The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

• 3 weeks later...

Well I managed the big finish.  Friday night I did 46 miles, today I did 60, which gave me 5201 miles for the year.  That's over 100 miles in less than 24 hours.  w00t.

15741155_1165076560207899_71721694449105

Well so far this year I'm average only 27 miles a week.  Gonna have to step it up a bit.  I got my longest ride of the year in today, 45 miles on the breakfast ride with these jokers.

16114196_1181495261899362_75437163780783

16112962_1181657648549790_76060148020269

180 pull ups

240 push ups

3 sets of 12 on 3 different shoulder workouts

2 mile cool down walk.

Yesterday was leg day, and for the first time in a long time, I'm not crippled today.

Feels good to be getting my strength back. It's taken just shy of a month.

I know I'm late to the party, but that is 180 more pull ups than Sam Bennett could handle.  

I was going to skip the gym today and now I can't.  Thanks for keeping me on track!

Edited by Eleven

I know I'm late to the party, but that is 180 more pull ups than Sam Bennett could handle.

I was going to skip the gym today and now I can't. Thanks for keeping me on track!

My pull up bar and I piss on Sam Bennett!

It's just too bad that I suck at hockey.

I did some serious basing tonight on trapeze. So much so that I'm sitting here with an ice pack on each thigh and a heating pad on my lower back.

I now know what weight lifting I need to do to get better- men have pec muscles that I don't... and it's obvious when I try to pull a human being up towards my chest! 

Here's the last thing we did- we didn't expect to get that far, which is why she's just hanging there for a sec. I was so beat by this point! We had the bar up so high I was using a ladder to get in, and then the other girls were climbing my feet and I'd squat/lift them up. 

• 1 month later...

I don't wear a helmet when riding on the street. But, they sure do come in handy on the trails. 

MMmHGkmh.jpg

Nice. You can see exactly where the helmet worked.

I can't think of a single good reason to not wear a helmet on the street,... but I am in NJ.

180 pull ups

240 push ups

3 sets of 12 on 3 different shoulder workouts

2 mile cool down walk.

Yesterday was leg day, and for the first time in a long time, I'm not crippled today.

Feels good to be getting my strength back. It's taken just shy of a month.

Pics or it didn't happen. You can crop out your head. PM me. Thanks.

4 days ago I ran 6 miles in 36 minutes. I haven't been able to get past 5.1 in 35 since then. But I am killing it. I've run 40 miles in the last 2 weeks, plus playing hockey on Sundays. I'm down 9 lbs. 16 more to go.

Awesome. For someone who's non-bionic like me: I ran my first 5K distance of the year the other day. "Ran." I stopped and walked 16 times and my time was 36:20. This was intended to be a baseline and I didn't push myself at all. It's fine. I like the whole process of starting at zero and building up to something. Spring 2015 I was running it without stopping in about 28 minutes. I hope to get back there.

It comes pretty quickly. I ran half of it last night and stopped to walk seven times. But at the halfway point I looked at my phone's stopwatch and it had stopped at 10 minutes or something. So I lost my mojo there and walked the rest of the way (I love excuses).

Today I went for my first walk post-surgery. Only 1.2 miles, but it felt great. Now to fix my limp...

Nice, that's gotta be a real bitch to rehab from. Good luck with that, hopefully you're close to 100% as spring is near.

Nice. You can see exactly where the helmet worked.

I can't think of a single good reason to not wear a helmet on the street,... but I am in NJ.

I know I should wear it on the street. But I've drawn a line between comfort and safety. If I'm actually on the street, it's usually one with a bike lane, or it's low (traffic) speed. It's ways possible that something bad could happen, but chances are much greater on the trail. Personal preference I guess, I never go out on a motorcycle without a helmet.

Not that anyone cares, but my hockey playing dream has died, for now. I sold the equipment (excited about getting more than half of what I spent on it). I could see that getting reasonably good was going to be practically impossible at my age and more importantly where I live. No place to practice was the final nail in the coffin. If I had someplace to go several hours at a time several days a week, on top of a clinic for true beginners, I think I could do it. Anyway, it was pretty fun trying. I did play hockey and I did score a goal. Bucket list check off. I do reserve the right to pick it up again sometime, in a different life. I think Job One before that would be becoming a much better skater.

Farewell, compression shorts. You hardly knew me.

Nice, that's gotta be a real bitch to rehab from. Good luck with that, hopefully you're close to 100% as spring is near.

I know I should wear it on the street. But I've drawn a line between comfort and safety. If I'm actually on the street, it's usually one with a bike lane, or it's low (traffic) speed. It's ways possible that something bad could happen, but chances are much greater on the trail. Personal preference I guess, I never go out on a motorcycle without a helmet.

It's been a long time coming, but slowly getting more and more active. My goal is to be 100% by June. I'll be going to Hawaii on my honeymoon, and I have no intention of sitting on the beach more than an hour or two per day. I want to go hiking, snorkeling, climb up a volcano, ride the zip line, etc. I don't think this injury will stop me from doing any of that as long as I don't hit any setbacks.

Now when it comes to being in "wedding shape" like I was hoping... That's another story :P

Edited by EichSnipe

Not that anyone cares, but my hockey playing dream has died, for now. I sold the equipment (excited about getting more than half of what I spent on it). I could see that getting reasonably good was going to be practically impossible at my age and more importantly where I live. No place to practice was the final nail in the coffin. If I had someplace to go several hours at a time several days a week, on top of a clinic for true beginners, I think I could do it. Anyway, it was pretty fun trying. I did play hockey and I did score a goal. Bucket list check off. I do reserve the right to pick it up again sometime, in a different life. I think Job One before that would be becoming a much better skater.

:cry:

Aww :C 

Glad you gave it a go, though. 

It's been a long time coming, but slowly getting more and more active. My goal is to be 100% by June. I'll be going to Hawaii on my honeymoon, and I have no intention of sitting on the beach more than an hour or two per day. I want to go hiking, snorkeling, climb up a volcano, ride the zip line, etc. I don't think this injury will stop me from doing any of that as long as I don't hit any setbacks.

Now when it comes to being in "wedding shape" like I was hoping... That's another story :P

Keep at it! I did a soccer tourney about 5 months after being able to walk again. I was fine in games 1 and 2, but then it had enough and I was a hobbling mess. So, don't push it too hard! I'm just now working on getting my toe point back by stretching it with resistance bands via one of my aerial instructors. Been a year and change and I still have a week here and there where it "acts up" and aches/pings with pain. 

I am currently slathered in Arnica gel. I went to RockVentures on Sunday with my friend and got to the tire on top of the one obstacle course. Failed twice, and came away with a horrid leg bruise. Well, it healed up, and then yesterday my trapeze instructor is like "lol let's do insane heavy leg hang rope work!" and even with trap boots, I now have a black and angry leg. And tons of bad bruises up my other leg and arms from fingerprints... lots of swingy traditional catch and release partner work. My body looks like hell. But, it beats the internal bleeding I was having from basing heavier people a month or so ago! 

Aww :C 

Glad you gave it a go, though. 

Keep at it! I did a soccer tourney about 5 months after being able to walk again. I was fine in games 1 and 2, but then it had enough and I was a hobbling mess. So, don't push it too hard! I'm just now working on getting my toe point back by stretching it with resistance bands via one of my aerial instructors. Been a year and change and I still have a week here and there where it "acts up" and aches/pings with pain. 

I am currently slathered in Arnica gel. I went to RockVentures on Sunday with my friend and got to the tire on top of the one obstacle course. Failed twice, and came away with a horrid leg bruise. Well, it healed up, and then yesterday my trapeze instructor is like "lol let's do insane heavy leg hang rope work!" and even with trap boots, I now have a black and angry leg. And tons of bad bruises up my other leg and arms from fingerprints... lots of swingy traditional catch and release partner work. My body looks like hell. But, it beats the internal bleeding I was having from basing heavier people a month or so ago! 

I totally forgot to dig that resistance band out for you. Remind me when I get home. 

I'm frequently using resistance bands to strengthen. They're a great tool! I have found that stairs don't hurt my ankle at all, even in its current weak state. Something about not transferring weight from heel to toe makes it much easier. So that's how I'm getting some good cardio in for now. Up and down the stairs, up and down the stairs, mixing in some kettle bells for extra weight.

56c2699aec398d688a50efb5809efe93_apart-f

This perfectly depicts my current walk lol. Subtle enough that it's not obvious I am injured. But noticeable enough that you can definitely tell I've got something going on. Not gonna lie, the Kroger I shop at is.... interesting. People there probably think this about me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.