Gerbe on Buyout Waivers

That Aud Smell

No, no... you missed it. He said three of the most ardent Canes fans. That implies there are actually MORE.. these ARE strange days.

Ah that clarifies it, they aren't real hockey fans... as suspected.

And really, why should they be with all that golf, college err pro-basketball and fishing...

“I was a little shocked that happened,” Gerbe said. “Then it becomes something that drives you to work harder.

“I want to prove everyone wrong, and especially prove it to one team up north.”

http://www.wellandtr...sign-tim-thomas

He already proved the Sabres wrong...but not being worth the 3 year contract they gave him ;)

“I was a little shocked that happened,” Gerbe said. “Then it becomes something that drives you to work harder.

“I want to prove everyone wrong, and especially prove it to one team up north.”

http://www.wellandtr...sign-tim-thomas

I have to say, I do find it funny that everytime a 3rd/4th line Sabres player gets dropped, they're "shocked" about it.

Why? You're a fringe player on a mediocre team.

The only reason you're schocked is not that you got dropped, but that you got dropped by Darcy Regier.

I see where some of the folks on my Canes boards are pencilling Gerbe in on the 2nd line. I have seen where they think he will be a good fit with Ruutu and JStaal since those big bodies will offer the protection he needs. Being an internet GM is great.

Now where's that bridge I've been wanting to sell?

I see where some of the folks on my Canes boards are pencilling Gerbe in on the 2nd line. I have seen where they think he will be a good fit with Ruutu and JStaal since those big bodies will offer the protection he needs. Being an internet GM is great.

Possible, he did start last season just coming off of back surgery but I think his size may hinder him even with Staal and Ruutu

Ha. Quite right: Penciling in a guy on a 2-way contract as a top-6 forward? Yeesh. I wish Nathan well, but am guessing that he may spend some time in the A.

That's my thinking. Who knows, it might work, but I wouldn't pencil it in now. It's wishful thinking.

He might be pencilled there because it is literally the only place he can play? He is too small for goal, not strong enough for defence, not imposing enough for 4th line duty and not defensively aware enough for the third line (he got trapped in the zone by Carolina for about 2 minutes, the Staals just knocked him off the puck anytime he got it and carried on cycling it). Gerbe's problem is that he is probably the most one dimensional player in the league, not due to lack of trying (although he could/should have worked on his defensive game a lot)

He might be pencilled there because it is literally the only place he can play? He is too small for goal, not strong enough for defence, not imposing enough for 4th line duty and not defensively aware enough for the third line (he got trapped in the zone by Carolina for about 2 minutes, the Staals just knocked him off the puck anytime he got it and carried on cycling it). Gerbe's problem is that he is probably the most one dimensional player in the league, not due to lack of trying (although he could/should have worked on his defensive game a lot)

All true and why I think he will ultimately end up in Charlotte, unless he has some magical chemistry with somebody. I don't mind the signing since its one year and two way, but I can't see where he fits in the puzzle for all the reasons you listed. Other than Tlusty/EStaal/Semin and Ruutu/JStaal, I don't have a clue where the rest of the forwards slot this season. Skinner ended the season on the 3rd, but I think they just wanted to see him at center. He isn't strong enough defensively for 3rd line duty. I bring that up only to show what is left for Gerbe, a bunch of round holes for a square peg.

All true and why I think he will ultimately end up in Charlotte, unless he has some magical chemistry with somebody. I don't mind the signing since its one year and two way, but I can't see where he fits in the puzzle for all the reasons you listed. Other than Tlusty/EStaal/Semin and Ruutu/JStaal, I don't have a clue where the rest of the forwards slot this season. Skinner ended the season on the 3rd, but I think they just wanted to see him at center. He isn't strong enough defensively for 3rd line duty. I bring that up only to show what is left for Gerbe, a bunch of round holes for a square peg.

Unfortunately that's the case for Nathan on any NHL roster. I love the effort and talent he brings, but it's not enough to overcome the stature.

• 1 month later...

Archived