Sabres pick #16 Nikita Zadorov

spndnchz

Hockey's Future:

Zadorov is the not-so-gentle giant on the Knights’ blueline. He’s a personable kid off the ice, but certainly one that you wouldn’t want to mess with on it. Zadorov had an up-and-down year with the Knights this season as he seemed to be searching for an identity.

At 6’5 and over 230 pounds, the Moscow-born Zadorov has the physicality to dominate. And, at times, his zeal to lay out his opponents with the big hit can take him out of the play. But as the year progressed, Zadorov learned to reign in his physicality and became a much more effective stay-at-home blueliner.

He has a solid shot, but doesn’t project as a number-one blueliner. However, he should fit very nicely on a top pairing as the defensively responsible, crease-clearer for whom so many teams are looking.

I like that too. We need that.

Some say this kid have a redonkulous amount of potential, but it'll take development to get there. Some project his potential could be as high as the Russian equivalent of Shea Weber.

Wow, way to stock the shelves with defense-men.

The Sabres must really think highly of Armia and Grigorenko.

Are there that many good forwards in the 2nd round?

Can Buffalo retain the services of Miller and Vanek?

I haven't followed the money in regards to the salary cap.

They must have a trade in the works involving D-men seeing as now they have:

Ruhwedel

McNabb

McCabe

Sekera

Myers

Weber

Risto

Zadorov

Pysyk

Erhroff

G. Leduc

We said they "must have a trade in the works" RE: defensemen all of last offseason too. Nothing happened.

Detroit gets Mantha... Jeez...

That can work for us. Last year we took two of the first four centers taken. This year we took two of the first seven defensemen taken, including the biggest. No need to take the leftovers of the positions in high demand, take the best players in positions other teams don't need.

Except I have a bad feeling about the first center we took last year. Thinking Bust unless he gets his backside in gear.

Detroit gets Mantha... Jeez...

Except I have a bad feeling about the first center we took last year. Thinking Bust unless he gets his backside in gear.

Yeah at 18 it is probably just best to put him out to pasture. We gave him a shot. He got 25 games and didn't win the Art Ross. Pathetic really

Sabres need centers badly and a another scorer especially if Armia is not on the roster next year. That being said, I could save some money on NHL network and cable and wait till the year after.... Hopefully Darcy will be gone by then.

Yeah at 18 it is probably just best to put him out to pasture. We gave him a shot. He got 25 games and didn't win the Art Ross. Pathetic really

First impression was not good on the compete side of things, all I am saying.

Comment From Suomipoju Nikita, are you excited to play with Buffalo ?

5:10

Nikita Zadorov: For sure. It doesn't matter who my favorite team is, it's Buffalo now. Very excited to join them and hopefully make the team. I know a lot of players, especially Grigorenko. He told me it's very nice in Buffalo.

Comment From Thomas Who was the player you admired the most when you were a kid?

Nikita Zadorov: Evgeni Malkin. Right now it's Erik Karlsson. Over the last 2 years he's really impressed me.

Comment From Tim Nikita, do you feel prepared to play in the NHL this coming season?

5:11

Nikita Zadorov: I think I can play in the NHL this season. Doesn't matter what I think, it's about what Buffalo wants to do.

I think right now our top 6 are Myers, Hoff, Sekera, Pysyk, Weber, and Mcnabb. Ruhwedel seems like the odd man out.

The only reason we saw Rudy last season was because we used it as a carrot to sign him. He will be in Rochester next season.

16 sabres_90.png Nikita Zadorov D TEAM: London - OHL

BORN: Moscow, RUSSIA

AGE: 18130402.02.pngHT: 6-5130402.02.pngWT: 221 ALLAN MUIR'S TAKE: You're going to hear some complaints from Sabres fans that the last thing a team with nine D under contract needs is two more in the first round, but Zadorov, like Ristolainen, was too good a value to pass up. If things don't work out with Tyler Myers, this kid will help fill the void. He's not quite as big ("just" 6-5, 221), but he has that mean streak that Buffalo fans have longed to see Myers even hint at. Zadorov is flat out nasty, a bruising hitter who is more than happy to drop the gloves if one of his victims takes offense. He's also a quick, smooth skater with above-average offensive abilities. It won't be long before he's holding down a spot among their top four.

Pick acquired via the Jason Pominville trade with Minnesota

That's not what I've read about him at all, supposed to have good mobility.

I've seen him skate.

I read that he roomed with Grigorenko w/the Russian junior team. Man -- Darcy's really committed to giving his elite F prospects some buddy-comfort.

So when is he going to take Erne, Grigorenko's pal?

Archived