Sabres pick #16 Nikita Zadorov

spndnchz

I'm sure they have. Who said he's a good skater?

Hockey Prospectus for one.

16. Nikita Zadorov, Defense, London (OHL)

Zadorov is an elite physical player who possesses many tools for future success. He has a 6'5", 220-pound frame, and he is unusually strong for a player his age. He uses it to his advantage, as he loves to take the body and land highlight reel hits. He skates at an above-average to plus level, which is significant for a player at his size. He can close gaps remarkably well.

I'm sure they have. Who said he's a good skater?

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1529

He skates at an above-average to plus level, which is significant for a player at his size. He can close gaps remarkably well.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/92355/buffalo-sabres-2013-draft-preview/

An above average skater

He's not going to be mistaken for Erik Karlsson, but an above-average or better skater at his size works for me. I haven't seen anybody say he's anywhere near a pylon.

Nobody is actually going to try and rationalize these picks, right?

Actually it's not that difficult to - if all the Darcy haters can stop & think for a moment, it's the BPA criteria for each pick. Methinks if Lindholm or Monahan had been there at 8, we'd have jumped, especially at the former - and maybe DR had something on Nicushkin to cause him concern (KHL or NHL only)

ichushkin

ichushkin

http://www.hockeypro...?articleid=1529

[/size][/font][/color]

http://www.hockeysfu...-draft-preview/

He's not going to be mistaken for Erik Karlsson, but an above-average or better skater at his size works for me. I haven't seen anybody say he's anywhere near a pylon.

I didn't say he was a pylon, but he didn't skate with any kind of form when I saw him. I hope I'm wrong because this draft is depressing enough already.

I really like Zadorov - he is an absolute hammer. I have no problem with the Sabres taking two big mobile defensemen with the way the draft fell. You have to consider what the team will look like in 3 or 4 years when you draft (since most picks won't make an impact for several years). And, I have a feeling these picks will look much better then after guys like Armia, Grigo, Girgs, and Larrson are all up with the big club.

@coreypronman

BUF selects Zadorov. He's an elite if not better physical player. Big, strong, and absolutely crushes people. High-end skater as well.

@coreypronman

With Zadorov his offensive game is just average and his decisions/reads still need work. Drafting him for his physical abilities.

John Scott with maybe a little more skill and playing D.

Zadarov has the potential to be a top pairing shut down guy. He has a good shot but should spend this year in the OHL on both his offensive and his defensive game. A ton of skill and potential. Hopefully he develops and becomes what I think he could be, big, angry, smooth skating tank that makes players afraid to come into our zone with heads down.

From ESPN.com:

Nikita Zadorov

Buffalo Sabres (from MIN)

TEAM: London (OHL)

HT: 6-5

WT: 230

POS: D

Pick analysis: Zadorov, for me, is a complete steal for the Sabres at 16. He has a chance to become a true shutdown D who makes people pay a price every single shift. His skating and range are exceptional for being 6-5 and 240 pounds. He is willing to fight and hit and in time could become a fan favorite. He needs time to figure out his puck game, but is certainly not devoid of puck skills. -- Sonier

Team analysis: The Sabres have added almost 13 feet of defensemen in this draft. He's a nice combination of mean and skilled. He's got a big shot and generates a lot of scrambles. He's a good skater for a big man, which will accelerate his development. -- Starman

Nobody is actually going to try and rationalize these picks, right?

I am not sure I understand you. The Sabres defense was awful last year and got weaker with trades, and their depth is weak. Besides all this, who would argue that the Sabres do not need to develop toughness on the blue line. Aside from Weber, they have none. I suppose you can argue that in your opinion whatever forward you like is a better prospect, but there is no arguing that the Sabres defense needs an overhaul. This should give them two solid bangers in the next couple of years.

Ok two d-men.

It seems we draft anti cyclic this year too. Last year everybody took d and we got two good Cs.

This year the best four Cs were gone so we take D.

You Got to trust your board. If these 2 players were the highest on the Sabres board when it was thier turn to pick then they stuck to their board.

This team has been woeful on D as much as it has been woeful on consistentcy from the scoring F dept..

reaching for a F and pasisn gup players you beleive wil be able to make an a bigger NHL impact would of been the stupid move. You can always trade a rising prospect in the future

Guest Sloth

Yeah at 18 it is probably just best to put him out to pasture. We gave him a shot. He got 25 games and didn't win the Art Ross. Pathetic really

And he was given plenty of ice time. 4 to 6 minutes countless times. No excuse for not lighting the lamp and setting guys up. And Rolston loved the guy too. Called Flynn up so he could better his play by getting the opportunity to play w/ Grigorenko. Man, that didn't work out. Beyond pathetic.

If Myers finds his way home and this guy works out. Can you imagine that pairing? Zadorov would allow Myers to jump into the play, as he likes to do, and would also giving a punishing presence to make up for Myers lack of. Both would be big bodies so hard to get around, one would punish defensively, the other offensively

This guy skates like he's carrying a load in his pants. I think he'll be a bust.

He's not a bad skater at all. Actually, this kid covers a lot of ground and he's a bull. If he busts, which I don't think he will, it will be not being able to think through the pro game.

This guy might be the steal of the draft. I'm serious too. If you ignore that our need was forward (debatable) and took a D with our first pick and just look at Zadarov at 16 I think it's great value. I really didn't think he would be there at that pick and feel he's right there in quality to Nurse. Risto is a much safer pick but Zadarov has more potential IMO.

Archived