The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

It's been a while since a broke a sweat.  Last week I went on a business trip, and this weekend I seem to have picked up a bug :sick: .  I got on the bike tonight for the first time in over a week.  Almost 37 miles with an average of about 12 mph (which for me, navigating city streets, isn't too bad.  The part of the ride that I spent with the group was an Etch-A-Sketch ride where we traced out the shape of a panther (one of Ft. Worth's nicknames is "Panther City").

It's been a while since a broke a sweat.  Last week I went on a business trip, and this weekend I seem to have picked up a bug :sick: .  I got on the bike tonight for the first time in over a week.  Almost 37 miles with an average of about 12 mph (which for me, navigating city streets, isn't too bad.  The part of the ride that I spent with the group was an Etch-A-Sketch ride where we traced out the shape of a panther (one of Ft. Worth's nicknames is "Panther City").

Played volleyball for the first time since the spring last night, and it's the first time I broke a sweat in awhile (even playing 6s).

Serving: terrible

Passing: terrible (but that's not unusual)

Setting: not bad (I'm not a setter but it happens)

Hitting: surprisingly good

Yeah, if I lose down to my goal (another 30 lb.), I wonder if I'll be able find pants that will fit my skinny waist and massive guads.

Just cut out those sugary sodas with those delicious looking meals and you'd prabably already be there.

Edited by SwampD

:w00t:

41 miles on the heavy-as-hell 1966 English 3-speed today.

Some new art along the trail

IJpBVVavybh6JcPEfxsfEbkybCqRUA4SKLCFxXe2

Looking south toward downtown Ft Worth along the West Fork of the Trinity River

NLLROpI9djZP9hl1gBjIaBnwRao2nvoVCnq3-nj3

Another spot along the Trinity Trails.  Yeah, this is what a 50 lb. bike looks like

2pfTCQ1X6vVLLG6qYN4Luo-Q4thyDN8CSOGhQ3vZ

Airfield Falls.  It's often a trickle, but there's been pretty good supply to it for the last year or so, as we've had some pretty heavy rains.  Think of this view as "The American Side"

8ycWiZaXmKBwOqvPWnFQgNxyO3-FMOcvI35Z--en

...and this is "The Canadian Side"

bBtcPdRwP3UwGnXap5wqN4VSFjNBamkZr8wY8EOV

For a full accounting of calories taken in during the ride, see the What are you eating (or drinking)? thread.

Edited by The Big Johnson

Managed a slow, short run on the treadmill today for the first time since I broke my bones. Can't do a lot, but it's good to see some improvement. Back in the hoop Friday, back at the barn Saturday. I can still do chinups and didn't put on any weight throughout all this, in fact, thanks to the atrophy of muscles, I lost weight. Putting the scale back in mothballs now... Time to get the abs back. 

Managed a slow, short run on the treadmill today for the first time since I broke my bones. Can't do a lot, but it's good to see some improvement. Back in the hoop Friday, back at the barn Saturday. I can still do chinups and didn't put on any weight throughout all this, in fact, thanks to the atrophy of muscles, I lost weight. Putting the scale back in mothballs now... Time to get the abs back.

Awesome, good for you :thumbsup:

You go girl!

Thanks for the pics! What bike computer do you use, or do you just use your cell phone with the Strava app?

Good for you. Don't push it.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

That actually is awesome news, having done something similar a few years ago my advice is don't do anything more than you can repeat the next day. Worst thing that can happen is a repeat injury or set back

More sweating today.  I'm bushed.  I rode 33.5 miles on the breakfast ride this morning, then walked the dogs in the park for 3 miles in the afternoon.  It's working.  I'm down 16 pounds so far this year.

Is that 16 pounds since I saw you last or the past 6 weeks?? Either way that is pretty awesome also. I've lost about 15 since we've met and I hit the 5 mile mark on my daily power walks. Which may not sound like much but I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I first started at the 1 mile mark. So I'm pretty pumped over that. Sugar levels down, cholesterol down, blood pressure down, resting bpm way down, I guess there is a reason why you feel better after all and you can tell I'm a pretty old guy by me even knowing that info.

Great stuff, Jo!  Take it easy on yourself and enjoy getting back out with the horses.

Thanks for the pics! What bike computer do you use, or do you just use your cell phone with the Strava app?

Good for you. Don't push it.

5 miles is a long walk.  Good on ya!  And nice job on the weight loss!

For me, I think I gained a little more weight over the holidays before I started losing.

What bike computer do you use?

Are you familiar with any of the computers out there? I'm looking at several of them. Looking for one that records all my data, don't need the heart rate and cadence sensors though. 

Sorry, no.  The phone app does everything I want it to do.  The only thing it doesn't do is display it in real time, since I leave my phone in my pocket while I ride.  But I don't really care about that while I'm riding, so.....

My go-to source for all things bicycle is BikeForums.net.  You could search the forums there; they have a subforum just for gadgets and stuff.  If you want to ask specific questions, you can join and ask away.

Edited by The Big Johnson

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.