Buffalo Bills 2013

inkman

I never said EJ was a first round talent (although I don't have an issue with the pick because QBs get over-drafted due to the importance of the position), but the "he wouldn't have been drafted until 2027 in the 15th round" needs to end.

In other news, the Sabres have traded Manuel for a 15th round draft pick in 2027.

I never said EJ was a first round talent (although I don't have an issue with the pick because QBs get over-drafted due to the importance of the position), but the "he wouldn't have been drafted until 2027 in the 15th round" needs to end.

LGR still hasn't figured out how important a quarterback is. When you realize the Bills haven't drafted a franchise QB since 1983, taking EJ a little early in the 2013 draft hardly feels wrong.

But they went out and got a QB this past draft remember? First round QB? He was their guy. I mean no one else had him in the 1st round... or 2nd round... or 3rd round... but the Bills got their man and he can't fail to develop right? right folks? He is ###### EJ Manuel!

Still one of the worst 1st round draft selections I have witnessed.

And yes I will continue to occasionally bitch about that until a real 1st round QB is drafted and takes over this godforsaken team.

Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole board when you do.

http://www.youtube.c...7OX0OyQsOo#t=18

Edited by qwksndmonster

Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole board when you do.

http://www.youtube.c...7OX0OyQsOo#t=18

LGR still hasn't figured out how important a quarterback is. When you realize the Bills haven't drafted a franchise QB since 1983, taking EJ a little early in the 2013 draft hardly feels wrong.

So I say something that you disagree with and its personal attack time? Got it understood. Good thing I no longer give a ######.

No one was going to take him. Even if the Eagles did who cares? There wasn't a first round QB in the draft period. It would be like Buffalo drafting Fucale at 8 because they needed a GT. The bills did not get value for that pick and could have fixed other holes or problems and still drafted just about any QB they wanted as late as the 3rd round.

If you think EJ Manuel was a first round talent I have to disagree.

I don't really care if he was 4th round talent. You get the QB. Literally (and I use that word for it's literal meaning) no other gap or issue matters until you address that position.

I am a big fan of drafting a QB somewhere in the draft every year.

This would be my strategy as well, and I'd limit it to by the 3rd round. The only exception would be that you currently have a top 15 QB under contract for more than 2 years.

So I say something that you disagree with and its personal attack time? Got it understood. Good thing I no longer give a ######.

qwk was over the line, not sure d4rk was, and we will always give a ####, that's why we come back.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

Personal attack? Come off it. You have shown zero aptitude for understanding just how dire having a quarterback is to this team. It has been THIRTY years. THIRTY years of taking players that aren't franchise quarterbacks based on EXACTLY the logic you are using.

Personal attack? Come off it. You have shown zero aptitude for understanding just how dire having a quarterback is to this team. It has been THIRTY years. THIRTY years of taking players that aren't franchise quarterbacks based on EXACTLY the logic you are using.

HE ISNT A FRANCHISE BACK!

he's better than all the other quarterbacks selected so far...

HE ISNT A FRANCHISE BACK!

and seriously, he missed almost a month of preseason, and a month of the regular season. I'll give him another full season before I go out and crucify the guy. FFS, stop declaring him a bust as fact when it's only your opinion

Edited by dEnnis the Menace

he's better than all the other quarterbacks selected so far...

and seriously, he missed almost a month of preseason, and a month of the regular season. I'll give him another full season before I go out and crucify the guy. FFS, stop declaring him a bust as fact when it's only your opinion

He got injured at FSU. He gets injured in the NFL. He is injury prone and not a franchise back. That is my point.

He got injured at FSU. He gets injured in the NFL. He is injury prone and not a franchise back. That is my point.

Injury prone, and getting taken out at the knees by a defenseman are two different things. I think everyone who gets hit in the side of their knee will be "injury prone". It was a learning experience, and he rarely takes chances anymore. But let's look at some other Franchise QBs that have been injury prone

Aikman had how many concussions? he was "injury prone". He was still a franchise QB.

Kelly got hurt numerous times...slightly injury prone...still a franchise qb

is RGIII not a franchise qb?

There's a number of other well known QBs that have been franchise qbs but were injured a lot because they put themselves on the line for their team. Their leadership and willingness to do so made them a franchise qb. Nobody questions EJs leadership, and Stevie and Fred have both said he has a lot to learn in the NFL, but they'd play with him anyday. He's our franchise qb, and I think a year or two under his belt, and he'll be the best we've seen in a LONG time.

Injury prone, and getting taken out at the knees by a defenseman are two different things. I think everyone who gets hit in the side of their knee will be "injury prone". It was a learning experience, and he rarely takes chances anymore. But let's look at some other Franchise QBs that have been injury prone

Aikman had how many concussions? he was "injury prone". He was still a franchise QB.

Kelly got hurt numerous times...slightly injury prone...still a franchise qb

is RGIII not a franchise qb?

There's a number of other well known QBs that have been franchise qbs but were injured a lot because they put themselves on the line for their team. Their leadership and willingness to do so made them a franchise qb. Nobody questions EJs leadership, and Stevie and Fred have both said he has a lot to learn in the NFL, but they'd play with him anyday. He's our franchise qb, and I think a year or two under his belt, and he'll be the best we've seen in a LONG time.

QBs nowadays also get hurt a lot more because so many more of them are playing a mobile game. Naturally some of the best ones on good teams are still playing the pocket passer role, but the running QB is quite prevalent and much more likely to get injured at this level than in college.

We can only hope that EJ becomes a little wiser when it comes to how and when he runs the ball himself. If he can rely on the pocket more, he wont get hurt as much. It's really that simple.

qwk was over the line, not sure d4rk was, and we will always give a ####, that's why we come back.

I'm not allowed to jib him with a youtube video (his native language)? If Liger posts the same comment about EJ 20 times over a span of 7 months I think it's fair that I have a bit of fun with it.

EJ is intelligent, tenacious, and wants to win badly. Did you see the huge smile on his face after the last game as he ran onto the field to high five and celebrate with the defense? I can already see makings of a young leader. It remains to be seen whether or not he can be that franchise guy, but he's made of the right stuff. The Bills picked Kiko Alonso and EJ Manuel with the #8 pick and people whine about the QB because they read stuff by draft gurus that said he was a 3rd rounder.

My brother was contemplating getting an EJ jersey at the beginning of the season. He's older by 7 years (and has been a Bills fan much longer than me), but I already seem to be much more cynical as a sports fan. I cautioned him that EJ is nowhere near a sure thing. He said "I know, but if EJ's going all out, I should go all out."

yup I like youtube videos because most of them are fun or funny. clearly I don't add anything else to the board. gerbe is a center, tyler ennis is better than crosby, enroth is better than miller, ej manuel is a franchise qb

Right now you're adding a lot of kicking and screaming when people disagreed with you. FWIW I think Qwk went a little far, but responding like this isn't going to do you any favors.

Oh, and I have yet to see anybody call EJ a franchise QB.

Right now you're adding a lot of kicking and screaming when people disagreed with you. FWIW I think Qwk went a little far, but responding like this isn't going to do you any favors.

Oh, and I have yet to see anybody call EJ a franchise QB.

I'm going to head this one off before LGR says it. I'm not calling EJ franchise, but when your team hasn't had one in almost 20 years, you have to pick QBs that have the potential to be and pick them every year, regardless of where they're ranked.

Without a franchise QB this team isn't going anywhere. It's the most important position in football and the most ignored position in Buffalo's drafting since I was born.

The key here is to be comfortable taking a risk on a QB. It's not desirable, but it's OK if they don't become "the guy". The position is important enough to risk it a round or 2 early. Taking a risk gives you a chance at success, not picking a QB guarantees failure.

Also it should be noted that "mobile" style QB's disproportionately fail to make it to the second round of the playoffs.

The key here is to be comfortable taking a risk on a QB. It's not desirable, but it's OK if they don't become "the guy". The position is important enough to risk it a round or 2 early. Taking a risk gives you a chance at success, not picking a QB guarantees failure.

Also it should be noted that "mobile" style QB's disproportionately fail to make it to the second round of the playoffs.

How do we define "mobile style" QBs? I'm assuming you mean run-first QBs, and I'd agree that they indeed fail to advance (although there's a bit of a selection effect here since how many run-first Qbs are actually good?). But I think mobility is a desirable trait, all else equal. A couple of recent Super Bowl winners, Roethlisberger and Rodgers, are terrific at using their feet to extend plays, even if running isn't their primary means of moving the chains.

How do we define "mobile style" QBs? I'm assuming you mean run-first QBs, and I'd agree that they indeed fail to advance (although there's a bit of a selection effect here since how many run-first Qbs are actually good?). But I think mobility is a desirable trait, all else equal. A couple of recent Super Bowl winners, Roethlisberger and Rodgers, are terrific at using their feet to extend plays, even if running isn't their primary means of moving the chains.

Yeah, say QBs with more than 48 attempts (3 per game). above that you are either (a) afraid to throw, or (b) a run first guy. either way, you're not likely to be deep in the playoffs.

Without a franchise QB this team isn't going anywhere. It's the most important position in football and the most ignored position in Buffalo's drafting since I was born.

Yes, indeed. Until the Bills manage to get consistent above average to excellent QB play then we can take it to the bank that next year will mark year 15 and counting of NFL irrelevance for this franchise.

Yes, indeed. Until the Bills manage to get consistent above average to excellent QB play then we can take it to the bank that next year will mark year 15 and counting of NFL irrelevance for this franchise.

I think they need to better the offensive line before expecting any better QB play honestly. But otherwise, yes, you are right.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.