Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Chris Berman came up w/ that during the '99 Finals while doing his nicknaming schtick. (No idea what prompted the twitter.)

Ahh, I see. He did have a certain talent for that, didn't he?

I infer that the Twitter was directed towards an observation of how far MSM has progressed in terms of commenting on the sport.

Russia was up 2-0, but T.J. Oshie won it with a last second field goal.

That's how I remember it anyway. It was pretty early and I was pretty tired.

you missed the part where TJ went all happy gilmore and took off his skate to stab Tarnasko in the face and then he fired a 150mph slapper that took Bob in and thru the net........ or maybe my meds created a weird dream state

You were both pretty close, you're just missing the part where Regan came out of the stands wearing an American flag while Hulk Hogan's "I am a Real American" theme song blared on the loud speakers

Chris Berman came up w/ that during the '99 Finals while doing his nicknaming schtick. (No idea what prompted the twitter.)

I seem to remember something like "Hey Grosek, you Smehlik like Zhitnik!" Actually, I don't remember "Grosek" being the name there, but I can't remember who it was.

Edit: google shows "Hasek" or (even better) "Peca-head" as player it is directed towards.

I seem to remember something like "Hey Grosek, you Smehlik like Zhitnik!" Actually, I don't remember "Grosek" being the name there, but I can't remember who it was.

Edit: google shows "Hasek" or (even better) "Peca-head" as player it is directed towards.

Still my favorite fan-signage ever: Mike Peca Is Bigger Than Your Peca

I recall "Juneau, you Smehlik Zhitnick."

I might convert my vhs' s of the Finals to bluray this summer. If I do and I run across the original bit I'll let you know if there was an answer to the Q. (I don't recall an answer.)

Tavares out for the rest of the Olympic tournament with an unspecified leg injury.

I'm thinking about that Islanders' #1 draft pick.

In my mind the Islander's first has been portrayed as a bleating lamb tied to a stake, and I see Sabres fans as staring from the bushes, saliva pouring from their sharp teeth. It amuses me to no end

I take ne delight in this at all (in fact, it made me wince), but it's now reported that Tavares is done for the season with a knee injury -- I thought I read MCL tear/meniscus damage.

May he heal fully.

And may the Islanders finish in the bottom 3 this year and, with a healthy Tavares, next year as well.

That staked lamb just keeps looking juicier. There's no way the Islanders pick isn't top five now.

And if this is one of those nine-month ligament issues, the Islanders might be opening their Christmas presents with a Rolston-sized lead in the McDavid derby.

I've always thought top five this year they have to defer, but with a recovering JT and not Vanek, it's tough to see them not being a bottom-five team next year too.

This is looking more and more like Darcy's best trade ever.

I really wouldn't want Tavares (Ok, I would want him, but not at the expense of a full rebuild) I'd rather take my chances with a few more years and seeing guys be original Sabres....no Tavares, No other high priced free agents.

It may not work well (see Edmonton) but to me it'll be more fun starting from 'scratch' and seeing the kids grow.

I really wouldn't want Tavares (Ok, I would want him, but not at the expense of a full rebuild) I'd rather take my chances with a few more years and seeing guys be original Sabres....no Tavares, No other high priced free agents.

It may not work well (see Edmonton) but to me it'll be more fun starting from 'scratch' and seeing the kids grow.

Tavares is the type of player you go through years of rebuilding to get. There's zero chance we get him, but to say you wouldn't want him is ludicrous.

23 is too old for you?

Funny you say that. That was exactly what I was thinking when I heard he's out for the season. Anyone else and it's just a joke. But with Garth at the wheel ...

Same reaction here: "Ha! Funny ... That was fun-... ... Waaaiiit a second."

Oh, and the idea that we'd not trade their 1st back to them for Tavares is hilarious.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.