The Pegula Plan

Andrew Amerk

The general manager manages the owner's team. I'd be surprised if the owner wasn't brought in/ consulted, or often given final approval on bigger contracts, trades, hiring and firing of front office staff and coaching.

But I've never thought there was much Johnson in for Flutie going on, Or I haven't seen much evidence that Darcy's hand has been forced by a limited budget, personnel decisions, or otherwise.

So less literally, you believe Pegula is too involved with his hockey team?

The only move we know for sure was Pegula's doing was Ehrhoff and that one has worked out well so far. I guess it's conceivable that he was pushing for Leino after missing on Richards because he really wanted to sign someone, but that's anyone's guess. Maybe Chz knows who was behind that one.

Very good, Andrew and Hopeful. Now we're waking up. Terry hasn't said one impressive thing since, "Starting today..." Talk about an empty suit. Hockey-wise, there's no one home. You wonder who's at home all when he says things like, “I’m a little confused, I’m sitting on the stage between Mayor Brown and Ted Black, yet I look over there, and I’m wondering, is something backwards here?"

BTW, this isn't the first time he's made a wishy-washy comment about winning the Cup since his initial declaration. He's used the "only one team wins the Cup" line before, and he's talked about how long it took Boston, Chicago, LA to win.

Taro, I don't see the opportunity for humor when we're in danger of going 0-3 on owners since the Knoxes died off/were bought out. Hell, I'd take OSP back in a heartbeat — if Quinn stayed away, of course.

I'm glad that TG stepped up when he did. I've still got a local team to cheer for/moan about. But I flat out don't want him back.

I've had a lousy month and am done w/ agonizing over them being awful. They'll be better (eventually) and I believe that TP will 'get it' (eventually). If it's not fun, it's ####ing stupid to care about it. I'm going to have fun w/ it. I'd suggest that you go that way as well, but I doubt you'd appreciate the suggestion and have too much respect for you to make it; so let's just go about it our own way. We're going to anyhow. :beer:

Maybe Andrew and PA are right. Maybe they are wrong. Who knows, but more importantly, IMO, we should be saying who cares?

It's not important, at least not to me. IMO, the Sabres will be only spinning their wheels until a high *hockey IQ guy* comes in to run the hockey department. The only way this happens, or will happen in a way that will work, is for Pegula and Black to stay out of it. Bring in someone like Dudley, or even Muckler (not sure, what is he doing these days?), to run the team from a hockey perspective and be a hands off owner. Black can run the PR and marketing departments.

As for how Pegula made his fortune. I have had a lot to say about it. While, I don't like fracking, I am not certain how much of it Pegula's company actually did. That kind of operation takes huge amounts of cash and huge investments in infrastructure and equipment. Cash Pegula didn't have at the time. He had enough cash, probably through some investors, to buy the land. His fortune was made when he sold those land rights to a huge big time operator, who will be doing the fracking.

I like Pegula as the owner.

And I love the fact that he is investing into the regional area, not just the local, Buffalo/Niagara area.

And in the interest of full disclosure, working in the energy industry, I don't mind the fact he is attempting to push a pro energy agenda, even if it is hydro-fracking.

To further that, I also believe we as fans need to be patient, the team is turning a corner, it's about dam time to. Pegula's wallet helps make that happen, but more importantly, his passion for the team does in an even larger role.

What can I say, I like the guy, and if he's a businessman attempting to do business in a very very business unfriendly New York environment, more power to him.

I firmly believe this man wants to bring a championship or 20 to Buffalo.

I could care less if he speaks to the media, there is no rule that says he must.

The only thing that concerns me is the presence of Regier. Can he navigate through a rebuild and bring a Cup or 20 to Buffalo?

My personal belief based on his track record is no, but I'm not on the inside with the brass, so they may know many different things.

But once again, I believe Pegula is firmly behind a plan to make it happen, and that's good enough for me, even if there is some business/politics from different venues involved. This isn't the 1960's and Sabres fans aren't going to change the world. Lord Stanley's Cup being hoisted by my cherished Sabres would be a dream come true for this fan that has a mere 80 year life span roughly.

Delaware North advanced $55 million in lieu of future revenue from the concessioin contract. While it was instrumental in closing the financing package on the arena, it was hardly a gift.

Yes, that is true, and oh, by the way Tom, who is the President and Chairman of Delaware North?

Not to mention, I never said it was a gift, it was however, instrumental in the financial closing.

Terry Pegula: the Teflon Owner.

I think this is pretty simple; if you think Darcy is a flawed GM only capable of creating flawed rosters, then you have to look at Pegula. Black makes it sounds like they're equals in the hierarchy, so you can't look at him.

If, as a lot of people here say, you don't want Darcy to rebuild the team, then you must accept that Pegula needs to address this.

What's more important to Sabres fans, a fancy new building, or a team that can compete? I'm getting mixed signals here.

Pegula did say they're going to try and win a cup within three years. Now that the sh@t has hit the fan, and the hockey and PR departments are mired in chaos, there needs to be an apparent leader. Who else is going to lead? Darcy, who is damaged goods? Black, who openly defers all hockey decisions to Darcy and Terry? Someone needs to lead, and the person who rode in on the glowing white horse, with tears in his eyes, and blue collar genes, who everyone thought was going to lead the Sabres and the fans to the Hockey Promised Land, needs to step out of the phone booth again and reassure everyone that while there may have been a few kinks in the original plan, we're all still going to experience nirvana in our lifetimes.

And, so far, it looks like we're going to get none of that. So far, it looks like we're going to get more of the same: excuses, promises for the future, and diversions.

I think TPegs is learning and as I already said, he is now an owner and not being a fan boy. He is the best owner one can hope for and if it takes him a few years to figure it out. Great. I've waited 42 out of my 52 years for this, I can wait some more. On top of that I can't die until the Bills win a Super Bowl so I have plenty of years left.

I'm just glad he isn't a Daniel Snyder (Redskins) type owner.

Terry Pegula: the Teflon Owner.

I think this is pretty simple; if you think Darcy is a flawed GM only capable of creating flawed rosters, then you have to look at Pegula. Black makes it sounds like they're equals in the hierarchy, so you can't look at him.

If, as a lot of people here say, you don't want Darcy to rebuild the team, then you must accept that Pegula needs to address this.

What's more important to Sabres fans, a fancy new building, or a team that can compete? I'm getting mixed signals here.

Pegula did say they're going to try and win a cup within three years. Now that the sh@t has hit the fan, and the hockey and PR departments are mired in chaos, there needs to be an apparent leader. Who else is going to lead? Darcy, who is damaged goods? Black, who openly defers all hockey decisions to Darcy and Terry? Someone needs to lead, and the person who rode in on the glowing white horse, with tears in his eyes, and blue collar genes, who everyone thought was going to lead the Sabres and the fans to the Hockey Promised Land, needs to step out of the phone booth again and reassure everyone that while there may have been a few kinks in the original plan, we're all still going to experience nirvana in our lifetimes.

And, so far, it looks like we're going to get none of that. So far, it looks like we're going to get more of the same: excuses, promises for the future, and diversions.

What does all this mean, other than you're unhappy with the team and you want DR fired? Do you think TP is somehow putting something over on us?

I too would like to see DR gone, but I do not understand the vague accusations and innuendos that many here are posting. Is TP not entitled to have his own opinion about whether to keep DR?

Sounds like some of you are afraid I'm right about Terry.

I don't see the opportunity for humor when we're in danger of going 0-3 on owners since the Knoxes died off/were bought out.

Really, PA, I think you're one of only a few that's genuinely afraid of anything here.

Time will tell, but I'm optimistic about Pegula's ownership and, with due consideration for on ice troubles, I'm enjoying it thus far.

What does all this mean, other than you're unhappy with the team and you want DR fired? Do you think TP is somehow putting something over on us?

I too would like to see DR gone, but I do not understand the vague accusations and innuendos that many here are posting. Is TP not entitled to have his own opinion about whether to keep DR?

There are no innuendos; the Sabres organization is in dire need of leadership, the fans need to see that someone is actually leading this ship through the storm and we're not getting it.

I mean, what the hell, there are countless posts about how the team sucks, Darcy needs to be fired, the team is staring at many years of a rebuild, the fans once booed the players for any failure on ice, now they're beyond that and hardly make a noise, Mr. Buffalo Sabres was fired earlier this season, ticket prices are up yet fans don't even bother to show up with tickets they bought, they leave games 4 minutes before it ends, all of the stats suck. You have to be kidding me that after all of this reality - these facts - that you can sit there behind your computer and give Pegula a pass for doing and saying absolutely nothing? Are all of those words just words, then, with no real care to back any of it up?

Are you then suggesting that the fans ought to be okay with all of this? Are you okay that there is seemingly no one to answer for? Are you okay knowing Darcy is apparently going no where, and the only idea of any plan we have is minced words about a re-build? WTF?

If this is the level of apathy for something we directly fund and are emotionally vested in, no wonder politicians do not fear the public anymore.

It's over Sizzle......the world is upside down, and technology has driven the ADHD even further.

Hey....you have Benson giving all the speeches and running the show on this thing. Their MO is to shut up when times are tough. If the Buffalo News was smart, those guys would get off of Twitter and dig...dig...dig. I'm afraid the only person there with the skill and ambition to do so is Graham. Everyone is scared these days to take a chance. All I know is we had the white knight come into town in tears with Ted Black telling us they have no interest in real estate development and we are here to win multiple cups. Since then we have HarborPlace with every politician in a 800 mile radius with a shovel in hand, meetings at the arena about fracking, UB getting caught redhanded with $$ from the fracking industry to fabricate a report and having to shut down, National Fuel suddenly a big player in the fracking game, Penn St getting exposed less than a year after the East Resource boys bailed town after cutting in one of the most questionable venture firms out there months before. All the while the actual hockey team is in a tailspin with no firm leadership or ability and we are now told it's hard to win....don't worry be happy.

But hey.....I have an awesome new app on my $600 phone that can tell me Kevin Porter's Corsi Number in real time.....

People just don't care these days. If Watergate or Iran Contra happened today, it would be reported in a series of tweets and forgotten in 2 weeks.......Ronnie and D!ck are facepalming as we speak

It's over Sizzle......the world is upside down, and technology has driven the ADHD even further.

Hey....you have Benson giving all the speeches and running the show on this thing. Their MO is to shut up when times are tough. If the Buffalo News was smart, those guys would get off of Twitter and dig...dig...dig. I'm afraid the only person there with the skill and ambition to do so is Graham. Everyone is scared these days to take a chance. All I know is we had the white knight come into town in tears with Ted Black telling us they have no interest in real estate development and we are here to win multiple cups. Since then we have HarborPlace with every politician in a 800 mile radius with a shovel in hand, meetings at the arena about fracking, UB getting caught redhanded with $$ from the fracking industry to fabricate a report and having to shut down, National Fuel suddenly a big player in the fracking game, Penn St getting exposed less than a year after the East Resource boys bailed town after cutting in one of the most questionable venture firms out there months before. All the while the actual hockey team is in a tailspin with no firm leadership or ability and we are now told it's hard to win....don't worry be happy.

But hey.....I have an awesome new app on my $600 phone that can tell me Kevin Porter's Corsi Number in real time.....

People just don't care these days. If Watergate or Iran Contra happened today, it would be reported in a series of tweets and forgotten in 2 weeks.......Ronnie and D!ck are facepalming as we speak

Thank you for posting this.

I can't stop laughing at the idiocy of it. It's some deranged mix of crotchety old man, juvenile cry baby, and corporate fossil fuel establishment paranoia, with just a sprinkling of hockey frustration. Highly entertaining.

edit: And it's much better when you re-read it with the voice of Drunk Uncle. http://www.hulu.com/playlist/314461

I can't stop laughing at the idiocy of it. It's some deranged mix of crotchety old man, juvenile cry baby, and corporate fossil fuel establishment paranoia, with just a sprinkling of hockey frustration. Highly entertaining.

edit: And it's much better when you re-read it with the voice of Drunk Uncle. http://www.hulu.com/playlist/314461

Is this Wi-Fi organic??

You're welcome.

I enjoy making people laugh. I also enjoy making people think. And vice-versa.

There are no innuendos; the Sabres organization is in dire need of leadership, the fans need to see that someone is actually leading this ship through the storm and we're not getting it.

I mean, what the hell, there are countless posts about how the team sucks, Darcy needs to be fired, the team is staring at many years of a rebuild, the fans once booed the players for any failure on ice, now they're beyond that and hardly make a noise, Mr. Buffalo Sabres was fired earlier this season, ticket prices are up yet fans don't even bother to show up with tickets they bought, they leave games 4 minutes before it ends, all of the stats suck. You have to be kidding me that after all of this reality - these facts - that you can sit there behind your computer and give Pegula a pass for doing and saying absolutely nothing? Are all of those words just words, then, with no real care to back any of it up?

Are you then suggesting that the fans ought to be okay with all of this? Are you okay that there is seemingly no one to answer for? Are you okay knowing Darcy is apparently going no where, and the only idea of any plan we have is minced words about a re-build? WTF?

If this is the level of apathy for something we directly fund and are emotionally vested in, no wonder politicians do not fear the public anymore.

I am far from apathetic about the Sabres.

I want DR to get canned.

I just think that in the real world, people often disagree about what the right course of action is -- and it's almost always just a disagreement -- and nothing more nefarious than that. So I don't think TP is up to something, and I don't think he wants to win the Cup any less than he used to. I think he thinks that the prudent course of action is to keep DR. And I'm not going to accuse him of anything other than being wrong about keeping DR.

I thin the post was fairly whacked out too, but calling someone an idiot is out of line.

I thin the post was fairly whacked out too, but calling someone an idiot is out of line.

Pronouns. Check 'em.

If I had a dollar for every time I wrote a long response to comments on this forum and then ultimately deleted them I'd be rich.

I'm trying to keep it simple.

Perspective. This is a game that consumers supported enough to make it a viable business.

Demanding answers from TP is like demanding answers from Michael Dell, Steve Ballmer, etc. on what their plan is to make their company competitive. You can ask, but don't think for a moment you are entitled to a response.

If I had a dollar for every time I wrote a long response to comments on this forum and then ultimately deleted them I'd be rich.

I'm trying to keep it simple.

Perspective. This is a game that consumers supported enough to make it a viable business.

Demanding answers from TP is like demanding answers from Michael Dell, Steve Ballmer, etc. on what their plan is to make their company competitive. You can ask, but don't think for a moment you are entitled to a response.

Actually, they hold open, annual meetings where stockholders and analysts attend and ask questions......you know.....sort of like an end of season press conference......

Actually, they hold open, annual meetings where stockholders and analysts attend and ask questions......you know.....sort of like an end of season press conference......

Yeah, it was a bad analogy. he was referring to public corporations, not privately held ones.......

The reporters jumping all over Pegula on the day of the Harbor Center groundbreaking was stupid. It's a huge investment for him and one of the biggest investments in the city of the past few decades, but the reporters want to rile him up about why his hockey team isn't good? Get over yourselves, guys.

I do understand why they keep Pegula away from the press for the most part. He's not very good in front of a microphone -- and that goes all the way back to right when he bought the team and the people asking the questions were all in love with him.

Pegula is definitely trying. It hasn't worked so far, but he's doing a ton more than our last couple owners. To expect him to swoop in and get everything right in his first shot was silly. I got caught up in it like everyone else.

How hard would it have been to fire Regier and Ruff, get some help from the hockey world to hire a top GM, set the mission (he did that well), write the checks and get out of the way? Would you have done it any other way? I don't think you would have. It's an odd paradox, but I think the more you love the Sabres, the less involved you would be in the process. I'd trust the pros, and not myself, that's for sure.

How hard would it have been to fire Regier and Ruff, get some help from the hockey world to hire a top GM, set the mission (he did that well), write the checks and get out of the way? Would you have done it any other way? I don't think you would have. It's an odd paradox, but I think the more you love the Sabres, the less involved you would be in the process. I'd trust the pros, and not myself, that's for sure.

Sorry I just find that funny considering the source :P

Archived