The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Sorry, no.  The phone app does everything I want it to do.  The only thing it doesn't do is display it in real time, since I leave my phone in my pocket while I ride.  But I don't really care about that while I'm riding, so.....

My go-to source for all things bicycle is BikeForums.net.  You could search the forums there; they have a subforum just for gadgets and stuff.  If you want to ask specific questions, you can join and ask away.

I have one of these, and it seems to work pretty well in the very limit riding I've done, FWIW. My Nexus 6 is the largest possible device that'll fit in it though, I have a chunky case that doesn't fit, but the slim case does.

http://www.amazon.com/RAP-SB-187-UN7U-Mount-Thunderbolt-Incredible-Smartphones/dp/B005EP84Q8/ref=pd_sim_422_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Un6YWru4L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0QXF207QF7RGY2X0VTC9

I'll use my phone to track me using a Trimble Outdoors app and MapMyRide app. But that's just for backup, or to judge the accuracy. I'd rather keep my phone out of site while riding and let it track while it's in the seat pack.

I ordered one of these last night.

http://subjectivecyclist.blogspot.com/2015/10/gps-for-masses.html

I'll use my phone to track me using a Trimble Outdoors app and MapMyRide app. But that's just for backup, or to judge the accuracy. I'd rather keep my phone out of site while riding and let it track while it's in the seat pack.

I'm curious, what's the concept in keeping your phone hidden away?

It's a distraction, it's big and heavy and it's expensive to replace if it falls off.

Plus, a dedicated bike computer records much more than an app on a cell phone.

OK, that's fair. I don't ride enough but haven't noticed anything the phone app is missing. I have used either Mytracks, Runtastic Pro, or Runtastic Road Bike depending when we're talking about.

Are you familiar with any of the computers out there? I'm looking at several of them. Looking for one that records all my data, don't need the heart rate and cadence sensors though. 

JJ Garmin is the go to in my circle of racer types.  I and most have the Edge 500 but looks like it's been discontinued.  I guess the new ones have integrated Strava segment notification (geek out).  Key feature of the 500 was the ability to sync with power meters.  I don't use it for that though.  I use elapsed time, miles, avg speed, and then heart-rate when training in basement.  It also has vertical feet, temp, compass, cadence, etc.

Oh, just saw your Bryton post.  Nice find there.

Edited by bcSaberks

OK, that's fair. I don't ride enough but haven't noticed anything the phone app is missing. I have used either Mytracks, Runtastic Pro, or Runtastic Road Bike depending when we're talking about.

I agree with you, an app on the cell phone is probably all I need. It's what I've used up to this point. I just like all the bells and whistles. I'm pretty much just concerned about keeping track of my trips. All I probably needed was a standard odometer and the app for tracking, with the phone packed away in the seat pack.

Be careful if you use My Tracks, I'm pretty sure that's going away in April.

JJ Garmin is the go to in my circle of racer types. I and most have the Edge 500 but looks like it's been discontinued. I guess the new ones have integrated Strava segment notification (geek out). Key feature of the 500 was the ability to sync with power meters. I don't use it for that though. I use elapsed time, miles, avg speed, and then heart-rate when training in basement. It also has vertical feet, temp, compass, cadence, etc.

Oh, just saw your Bryton post. Nice find there.

I did consider that one, I saw it had pretty good reviews. Saw them going for $150, there are some still available. Since Garmin let's you use their software for free, it probably pays for itself if you're paying for MapMyRide and/or Strava. Was also looking at Sigma ROX 10.

Be careful if you use My Tracks, I'm pretty sure that's going away in April.

Oh, interesting. I haven't been using it lately; I didn't even install is on my current phone. I played around one day with OsmAnd and its tracking capability. It does work but OsmAnd is kinda round around the edges in general.

42 miles tonight.  We rode out to the graveyard where Lee Harvey Oswald is buried.  Not sure why, except that it was a nice long ride.  The ride took us through the east side of Fort Worth, sections of which are really run down.  I was a little nervous in a few neighborhoods when the natives cheered/jeered us.

The ride start

2EXp_DlZkmsgg6QKQnMZUGy0xqSL79Ointr4FHKZ

Dinner after the ride.  It was a surprisingly good salad, with turkey, gorgonzola, walnuts and cranberries.

kOCQA2GjeYb2F6MJTQcUvGngEJTEOCuTv0nhGEAr

Tonight's steed (brown 1983 Raleigh Super Course)

8ydA6XU-ev1D6ZuIpbfABL_lARGu_OQ3Fwh82KLa

Sorry, no pics of Lee Harvey Oswald's grave.

Edited by The Big Johnson

Broke another sweat tonight.  Tried a new group ride but apparently they don't ride every week like I thought they did.  I went to join another group I heard about, but they were lame.  Did a ride by myself, ended up with 33 miles, the return trip of which was into a 25 mph wind, gusting to 40.  At least it was warm, about 70 degrees.

oebk7UZjhX9EaMSNtBIXA6sXfF7PvQCOKrIFht09

Make that 20 pounds now.

I rode 40 miles on my fixed gear bike today.  Similar conditions to Thursday's ride (warm and windy) and I rode a similar route.  I had a similar hate for the homeward leg when I had to ride into the wind.

Taken through a sculpture in downtown Fort Worth

7NTrgq6zKMuD-_xpxNNkcsQrqVumXYJ9bJxTqcfp

Trinity Park in Fort Worth

W4T2Y2gRdwBKFmZf3DPwxFyyqkaGHIa6ihi4quMf

Sunset

9OLymO2NUaBTk-syyP7PXDrCZuXqxxLJzGKgBCxS

Lots of left turns from Delaware Ave. southbound; clogs up the street.

Ahhh gotcha. I drive by it everytime I head to work but normally not until the early afternoon during the week. I work in the morning tomorrow, though, so maybe I'll get the experience.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.