Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

By top 4 and cheap i was referring to Sekera. I'm not too fussed about comparing goalie numbers in different leagues, but i appreciate your point. I disagree Sabres couldn't afford to take a chance on that pick. They had 11 in that draft. The goalies you mentioned are ok, but haven't shown much tbh, and I just really want a young pedigree goalie to have faith in (Lehner in Ottawa for example). I agree there is no way to compare a forward to a goalie, but i'd take a solid starter over a solid top 6 forward

I understand what you are saying. Sekera was good and cheap which was nice. The thing with the goalies I think we just disagree on Fucale versus our prospects. Particularly I think Ullmark can be the next guy. Time will tell.

@HennyTweets: Rumblings indicate that a possible sabre/habs deal could be gathering momentum.

Not sure where to put that since it's Sabres related...

Briere and Emelin both healthy scratches tonight.

Edited by DStebb

For the record, the Habs have always loved Ott... If I remember correctly they almost got him before we did but Dallas demanded Lars Eller which was a deal break for Montreal.

CanadiensTalk@HabsTalk113m

For what it's worth... Steve Ott & Drew Stafford ARE in the lineup for the #Sabres Daniel Briere is a healthy scratch for #Canadiens

So, if we don't see 9 or 21 out there, consider him/them gone. I think we all know what I'm hoping for.

Edited by Eleven

CanadiensTalk@HabsTalk113m

For what it's worth... Steve Ott & Drew Stafford ARE in the lineup for the #Sabres Daniel Briere is a healthy scratch for #Canadiens

So, if we don't see 9 or 21 out there, consider him/them gone. I think we all know what I'm hoping for.

Definitely. I'm not sure how legit these are yet, but a Habs commentator also said he's hearing that there are serious talks.

The talk on twitter seems to be centered around Ott, but that may be mainly due to the fact that they've wanted him and not because they're looking to get him right now.

Unless Ott has specifically told Lafontaine that he has no intention of re-signing with the Sabres, trading Ott would be a HUGE mistake and would put a real early blemish on Lafontaine's record in my book.

I was all in favor of trading Roy for Ott. He's a nice player. A guy you can throw out there on the third line, chip in some O, throw a few hits and annoy the hell out of the other team. Right now he's playin 1st and 2nd line minutes. It's not a good fit. They don't have anyone better, but he is a liability playing in those spots. If the Sabres had 6 or 7 better forwards, he'd be a nice fit. Unfortunately, they might have 2 or 3 guys better than Ott.

I was all in favor of trading Roy for Ott. He's a nice player. A guy you can throw out there on the third line, chip in some O, throw a few hits and annoy the hell out of the other team. Right now he's playin 1st and 2nd line minutes. It's not a good fit. They don't have anyone better, but he is a liability playing in those spots. If the Sabres had 6 or 7 better forwards, he'd be a nice fit. Unfortunately, they might have 2 or 3 guys better than Ott.

I agree, he's filling in spots until there are additions to the team. But, he fills a different role that is tough to come by whether he's on the 1st line or 3rd line. With the sluffs that are on this team, an upcoming cap increase and a need to spend money on contracts...... Ott should be the first person signed to a 5-6 year contract.

Unless Ott has specifically told Lafontaine that he has no intention of re-signing with the Sabres, trading Ott would be a HUGE mistake and would put a real early blemish on Lafontaine's record in my book.

Disagree. Ott does nothing to push the needle, and I don't see him being much of a real leader like the C says. I think he's easily expendable. Would have to see what we get.

@DarrenDreger: Daniel Briere is a proud guy and obviously isn't happy with his situation. How long before both the player and team look for a better fit?

Dreger has been getting pounded by questions about Briere/the Sabres tonight. This might be his response. If it is, it would seem to indicate he hasn't heard anything directly but that it would make sense.

@DarrenDreger: Daniel Briere is a proud guy and obviously isn't happy with his situation. How long before both the player and team look for a better fit?

Dreger has been getting pounded by questions about Briere/the Sabres tonight. This might be his response. If it is, it would seem to indicate he hasn't heard anything directly but that it would make sense.

Never was a big DB fan but if he wants to come here score a few goals and feel some love in a swan song, I wouldn't hate it.

Trading for Briere doesn't make a ton of sense to me unless we are either emptying the cupboards of veteran leadership and want him to be that guy, or if we are giving Montreal salary relief and making them pay us with draft picks?

If a deal happens, and I don't think it will, I'd be surprised if Buffalo had to give them anything other than a bag of pucks.

Trading for Briere doesn't make a ton of sense to me unless we are either emptying the cupboards of veteran leadership and want him to be that guy, or if we are giving Montreal salary relief and making them pay us with draft picks?

I wouldn't mind seeing them get Briere back merely because I'd like to see how Vanekman resolves the screen name dilemma.

Hockey History@HistoricHockey1 Jan

Gleason trade should make the Leafs/Sabres rivalry better. Rumour is Otts wife cheated on him with Gleason, and Gleason had a baby with her.

Woah, not sure how reliable this is?

I've heard it a lot from a number of sites. Plus the way Ott plays with Gleason, it wouldn't surprise me. An extension to the rumour is that Gleason was also Ott's best man

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.