Gerbe on Buyout Waivers

That Aud Smell

As GODD notes, we're glossing over a major piece of this: Why the hell did Darcy say yesterday that he didn't expect there to be any buyouts? Did Gerbe make eyes at one of the Pegula girls in the interim?

Sabres were trying to trade him first. You don't go telling the world you're going to put him on waivers and a team just picks him up for free.

Darcy: I went to the store and bought the burgers, rolls, corn, and buns for the 4th of July!

Wife: That's great honey! Thank you! How much did you spend?

Darcy: Awww, not much.... It was only $50,000!

Same type of move. Good move, waste of resources (CB) relative to the benefit obtained.

Sabres were trying to trade him first. You don't go telling the world you're going to put him on waivers and a team just picks him up for free.

Fair deuce.

I also see that the calculation of a cap hit for an RBO can yield a negative number, in which case the team doing the buy out is entitled to a salary cap credit?!

From the CBA:

For a League Year during the term of the original SPC that was bought out, the included amount is the original Averaged Amount

of the SPC for that League Year, reduced by the amount of the Buy-Out "savings" for that League Year (with "Buy-Out savings"

defined as the actual amount of Player Salary and Bonuses that was to be paid under the SPC for such League Year minus the

amount of Player Salary that is to be paid under the Buy-Out agreement). If the amount of Buy-Out "savings" in a League Year

is more than the original Averaged Amount for such League Year, then the amount of such excess is included in the Averaged Club Salary for such League Year as a "credit."

Fair deuce.

I also see that the calculation of a cap hit for an RBO can yield a negative number, in which case the team doing the buy out is entitled to a salary cap credit?!

From the CBA:

For a League Year during the term of the original SPC that was bought out, the included amount is the original Averaged Amount

of the SPC for that League Year, reduced by the amount of the Buy-Out "savings" for that League Year (with "Buy-Out savings"

defined as the actual amount of Player Salary and Bonuses that was to be paid under the SPC for such League Year minus the

amount of Player Salary that is to be paid under the Buy-Out agreement). If the amount of Buy-Out "savings" in a League Year

is more than the original Averaged Amount for such League Year, then the amount of such excess is included in the Averaged Club Salary for such League Year as a "credit."

Once the Sabres found out there was no trade interest, they still could have given his agent and Gerbe a heads up as a courtesy. No harm in that.

As GODD notes, we're glossing over a major piece of this: Why the hell did Darcy say yesterday that he didn't expect there to be any buyouts? Did Gerbe make eyes at one of the Pegula girls in the interim?

Hum? I believe Sabre is Gerbe's dog.

Kells Pegula@KPegula 13h

reunited with Sabre http://instagram.com/p/bSgFcxJdyq/

I don't see anything wrong there.

Has it been confirmed this is a compliance buyout?

If so, I will apologize to Harrington and turn my attack on Darcy.

Compliance buyout simply does not make sense.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 1h

Buyout waivers: Gerbe (BUF) Colaiacovo (DET).

Doesn't say compliance buyout.

Fair deuce.

From the CBA:

Has it been confirmed this is a compliance buyout?

If so, I will apologize to Harrington and turn my attack on Darcy.

Compliance buyout simply does not make sense.

Doesn't say compliance buyout.

Given the post above from Aud Smell, it would make sense that it would be a RBO and not a CBO given that the Sabres would gain additional cap space due to the cap credit gained from the above calculation. This makes sense to me in that Pegula would be paying real cash for a cap benefit.

No way Regier used a CBO on Nathan effin' Gerbe. Not even he is that stupid...

No, you just tell Bob McKenzie ahead of time...just like they dropped their draft picks to him for his broadcast...in return for fluff pieces when the team needs it, like never asking about Cliff Benson's role on the team as he was the Financial Chairman of the charity used to procure little boys to be raped at PSU....and continues to run Buffalo youth charities with an interactive role to this day.

Because in some minds it perpetuates a childish narrative of defamation that they find entertaining.

OK Mr. Corsi.

No, you just tell Bob McKenzie ahead of time...just like they dropped their draft picks to him for his broadcast...in return for fluff pieces when the team needs it, like never asking about Cliff Benson's role on the team as he was the Financial Chairman of the charity used to procure little boys to be raped at PSU....and continues to run Buffalo youth charities with an interactive role to this day.

The "we were gonna trade the guy" scenario seems more plausible.

:unsure:

OK Mr. Corsi.

Again, you're running too far with this. His agent saying "we had no warning" could mean they learned about this through the media OR (more likely IMO) they had no warning leading up to today that this could be an option and the Sabres did indeed contact Gerbe's agent to inform them of their intentions.

As for the RBO/CBO debate: If the team anticipates no need to use the other CBO it has (or using 1 more at most), what is the harm in "squandering" one on Gerbe? What is the value of holding onto both of the CBO's?

Hard to anticipate what the next season might bring, why not hold on to them with the Gerbe CBO cap savings yield being so low.

As for the RBO/CBO debate: If the team anticipates no need to use the other CBO it has (or using 1 more at most), what is the harm in "squandering" one on Gerbe? What is the value of holding onto both of the CBO's?

Nothing, theoretically. However, there are plenty of CBO targets on the current roster in the eyes of the fans that would incite venom in not using the percieved opportunity cost of CBO'ing larger contracts.

There are still plenty of fans who hold the misunderstanding that we can CBO Leino...

Archived