one main move- she does a handstand on my legs (I hold her entire body up- basically balanced on my lower legs. Holy leg workout), comes down legs on my shoulders, then pushes off headfirst, holding onto my calves. She swings backwards and I then have to swing/pump her back up so she ends on my lap.

We've done it like... once. It's incredibly exhausting. And that's after the hand to hand releases and other poses and before the move where she's got her thighs wrapped around one ankle and her neck on the other and I flip her all the way upside down above me against eh ropes and back. Controlled. 

And it ends in a neck hang like this, which is the easiest part of the whole routine.

PlUJ6Zb.jpg

Never mind my foot that doesn't point, still.... I use a resistance band on it constantly but that surgery really effed up my flexibility. So frustrating!!!! 

I have a couple friends in Colorado I'm always tryna visit, but neither of them are skiiers. Hopefully next winter I'll finally get out there.

You really should; the season is so long out here (Arapahoe Basin is typically open from late Oct. through early June!), and it'll be an easy flight after you've moved for grad school!

Brag all you want, I enjoy seeing pictures of where everybody else lives. It's kind why I started that photo thread (wherever it may be). To us flatlanders, seeing mountains is a nice change. 

Be careful what you wish for... 

... lol nah, I'm too lazy to upload all my photos.  I don't have Doohickie's dedication, lol.  But I'll try to share more once hiking season gets into full swing!

<snip> 

non armadillo related...

Getting really strong now. Our 4 minute long trapeze routine is incredibly demanding, but I think we can pull through! I just have to be able to get the one main move- she does a handstand on my legs (I hold her entire body up- basically balanced on my lower legs. Holy leg workout), comes down legs on my shoulders, then pushes off headfirst, holding onto my calves. She swings backwards and I then have to swing/pump her back up so she ends on my lap.

We've done it like... once. It's incredibly exhausting. And that's after the hand to hand releases and other poses and before the move where she's got her thighs wrapped around one ankle and her neck on the other and I flip her all the way upside down above me against eh ropes and back. Controlled. 

And it ends in a neck hang like this, which is the easiest part of the whole routine.

PlUJ6Zb.jpg

Never mind my foot that doesn't point, still.... I use a resistance band on it constantly but that surgery really effed up my flexibility. So frustrating!!!! 

That's seriously awesome.

Edited by biodork

Yours and my definition of picking up chicks is very different.

:flirt:

I can hear my rotator cuffs screaming just looking at that!  :o

It's not too bad on my shoulders. It's my lower back that gets it. 

As a girl doing this stuff, it's drilled into your head to arch your back to get a prettier, thinner, more graceful line. And I have learned the hard way that in basing you absolutely should NOT do that. One of the instructors fiiinally gave me some tips for actually basing (usually only men do it). You have to tuck your tailbone in what we call "hollow body" where you engage all of your stomach and back muscles up to the shoulders. It's how handstands are supposed to work. Silks uses it in the higher levels, too. Silks hurt my lower back- too much arching, not enough containment. 

Well, it's weird/hard to learn- muscles I don't usually use. But it's already saving my back a little, making holding 250 pounds like that not too bad. Does kill the skinny, ribs out, sought after look though. Oh well. Vanity or a working back at 50. 

:flirt:

It's not too bad on my shoulders. It's my lower back that gets it. 

As a girl doing this stuff, it's drilled into your head to arch your back to get a prettier, thinner, more graceful line. And I have learned the hard way that in basing you absolutely should NOT do that. One of the instructors fiiinally gave me some tips for actually basing (usually only men do it). You have to tuck your tailbone in what we call "hollow body" where you engage all of your stomach and back muscles up to the shoulders. It's how handstands are supposed to work. Silks uses it in the higher levels, too. Silks hurt my lower back- too much arching, not enough containment. 

Well, it's weird/hard to learn- muscles I don't usually use. But it's already saving my back a little, making holding 250 pounds like that not too bad. Does kill the skinny, ribs out, sought after look though. Oh well. Vanity or a working back at 50. 

That is seriously bad-ass, lady... very, very cool!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.