Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

It is on NBC.

EDIT: These ###### are only showing the shootout? Dammit. That is not what they said during broadcasts even AFTER the (approximately) 3pm tweets today about showing the whole game tomorrow.

I really, really hate American networks' coverage of every Olympics.

Edited by Eleven

I'm pretty sure that if you go to nbcolympics.com you can watch any event live or on replay through the intertubes. It's actually pretty incredible.

Only if you have an existing paid cable subscription via DirecTV, Comcast, etc. since you have to log in with your account info, meaning the cord-cutters like myself are SOL. I can't understand why they won't just make a paid app for $10-20 to allow people access. I'm sure lots of people would rather pay for the high quality broadcasts vs the sketchy free stuff you sometimes find.

Because they want the cord-cutters to be SOL.

But why? There's an untapped market for them with people like myself who don't want cable but still want access to special events like the Olympics and NHL playoffs. It seems like they'd make more money charging for an app to allow those people access for that time period than they would by trying to convince us we should sign up for cable. How much can NBC really get in the way of kick-backs for each cable subscriber, given how many other networks (and the service provider) are getting a slice of the pie?

But why? There's an untapped market for them with people like myself who don't want cable but still want access to special events like the Olympics and NHL playoffs. It seems like they'd make more money charging for an app to allow those people access for that time period than they would by trying to convince us we should sign up for cable. How much can NBC really get in the way of kick-backs for each cable subscriber, given how many other networks (and the service provider) are getting a slice of the pie?

2 items. 1 - NBC is owned by a cable company.

2. Even if they weren't, getting a few pennies up front from cable/satellite companies each month per subscriber for several MM subscribers is probably more lucrative than getting a buck from a few 100k ala carte watchers & that revenue stream has less variation to it as well. Much easier to work w/ from NBC's standpoint. (Keeping in mind also that the cable company gives NBC a few pennies for each of their networks.)

2 items. 1 - NBC is owned by a cable company.

2. Even if they weren't, getting a few pennies up front from cable/satellite companies each month per subscriber for several MM subscribers is probably more lucrative than getting a buck from a few 100k ala carte watchers & that revenue stream has less variation to it as well. Much easier to work w/ from NBC's standpoint. (Keeping in mind also that the cable company gives NBC a few pennies for each of their networks.)

True, but if they're going to lose people like myself as subscribers anyhow, why not try and replace some of that lost revenue? I know I'm sort of fighting a losing battle, but it drives me crazy that they haven't found a way to sell something to people who want it. Usually free market is good at those things.

True, but if they're going to lose people like myself as subscribers anyhow, why not try and replace some of that lost revenue? I know I'm sort of fighting a losing battle, but it drives me crazy that they haven't found a way to sell something to people who want it. Usually free market is good at those things.

Fellow cordcutter here. The cable companies know that if what you wish for were an option, there would be many more of us.

Hey bio,

You're cute with steam coming out of your ears ...

;)

EDIT TO ADD:

cbc.ca streams live every single Canadian Olympic event ... FOR FREE!!

Watching Canada - Finland as I type.

:wub: I think I tried a CBC link at one point last week and got an error that the video was not available in my area. :(

Fellow cordcutter here. The cable companies know that if what you wish for were an option, there would be many more of us.

Maybe, but I think there will always be people who want the full channel lineup (mostly families). The percentage of cordcutters may very well go up if they made that an option, though.

:wub: I think I tried a CBC link at one point last week and got an error that the video was not available in my area. :(

Maybe, but I think there will always be people who want the full channel lineup (mostly families). The percentage of cordcutters may very well go up if they made that an option, though.

Josie and I were going to cut the cord when we moved into our new apartment, but the complex had a package with Time Warner that basically defeated the point. We're getting cable stupid cheap. I did however forego the HD, sports package and DVR box this time. That saves us an extra $70 at least each month. I just paid $150 or whatever for Gamecenter on my XBox which is really the only TV I need.

Josie and I were going to cut the cord when we moved into our new apartment, but the complex had a package with Time Warner that basically defeated the point. We're getting cable stupid cheap. I did however forego the HD, sports package and DVR box this time. That saves us an extra $70 at least each month. I just paid $150 or whatever for Gamecenter on my XBox which is really the only TV I need.

This and $8/month for Hulu Plus cover about 95% of my TV watching needs. Except now that GCL no longer includes the playoffs, I'm out of (legal) options to watch hockey in April / May. (Not that it's been a problem the last few years as a Sabres fan...)

You need to have a Canadian IP address, or APPEAR that you do.

Percentage of cord cutters would absolutely go up. Comcast & NBC aren't going to do anything to intentionally speed up that trend. I'd expect when the transition is more complete it'll be the elderly, more so than families, remaining w/ cable. And they won't bring in nearly as much cash as they do now. (I'll save you the response to the last sentence. Thanks for that observation, Captain Obvious. ;) )

You need to have a Canadian IP address, or APPEAR that you do.

Percentage of cord cutters would absolutely go up. Comcast & NBC aren't going to do anything to intentionally speed up that trend. I'd expect when the transition is more complete it'll be the elderly, more so than families, remaining w/ cable. And they won't bring in nearly as much cash as they do now. (I'll save you the response to the last sentence. Thanks for that observation, Captain Obvious. ;) )

;) I wish I knew how to do the fake IP address thing... I know of that as an option, but I haven't really looked into how to do it. Someday...

Edited by biodork

This and $8/month for Hulu Plus cover about 95% of my TV watching needs. Except now that GCL no longer includes the playoffs, I'm out of (legal) options to watch hockey in April / May. (Not that it's been a problem the last few years as a Sabres fan...)

I didn't even think about that, so I guess I'm glad I still have cable for NBCSN :sick:

;) I wish I knew how to do the fake IP address thing... I know of that as an option, but I haven't really looked into how to do it. Someday...

It's real easy. Jo has been using Tunnel Bear for her IP rerouter during the Olympics. I use SurfEasy.

https://www.tunnelbear.com/

Anonymoux is a good masking app for firefox. I don't believe you get a Canadian address w/ the free version. (Just US, UK, & Netherlands IIRC.

I didn't even think about that, so I guess I'm glad I still have cable for NBCSN :sick:

It's real easy. Jo has been using Tunnel Bear for her IP rerouter during the Olympics. I use SurfEasy.

https://www.tunnelbear.com/

Anonymoux is a good masking app for firefox. I don't believe you get a Canadian address w/ the free version. (Just US, UK, & Netherlands IIRC.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions! Will check it out.

Russia was up 2-0, but T.J. Oshie won it with a last second field goal.

That's how I remember it anyway. It was pretty early and I was pretty tired.

you missed the part where TJ went all happy gilmore and took off his skate to stab Tarnasko in the face and then he fired a 150mph slapper that took Bob in and thru the net........ or maybe my meds created a weird dream state

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.