Sabres pick #16 Nikita Zadorov

spndnchz

IMO He looks slow because of his skating style.

Yea if you watch some of his rushes, he is generating good speed but his skating stride is a little short. Now some of those highlights his skating looks great and I wonder if it was later in the year. Either way he is generating good speed and I think because he has such long legs it looks slow and lumbering.

Anyone else notice at his interview how absolutely bulky he looked? Yea he still needs to add some muscle but when we drafted Myers I thought he looked lanky. Zadorov looks like he could bench press a small car and he is only going to get bigger.

This guy might be the steal of the draft. I'm serious too. If you ignore that our need was forward (debatable) and took a D with our first pick and just look at Zadarov at 16 I think it's great value. I really didn't think he would be there at that pick and feel he's right there in quality to Nurse. Risto is a much safer pick but Zadarov has more potential IMO.

I put Nurse/Risto/Zadorov all near eachother in my personal rankings and really think Zadorov has more upside/potential than Risto. He needs another year in the OHL and a year in AHL before he plays for us. Bring him along slowly and I think we may end up talking about what a steal this kid is. I certainly think he is much better than Morin who was taken at 11th.

i remember at training camp timing Catenacci and Pominville while they were testing speed. Both the same. Pretty surprising to me.

Wow really? That gives me more hope for Catnasty. I have seen him a couple of times (not since last year though) and I was always impressed by his speed and his hands. Not to derail the thread but what are the chances of Catenacci making the Sabres this year?

Wow really? That gives me more hope for Catnasty. I have seen him a couple of times (not since last year though) and I was always impressed by his speed and his hands. Not to derail the thread but what are the chances of Catenacci making the Sabres this year?

Zero. He's not even a sure bet to make the NHL at any point, let alone straight from juniors.

Zero. He's not even a sure bet to make the NHL at any point, let alone straight from juniors.

I'd bet he makes the NHL but to the other point I am actually relieved. I think he is the type of kid that an entire year eating tons of minutes in AHL is good for.

Back to Zadorov, I have to say the more times I watch his interview the more he intrigues me. He seemed excited about playing with Grigorenko and really excited about playing in the NHL. Even seemed to like the Sabres.

If Myers finds his way home and this guy works out. Can you imagine that pairing? Zadorov would allow Myers to jump into the play, as he likes to do, and would also giving a punishing presence to make up for Myers lack of. Both would be big bodies so hard to get around, one would punish defensively, the other offensively

I think you mean Zadorov will teach Myers how to be angry all the time. Then the two of them will wreck every forward that even sniffs our blue line.

aaaaaaaaand back to reality.

i remember at training camp timing Catenacci and Pominville while they were testing speed. Both the same. Pretty surprising to me.

Pominville is a greatest skater that nobody recognizes as a great skater. Great balance. I think because he was never a player to try to dangle much....(ala Max Offsidesagainov) he never got much recognition as a skater.

As for Zadorov skating...he covers a lot of ground and covers the puck well on his stick. What you don't see on that highlight reel is how good he is going backwards. He's a good skater.

Pominville is a greatest skater that nobody recognizes as a great skater. Great balance. I think because he was never a player to try to dangle much....(ala Max Offsidesagainov) he never got much recognition as a skater.

As for Zadorov skating...he covers a lot of ground and covers the puck well on his stick. What you don't see on that highlight reel is how good he is going backwards. He's a good skater.

ROFL

Pommer is very relevant to this thread since we traded him for Zadorov (and Larsson and Hackett).

You Got to trust your board. If these 2 players were the highest on the Sabres board when it was thier turn to pick then they stuck to their board.

This team has been woeful on D as much as it has been woeful on consistentcy from the scoring F dept..

reaching for a F and pasisn gup players you beleive wil be able to make an a bigger NHL impact would of been the stupid move. You can always trade a rising prospect in the future

Ah...no. No team will trade a Crosby, Kane, or Malkin. And rising stars are also kept - unless you get lucky and one breaks out from a mediocre performance.

Elite forwards are drafted and retained. This was the big year to get one. We failed.

Ah...no. No team will trade a Crosby, Kane, or Malkin. And rising stars are also kept - unless you get lucky and one breaks out from a mediocre performance.

Elite forwards are drafted and retained. This was the big year to get one. We failed.

What elite forward was available at #8?

I don't think it would be too difficult for him to make it on this upcoming Sabres roster...

What if he struggles next season (since we'll likely have no top line to take the attention away from rookies)? What if he can't take night in and night out of losing and hearing boos in Buffalo and decides it's better in the KHL where his effort isn't being questioned hourly?

Nichushkin wasn't without risk.

What if he struggles next season (since we'll likely have no top line to take the attention away from rookies)? What if he can't take night in and night out of losing and hearing boos in Buffalo and decides it's better in the KHL where his effort isn't being questioned hourly?

Almost all picks carry some level of risk. Guys just entering college could blow out a kneecap in the next 4 years. 17-18 year old defensemen might never become mature enough for NHL responsibilities.

Almost all picks carry some level of risk. Guys just entering college could blow out a kneecap in the next 4 years. 17-18 year old defensemen might never become mature enough for NHL responsibilities.

Ristolainen carries a lot less risk. Chalk one up for Darcy being risk-averse I suppose.

True, and the Sabres decided to go with a lower risk option. Seeing the end result, I can't get too upset about that.

Ristolainen carries a lot less risk. Chalk one up for Darcy being risk-averse I suppose.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 2h

Sabres felt Nichushkin was home run or strikeout, so they intentionally walked to Ristolainen

Vogl also had this from Kevin Devine in his blog

"It wasn’t quite the same as a Grigorenko story," said Kevin Devine, the Sabres' director of amateur scouting. "We thought that Ristolainen, he was close. Nichushkin, he could be a home run, but if things don’t work out …

"He’s been quoted in the paper as saying if he didn’t play and some things didn’t go right this year he was going back to the KHL. Then if he goes back there, do we ever see him again? Because those guys, the KHL is getting more of force. They just bought Jokerit of the Finnish elite league, so they’re coming in next year. They’re getting a little bit more to deal with."

Sounds like the Sabres thought he was too much of a risk.

Of course he wasn't without risk. No prospect is without risk. Nichushkin carried a lot more risk than many, but his potential was also far greater than any other on the board at that time. If you're going to rebuild, you can certainly take a few risks along the way. Boom or bust.

I won't say the pick of Risto was a bad one. I like Risto. Just feel like the need was more at forward. Just depends on if you like risk or not. When you've got four picks in the first two rounds (and eventually five), then I think a risk with one of them is reasonable I believe.

I understand that DR went with the "safer" pick. Personally, with the state the Sabres are currently in, I would have went with the risk.

Just a hypothetical...Risto ends up being a steady NHLer in 3-6 years. Lets say, the next Tallinder.

Nichushkin...could be the next Malkin at best, or could be the next Radulov-like KHL runaway.

Do you want the reliable Tallinder? Or, do you want that risk of gaining a game-breaker in Malkin?

I think you need to take some of those risks here and there; the safe picks tend to maintain status quo sometimes.

I understand that DR went with the "safer" pick. Personally, with the state the Sabres are currently in, I would have went with the risk.

Just a hypothetical...Risto ends up being a steady NHLer in 3-6 years. Lets say, the next Tallinder.

Nichushkin...could be the next Malkin at best, or could be the next Radulov-like KHL runaway.

Do you want the reliable Tallinder? Or, do you want that risk of gaining a game-breaker in Malkin?

I think you need to take some of those risks here and there; the safe picks tend to maintain status quo sometimes.

I'd take the chance on a Malkin rather than the sure Tallinder.

The thing is Ristolainen's upside is higher than Tallinder's. So is Zadorov's. Tallinder never hurt people like these guys can.

And Nichushkin's upside is not as high as Malkin.

Thing is, for them it's not a hypothetical.

Last year they did their homework and decided Grigorenko was worth the risk.

This year they did their homework and decided Nichushkin was not.

It's that simple, and we won't know for a long time whether they were right.

Archived