Buffalo Bills 2013

inkman

It's now 3 hours after the game. Has anyone seen a replay yet that doesn't show Blount fumbling through the end zone.

It should have been 20-27, Bill's ball at the 20.

I have not looked for that, but are you sure you understand the rules?

I think it's Rule 72.3: If a Patriot gets within the back judge's sightline, it's a touchdown; just give it to 'em.

(In all seriousness, if he had possession crossing the plane, it ends there.)

I have not looked for that, but are you sure you understand the rules?

I think it's Rule 72.3: If a Patriot gets within the back judge's sightline, it's a touchdown; just give it to 'em.

(In all seriousness, if he had possession crossing the plane, it ends there.)

He hit the ground and fumbled before he crossed the line. Before they went to break, they showed at least four different angles. When they came back from break, after the Shlockulee's call they only showed us the angle that showed us nothing.

If they showed me an angle that proved it was a TD I would not even be posting. They didn't. I can only assume why.

I don't think Thad is better than EJ. His accuracy on deep balls is better and he's got good pocket awareness (something which i thought EJ improved upon over the season).

The last pats touchdown didn't look at all like a fumble to me. The ball hit the ground on the goal line and the ground caused the ball to come loose.

My offseason wish list:

Fire special teams coach.

Fire Hackett (not going to happen)

Sign any good FA offensive lineman/lb.

Draft an offensive lineman and a tight end early.

Edited by qwksndmonster

He hit the ground and fumbled before he crossed the line. Before they went to break, they showed at least four different angles. When they came back from break, after the Shlockulee's call they only showed us the angle that showed us nothing.

If they showed me an angle that proved it was a TD I would not even be posting. They didn't. I can only assume why.

I may have been focused either on the Sabres game or the Bears game at that point.

Why: Because one is a first-round pick, and the other isn't. There is an inherent need to think that the first-round guy must be a star early.

There is no way that Thad Lewis is a better quarterback. He has, however, had more time in the league. Notably, with other teams that don't have good quarterbacks, and they didn't start him, either.

Well I know EJ is a rookie and has a higher "ceiling" I'm not ready to pass judgement yet... Idk if he's being coached to be conservative or if he just isn't going deep on his own decision.... He will learn over the offseason I hope and come back looking better next year.... I don't think thad is starter material by any means, but if EJ can't stay healthy, then he isn't either.

Bills need more help than just a QB still, our D is better but still can improve a ton and our offense is very old school... Maybe some intuitive thinking for a game plan next season and a better O line will help that..

And the special teams absolutely has to be revamped, it's the worst I've seen on a bills team in a loooooong time.

Neither EJ nor Thad Lewis are anywhere near the answer to the QB position in Buffalo. And every single discussion is irrelevant until they find a QB. There's a reason everybody but Cincy has a franchise QB in the playoffs this year. There's also a reason that only one or two franchise QBs missed the playoffs this year.

No position in sports is more important than the QB position in football.

Most good QB's don't come flying out of the gate. It takes a couple of years to groom them for the pros. I often wonder how much talent has been wasted because teams are using the 'win now at all costs' mentality and the league has lost many a good QB simply due to impatience. It never used to be like that. There is no way to tell if EJ is the right QB right now, even after next year.

What EJ has going for him is composure and coolness in the pocket. That's two things Thad doesn't have. I'm not saying Thad is a bad QB, he just doesn't trust his line enough and often scrambles way too early. I have to give Thad credit, he has balls and he gives it his all every play. But the best QB's in the league have great composure and also a great calmness in the pocket. He doesn't get rattled easily.

Most good QB's don't come flying out of the gate. It takes a couple of years to groom them for the pros. I often wonder how much talent has been wasted because teams are using the 'win now at all costs' mentality and the league has lost many a good QB simply due to impatience. It never used to be like that. There is no way to tell if EJ is the right QB right now, even after next year.

What EJ has going for him is composure and coolness in the pocket. That's two things Thad doesn't have. I'm not saying Thad is a bad QB, he just doesn't trust his line enough and often scrambles way too early. I have to give Thad credit, he has balls and he gives it his all every play. But the best QB's in the league have great composure and also a great calmness in the pocket. He doesn't get rattled easily.

On your first point: How badly must San Diego want a re-do on the Drew Brees decision?

On your second: Dead on.

I'm glad you already know EJ isn't a franchise back, Stebb. Why aren't NFL teams knocking down your door for an offensive quality control job?

Opinions are to be had by any and all. EJ was absolutely terrible at most points of the season. He has an amazing attitude, but he doesn't have it. Should've never been a first rounder but, like they say, it only takes one team. Otherwise, he might be a third rounder. Didn't like the pick then or now. He gets another season but he better improve a lot.

Accuracy isn't something that changes much for QBs. EJ has never had that.

And the Brees comment was terrible and completely unrelated. Brees showed a lot while in SD. Had two very good seasons.

Edited by DStebb

And the Brees comment was terrible and completely unrelated. Brees showed a lot while in SD. Had two very good seasons.

But not until after being benched in his second year for Flutie and SD used a 4th overall pick in the draft on Rivers prior to his 3rd year. Edited by Lanny

I don't know what is going on with Dareus, benched two consecutive weeks for disciplinary reasons. Either get it fixed or get him out of here

Also,

Thad Lewis is a better QB at this point than Manuel.

on your first: apparently rumor has it that he's been habitually late to team meetings. captains talked to him yesterday. coaches decision to bench.

second: I agree that Thad is slightly better right now, but I believe it has more to do with him being in the league longer. I think in the long run EJ is going to be MUCH better than Thad, as I think Thad has hit his ceiling or is close to it. I think that with a little better offseason coaching, EJ will be much better next year. Tannehill wasn't anything to write home about last year, but this year he really stepped up (was a choke artist though). I think EJ is really going to grow because everything people say he has been terrible at this year is at least coachable.

I don't know what is going on with Dareus, benched two consecutive weeks for disciplinary reasons. Either get it fixed or get him out of here

Also,

Thad Lewis is a better QB at this point than Manuel.

"at this point" is where I stop caring about how good Thad Lewis is. I'm more interested in "in the future"

Ah. This was all I needed to see.

The LGR argument. The argument of people who clearly haven't suffered enough.

Buffalo needs to draft another qb w/ good potential. I'm not saying Manuel is a bust. I think the guy can still be the franchise qb the Bills have been looking for since the Kelly era came to an end. If another qb is taken in the first round, Manuel would have to up his game to win the starting position. In my opinion, if Manziel is available, the Bills should draft him. He's fast and has a strong arm. Manziel's 40 is a 4.45. He also is not afraid to test a team's defense. The drawback for Manziel is his height. He is only 6 feet tall, so some will argue that as a reason not to draft him. But need I mention Drew Brees? He also stands at 6 feet. I'm not saying Manziel is the next Drew Bress, but you never know. There's talk Manziel will be taken by the Jaguars or Vikings. But if they pass, Buffalo shouldn't. The most important position in football is quarterback. The Bills need to gamble to find the right one.

Edited by thanes16

Buffalo needs to draft another qb w/ good potential. I'm not saying Manuel is a bust. I think the guy can still be the franchise qb the Bills have been looking for since the Kelly era came to an end. If another qb is taken in the first round, Manuel would have to up his game to win the starting position. In my opinion, if Manziel is available, the Bills should draft him. He's fast and has a strong arm. Manziel's 40 is a 4.45. He also is not afraid to test a team's defense. The drawback for Manziel is his height. He is only 6 feet tall, so some will argue that as a reason not to draft him. But need I mention Drew Brees? He also stands at 6 feet. I'm not saying Manziel is the next Drew Bress, but you never know. There's talk Manziel will be taken by the Jaguars or Vikings. But if they pass, Buffalo shouldn't. The most important position in football is quarterback. The Bills need to gamble to find the right one.

They're going to give EJ another year. The only way I see them drafting another QB in this class is if the LSU QB (Mettenberger) falls all the way to them in the 3rd round because of his torn ACL. And even then I doubt they'd pull the trigger that early. [Mettenberger seems like the best of both worlds for the Bills. He's a great insurance plan if Manuel doesn't improve next year but they won't have any controversy next year since he'll still be on the mend.]

I'm not super high on EJ long term but it's looking like at least four QBs will be gone by the time the Bills draft 9th. So even if they wanted a new guy, their options will be limited.

They're going to give EJ another year. The only way I see them drafting another QB in this class is if the LSU QB (Mettenberger) falls all the way to them in the 3rd round because of his torn ACL. And even then I doubt they'd pull the trigger that early. [Mettenberger seems like the best of both worlds for the Bills. He's a great insurance plan if Manuel doesn't improve next year but they won't have any controversy next year since he'll still be on the mend.]

I'm not super high on EJ long term but it's looking like at least four QBs will be gone by the time the Bills draft 9th. So even if they wanted a new guy, their options will be limited.

Bills draft 9th. 4 Qbs will not be taken in the first 8 picks.

Edited by thanes16

Teams 1-8 include the Texans, Jaguars, Rams, Browns, Raiders, and Vikings -- all of whom need QBs.

Just about every mock draft I've seen has Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles, and Manziel going before the Bills draft.

Here's hoping. I'm as skeptical of EJ as the next guy (ok not as much as some of you yahoos) but I don't want a QB in top 10. I'd rather take one later 3rd round plus, while filling holes elsewhere including LB, TE, WR, G and possibly safety if Byrd's twitter sentiments are as transparent as they seem to be.

If EJ flames next year, they can draft his college successor, Winston.

Edited by inkman

Here's hoping. I'm as skeptical of EJ as the next guy (ok not as much as some of you yahoos) but I don't want a QB in top 10. I'd rather take one later 3rd round plus, while filling holes elsewhere including LB, TE, WR, G and possibly safety if Byrd's twitter sentiments are as transparent as they seem to be.

If EJ flames next year, they can draft his college successor, Winston.

I 100% agree with this. All of this.

Teams 1-8 include the Texans, Jaguars, Rams, Browns, Raiders, and Vikings -- all of whom need QBs.

Just about every mock draft I've seen has Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles, and Manziel going before the Bills draft.

They are the only team in that list that I don't think picks a QB that high, not with what they have tied up in Bradford, unless they show their cards and can move him pre-draft though

It would be funny to see the Texans take Carr 1st overall..........

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.