Buffalo Bills 2013

inkman

We don't have the offensive line to power run, not even close. We pissed away a game while we were still in playoff contention because of conservative play..

You're basically not even trying to win the game with the 4 minute offense at that point, you're just accepting that you're giving the ball back. I want to see some indication that these coaches have it, but they're still terrified to make mistakes even after the season is lost.

This is the problem with results-based analysis of coaches. Earlier in the year the coaches got killed in the media/public for going with the no-huddle and being aggressive rather than running out clock. Now they get killed for being too conservative. It's the same thing that drives me nuts when announcers say "on third down I don't know why you run a route short of the sticks"...I don't know, maybe because receivers turn short passes into larger gains and break tackles all the time?

I'm generally in favor of being aggressive and going for the jugular, and wanted to see the ball in EJ's hands at least for one play. But you're playing against a Jags team quarterbacked by Chad Henne and missing both starting WRs and their starting RB...thinking your defense could close out that game was not completely insane.

Jacksonville is a terrible team with many key injuries..... Buffalo bested a bad team... However we aren't much better... I don't care how close the games are we lost, fact is we gave Atlanta a game, let the buccaneers demolish us, and let Jacksonville hang around until the end.... Any team can lose in the NFL (see rams beating saints)

As for EJ, he is average at best right now, that pick he threw on the screen play was just brutal and his accuracy is still questionable.. Our offense has no mojo, no flow, that's on Hackett mostly and maybe a little on Marrone.

As much as our D has improved this year, it is no where near where it needs to be, we allow 100 yard rushers nearly every week, always a few big plays as well.

As for special teams, this could be the worst it had looked for the bills in 20 years, it's time for a change there.

Overall I am curious to see how it looks after we lose Byrd and what the offseason /draft bring our way.... I think we improve next year, maybe 9-7 but it's gonna be a little while before we are relevant again

This is the problem with results-based analysis of coaches. Earlier in the year the coaches got killed in the media/public for going with the no-huddle and being aggressive rather than running out clock. Now they get killed for being too conservative. It's the same thing that drives me nuts when announcers say "on third down I don't know why you run a route short of the sticks"...I don't know, maybe because receivers turn short passes into larger gains and break tackles all the time?

I'm generally in favor of being aggressive and going for the jugular, and wanted to see the ball in EJ's hands at least for one play. But you're playing against a Jags team quarterbacked by Chad Henne and missing both starting WRs and their starting RB...thinking your defense could close out that game was not completely insane.

Eh I've been killing them for being too conservative all year. And isn't ragging on coaches who just won a game text book non-result based analysis?

Eh I've been killing them for being too conservative all year. And isn't ragging on coaches who just won a game text book non-result based analysis?

For this game sure. But you also hit them for conservative play costing us a game while we were in playoff contention...when you could easily point to probably a dozen other things just as important in that loss :)

Jacksonville is a terrible team with many key injuries..... Buffalo bested a bad team... However we aren't much better... I don't care how close the games are we lost, fact is we gave Atlanta a game, let the buccaneers demolish us, and let Jacksonville hang around until the end.... Any team can lose in the NFL (see rams beating saints)

As for EJ, he is average at best right now, that pick he threw on the screen play was just brutal and his accuracy is still questionable.. Our offense has no mojo, no flow, that's on Hackett mostly and maybe a little on Marrone.

As much as our D has improved this year, it is no where near where it needs to be, we allow 100 yard rushers nearly every week, always a few big plays as well.

As for special teams, this could be the worst it had looked for the bills in 20 years, it's time for a change there.

Overall I am curious to see how it looks after we lose Byrd and what the offseason /draft bring our way.... I think we improve next year, maybe 9-7 but it's gonna be a little while before we are relevant again

How many years have we aspired to 9-7? That's awful lofty for the team from WNY.

We don't have the offensive line to power run, not even close. We pissed away a game while we were still in playoff contention because of conservative play..

You're basically not even trying to win the game with the 4 minute offense at that point, you're just accepting that you're giving the ball back. I want to see some indication that these coaches have it, but they're still terrified to make mistakes even after the season is lost.

198 yards rushing yesterday tell a different story. It was the right call to run. And if you mean the Atlanta game by the "pissed away a game"--I agree that the play calling was horrible.

4-2 in the division would be a nice start.

Agreed, but me thinks the chances of knocking off the dolphins and then the Patriots at home aren't very high..... Maybe Miami in the cold, but they have a lot more to play for than us.

I'd be happy splitting the last two and being able to best NE

198 yards rushing yesterday tell a different story. It was the right call to run. And if you mean the Atlanta game by the "pissed away a game"--I agree that the play calling was horrible.

When have we ran it straight at a team when they knew it was coming and gotten more than a couple of yards? It appears to me that our RBs get most of their yards when our offense is varied and clicking.

And Woody, I agree on the ST being terrible. We've probably been called for some sort of penalty on 75% of punt returns that weren't fair caught.

And now we learn that Manuel was playing on a bum knee. It makes even more sense now.

When have we ran it straight at a team when they knew it was coming and gotten more than a couple of yards? It appears to me that our RBs get most of their yards when our offense is varied and clicking.

All season? It's why the team is FOURTH IN THE LEAGUE in rushing yards. There were games with third- and fourth-string QBs this year; you think those defenses weren't prepared for the run?

All season? It's why the team is FOURTH IN THE LEAGUE in rushing yards. There were games with third- and fourth-string QBs this year; you think those defenses weren't prepared for the run?

The NO and Miami games were two of the team's worst rushing games of the season, even the Bengals game was below average. The bills are 4th in the league in rushing yards because they are #1 in the league in rushing attempts, almost 100 more attempts than the league average.

The NO and Miami games were two of the team's worst rushing games of the season, even the Bengals game was below average. The bills are 4th in the league in rushing yards because they are #1 in the league in rushing attempts, almost 100 more attempts than the league average.

So now every team knows the Bills are going to run, and yet they still racked up 198 yesterday?

Anyway, back to my point: it's smart to run late in the fourth with a lead. It is not smart to pass. You can ask Jason Garrett all about that.

There's plenty of meat on the bone for critics without biting into the gristle.

So now every team knows the Bills are going to run, and yet they still racked up 198 yesterday?

Anyway, back to my point: it's smart to run late in the fourth with a lead. It is not smart to pass. You can ask Jason Garrett all about that.

Yes, running late is smart. But you could tell the jags exactly what play your going to call and still get 198. The Bills have a strong running game, but they still need a QB to be a strong team.

I agree with you that it's not smart to be pass happy, but if you're not even going to try to pick up the third down and win the game right there then why should you ever trust your QB to make the throw?

Yes, running late is smart. But you could tell the jags exactly what play your going to call and still get 198. The Bills have a strong running game, but they still need a QB to be a strong team.

Absolutely. But he's a rook.

I agree with you that it's not smart to be pass happy, but if you're not even going to try to pick up the third down and win the game right there then why should you ever trust your QB to make the throw?

Absolutely. But he's a rook.

Run it, because he's a rook. You've got ESPN, Fox, and just about everyone else (erroneously, IMO) thinking Romo is a star, and look what happened on second and six? RUN.

Edited by Eleven

There is no but. He's a rook, he's the starter next year no matter what. but they better draft a damned QB in this draft so that IF he fails to develop, the next guy we try isn't a Rook.

But they went out and got a QB this past draft remember? First round QB? He was their guy. I mean no one else had him in the 1st round... or 2nd round... or 3rd round... but the Bills got their man and he can't fail to develop right? right folks? He is ###### EJ Manuel!

Still one of the worst 1st round draft selections I have witnessed.

And yes I will continue to occasionally bitch about that until a real 1st round QB is drafted and takes over this godforsaken team.

But they went out and got a QB this past draft remember? First round QB? He was their guy. I mean no one else had him in the 1st round... or 2nd round... or 3rd round... but the Bills got their man and he can't fail to develop right? right folks? He is ###### EJ Manuel!

Still one of the worst 1st round draft selections I have witnessed.

And yes I will continue to occasionally bitch about that until a real 1st round QB is drafted and takes over this godforsaken team.

It was pretty widely reported the Eagles were going to take Manuel with the 35th pick, if not try to trade in to the back end of the 1st round to take him, so you can stop saying that nobody wanted him before the 4th round.

It was pretty widely reported the Eagles were going to take Manuel with the 35th pick, if not try to trade in to the back end of the 1st round to take him, so you can stop saying that nobody wanted him before the 4th round.

No one was going to take him. Even if the Eagles did who cares? There wasn't a first round QB in the draft period. It would be like Buffalo drafting Fucale at 8 because they needed a GT. The bills did not get value for that pick and could have fixed other holes or problems and still drafted just about any QB they wanted as late as the 3rd round.

If you think EJ Manuel was a first round talent I have to disagree.

Edited by LGR4GM

There is no but. He's a rook, he's the starter next year no matter what. but they better draft a damned QB in this draft so that IF he fails to develop, the next guy we try isn't a Rook.

I am a big fan of drafting a QB somewhere in the draft every year.

If the Sabres' only rostered goaltender was Patrick Lalime, it would've been smart to take the best goalie in the draft. But as the season goes, "Fucale" develops and gets injured, thereby forcing us to not only play Lalime, who gets injured too, but Ty Conklin and Bob Essensa. Then Fucale healthies up, plays out the back end of the season, and develops a little more.

We had a major need at the draft, we addressed it, we didn't disastrously over-pick a QB at #8, and we got value in return for trading down. In comparison to the rest of the recent Bills drafts, that's remarkable.

No one was going to take him. Even if the Eagles did who cares? There wasn't a first round QB in the draft period. It would be like Buffalo drafting Fucale at 8 because they needed a GT. The bills did not get value for that pick and could have fixed other holes or problems and still drafted just about any QB they wanted as late as the 3rd round.

If you think EJ Manuel was a first round talent I have to disagree.

I never said EJ was a first round talent (although I don't have an issue with the pick because QBs get over-drafted due to the importance of the position), but the "he wouldn't have been drafted until 2027 in the 15th round" needs to end.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.