The Pegula Plan

Andrew Amerk

Exactly.

I guess I wanted to hear some confidence from the owner, not someone mirroring an attitude that reflects the play on the ice.

He went from "we will win the Cup within 3 years" to "it took Jacobs 39 years, so give me a break."

Did he actually say we'll win the Stanley Cup within 3 years, or we'll have "Cup" holders in the restrooms within 3 years ? Maybe he was misquoted.

"You don’t like yourself. But you do admire yourself. It’s all you’ve got, so you cling to it. You’re so afraid if you change, you’ll lose what makes you special. Being miserable doesn’t make you better than anybody else. It just makes you miserable."

Coupled with schizophrenia is bad, man.

So the person who is upset at "puck bunny" isn't afraid to casually toss around the names of mental illnesses to criticize hockey opinions?

"You don’t like yourself. But you do admire yourself. It’s all you’ve got, so you cling to it. You’re so afraid if you change, you’ll lose what makes you special. Being miserable doesn’t make you better than anybody else. It just makes you miserable."

You too? Come on. Stop the personal attacks and debate the points. "You're just trolling." "You're just miserable." "You're schizophrenic." Sounds like some of you are afraid I'm right about Terry.

This place irritates me at times. So many people on here are guilty of the same thing they blame TP for, being emotional about things rather than rational. Talk about hypocrits..

If I'm TP I'm realizing now that the information I gathered when I purchased the team might not have been as sparkly as it was made out to be. I'd be irritated but I'd be looking to do something about it. The man made a massive financial commitment to the team and has made even more financial commitments to the area. For an area is DIRE NEED of improvements I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

There are comments on here, now he'll have a sports bar to take money away from the Mom & Pops. The last time i checked that was the point of business, to be competitive. There are people who are going to go to a locally owned venue regardless and if the sports bar in HarborCentre is locally owned, then what of it?

The guy is investing his money into the development of youth hockey in the region. He's invested in bringing the farm team back to Rochester and owning them. They are now going to be operating Blue Cross Arena as well. So he's extending his money into the Rochester region.

Yet we want to sit here and blast him because NOW he's backed off this 3 year plan (which we all said was crap to begin with). Give it a break already. It's everyone's right to be a miserable jerk-off about everything but what is the goal of being that way? I'm certainly getting to the point where I don't even want to bother checking the forum anymore.

And when the taxes paid by the mom and pops help your competition? It wouldn't rile you up?

Yeah. I don't get it either.

I'm not sure what is worse, TP making comments about the Cup, or people buying into them. Did anyone really believe the Sabres would win the Cup in three years when he said that? In the end, having TP as our owner is a good thing.

The issue Andrew is pointing out isn't not winning the Cup so far, it's going from confidently saying, "We're going to win a Cup, and then win another one" (paraphrase) and "Starting today..." and Ted Black several times referring to a "championship machine" to weak and defeatist-sounding statements about how rare it is to win one, how many decades it took this franchise to do it, and so on. It makes the initial famous declaration sound like something a PR guy suggested and not the backbone principle of the franchise.

This place irritates me at times. So many people on here are guilty of the same thing they blame TP for, being emotional about things rather than rational. Talk about hypocrits..

If I'm TP I'm realizing now that the information I gathered when I purchased the team might not have been as sparkly as it was made out to be. I'd be irritated but I'd be looking to do something about it. The man made a massive financial commitment to the team and has made even more financial commitments to the area. For an area is DIRE NEED of improvements I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

There are comments on here, now he'll have a sports bar to take money away from the Mom & Pops. The last time i checked that was the point of business, to be competitive. There are people who are going to go to a locally owned venue regardless and if the sports bar in HarborCentre is locally owned, then what of it?

The guy is investing his money into the development of youth hockey in the region. He's invested in bringing the farm team back to Rochester and owning them. They are now going to be operating Blue Cross Arena as well. So he's extending his money into the Rochester region.

Yet we want to sit here and blast him because NOW he's backed off this 3 year plan (which we all said was crap to begin with). Give it a break already. It's everyone's right to be a miserable jerk-off about everything but what is the goal of being that way? I'm certainly getting to the point where I don't even want to bother checking the forum anymore.

I just want to piggyback on this post.

It's not like the guy can stop everything and work only on the hockey team. And it's not like if he did stop everything and work only on the hockey team, that would increase the rate of success. Everyone wants Pegula to step aside and let the hockey people make the hockey decisions, and, at the same time, be critical when he diverts his own attention elsewhere? Silly.

I'm not sure where the sports bar criticism started, but if he opens a sports bar, so what? It's still local; it's not Hooters. Just because it's owned by someone with a lot of money doesn't mean it's not a local business. Last time I checked, Mark Croce still had a ton of dough, and Chop House is still a local restaurant.

It's too bad that the Sabres haven't won a Cup in the twenty-five months that Pegula has owned the team, and likely will not win one next year either. It's too bad for HIM, actually, since he's tied with the Knoxes for the best sports team owner this city ever has seen.

What, exactly, is it that those complaining want? Another Wilson? Snyder? Rich?

This guy is great. He's doing everything he can to put money not only into the team, but into the area. I can't believe that there are nay-sayers. I can understand (and disagree) with criticism about how he made his money, but I can't fathom, at all, the criticisms about how he's spending it. It seems like some people would rather have had him buy the Red Wings and work on developing downtown Detroit. Then we'd all be sitting here cursing our luck and still waiting for a benefactor.

I don't get it. A guy buys the team and commits his own resources to the franchise, and the surrounding area. The main criticism is that he has kept Regier on as GM. The second is that he has a frosty relationship with the media.

What precisely bothers you about the guy? Would you rather have a conglomerate own the team? The team needs to be recast, of course, but what is the role of owner beyond that? I sincerely want to know. (I thought you'd be overjoyed, he fired Lindy, right?)

Golisano was and is a philanthropist for the area. He put money into the arena, too. Owners commit resources. So what? Money's not going to buy a Cup. Money won't matter until better hockey people are brought in and are given complete control. That's my main criticism. Terry as GM. The evidence for this has mounted. I'm not going to repeat it. I have a manila folder full of it. But for one Darcy just said Terry will decide the extent to which the team re-whatevers.

I just want to piggyback on this post.

It's not like the guy can stop everything and work only on the hockey team. And it's not like if he did stop everything and work only on the hockey team, that would increase the rate of success. Everyone wants Pegula to step aside and let the hockey people make the hockey decisions, and, at the same time, be critical when he diverts his own attention elsewhere? Silly.

I'm not sure where the sports bar criticism started, but if he opens a sports bar, so what? It's still local; it's not Hooters. Just because it's owned by someone with a lot of money doesn't mean it's not a local business. Last time I checked, Mark Croce still had a ton of dough, and Chop House is still a local restaurant.

It's too bad that the Sabres haven't won a Cup in the twenty-five months that Pegula has owned the team, and likely will not win one next year either. It's too bad for HIM, actually, since he's tied with the Knoxes for the best sports team owner this city ever has seen.

What, exactly, is it that those complaining want? Another Wilson? Snyder? Rich?

This guy is great. He's doing everything he can to put money not only into the team, but into the area. I can't believe that there are nay-sayers. I can understand (and disagree) with criticism about how he made his money, but I can't fathom, at all, the criticisms about how he's spending it. It seems like some people would rather have had him buy the Red Wings and work on developing downtown Detroit. Then we'd all be sitting here cursing our luck and still waiting for a benefactor.

Good post. The attitude of entitlement expressed by some here is ridiculous.

Golisano was and is a philanthropist for the area. He put money into the arena, too. Owners commit resources. So what? Money's not going to buy a Cup. Money won't matter until better hockey people are brought in and are given complete control. That's my main criticism. Terry as GM. The evidence for this has mounted. I'm not going to repeat it. I have a manila folder full of it. But for one Darcy just said Terry will decide the extent to which the team re-whatevers.

So beyond managing expectations, you believe that Terry Pegula is really the GM and that this isn't transparent to the public?

The issue Andrew is pointing out isn't not winning the Cup so far, it's going from confidently saying, "We're going to win a Cup, and then win another one" (paraphrase) and "Starting today..." and Ted Black several times referring to a "championship machine" to weak and defeatist-sounding statements about how rare it is to win one, how many decades it took this franchise to do it, and so on. It makes the initial famous declaration sound like something a PR guy suggested and not the backbone principle of the franchise.

Its about managing expectations. And I don't blame the guy one bit. He made an emotional speech when he bought the team and proclaimed a Stanley Cup within 3 years. What did that pronouncement get him? The most upset fanbase in the history of the team. So he's taken some good advice and they are now managing expectations. Of course it's PR. So what? What significant corporation doesn't use PR to their advantage?

I'll bitch about ownership when it looks like the team isn't trying. We've seen that before. Right now Pegula is a bit like a 2nd year defenseman growing into his role and learning to play at the big league level. He still makes rookie mistakes but he's getting alot better about being in position before the play actually happens.

Hearing Pegula utter clumsy, off-color remarks on the big day, you understood why Black and his PR troops would be reluctant to set him loose in public.

Pegula doesn’t have a clue.

But there’s an aloof, even flippant, quality to the man. It’s as if Pegula feels he should be above criticism from the media.

They should be applauded for resurrecting the Rigases’ vision for the Webster Block and proving things can get done quickly in this town.

I imagine the owner isn’t the only one who’s confused and wondering if something is backwards here.

Signed,

Sully

Its about managing expectations. And I don't blame the guy one bit. He made an emotional speech when he bought the team and proclaimed a Stanley Cup within 3 years. What did that pronouncement get him? The most upset fanbase in the history of the team. So he's taken some good advice and they are now managing expectations. Of course it's PR. So what? What significant corporation doesn't use PR to their advantage?

They are trying to thread the needle IMO. They don't want to say "rebuild" during a season. But that is clearly what needs to happen. We'll see if Buffalo has the stomach for it.

Ruhwedel joins Larsson, Hackett, Schaller, a 1st and four 2nds in less than a month.

I really think Darcy has won some kind of internal debate with Terry about how to build a team.

The free agent binge was Terry "the fan" playing with his new toy.

Now we're going to get Terry "the owner" building a team "the right way."

All the recent quotes from the FNC seem to support this.

Darcy has always followed the Bill Torrey model: assemble a core, let it grow together, fill in the missing pieces from outside the organization.

I actually agree with that philosophy, but it will be really hard to endure the rebuild, or put my faith in Darcy to do it.

You too? Come on. Stop the personal attacks and debate the points. "You're just trolling." "You're just miserable." "You're schizophrenic." Sounds like some of you are afraid I'm right about Terry.

I just like quoting "House".

So, he was right in telling the media to play nice? That's all it takes to build a winner? The right words?

Who cares what he says? As long as it looks like they are trying to change things around here then I don't care what they say. Baby steps. They fired Lindy after 16 years and Pominville is gone. What more do you want this year to show you that they are trying to build a winner?

Hearing Pegula utter clumsy, off-color remarks on the big day, you understood why Black and his PR troops would be reluctant to set him loose in public.

Pegula doesn’t have a clue.

But there’s an aloof, even flippant, quality to the man. It’s as if Pegula feels he should be above criticism from the media.

They should be applauded for resurrecting the Rigases’ vision for the Webster Block and proving things can get done quickly in this town.

I imagine the owner isn’t the only one who’s confused and wondering if something is backwards here.

Signed,

Sully

Sully, Esmonde, et al. will do everything in their power to bitch about progress and success in this town, which is why I don't read their columns anymore. I haven't read Esmonde in about ten years. Sully, about three. It's liberating.

Sully, Esmonde, et al. will do everything in their power to bitch about progress and success in this town, which is why I don't read their columns anymore. I haven't read Esmonde in about ten years. Sully, about three. It's liberating.

A quote from Thomas Sowell comes to mind:

"Think about the things that have improved our lives the most over the past century — medical advances, the transportation revolution, huge increases in consumer goods, dramatic improvements in housing, the computer revolution. The people who created these things — the doers — are not popular heroes. Our heroes are the talkers who complain about the doers.

Those who have created nothing have maintained a constant barrage of criticism of those who created something, because that something was considered to be not good enough or the benefits turned out to have costs."

"Think about the things that have improved our lives the most over the past century — medical advances, the transportation revolution, huge increases in consumer goods, dramatic improvements in housing, the computer revolution. The people who created these things — the doers — are not popular heroes. Our heroes are the talkers who complain about the doers.

Those who have created nothing have maintained a constant barrage of criticism of those who created something, because that something was considered to be not good enough or the benefits turned out to have costs."

That is fantastic.

So the person who is upset at "puck bunny" isn't afraid to casually toss around the names of mental illnesses to criticize hockey opinions?

That was a reference to a specific person who did not deserve the term being used to describe her. Mine was a reference to a collective bedevilment.

Actually, they don't have to do anything in their power. They merely have to write what they see.

I am not as knowledgeable as allot of you about the Sabres history, I grew up in Rochester with all my relatives living in Lackawanna and Blasdell. I was more a Bills fan growing up, I really got into hockey only 10 years ago, but I do know one thing. Golisano saved this franchise from certain death and Terry Pegula wants to be a winner. Isn't that enough to be grateful for a Sports team to rout for? So what if Pegs has to be one of the worst PR guys on earth, that's what he hired Ted Black for. As far as Harbor Center, I for one am not going to complain about the jobs he will create from this, as well as the exposure of hockey in Buffalo.

So I laugh when I hear the "experts" gripe about ownership.

Gripe about the players. After all "they" are the ones giving you a bad product, not TP. Some day he will get it about Marcy, and then we'll get a new GM and coach, until then I will watch every game, gripe about coaching, players and Marcy, but I will am thankful we have some one who is willing to invest so much in keeping Hockey in our hometown for years to come.

Not only that, but Jeremy Jacobs is the chairman of the NHL Board of Governers, recommended Regeir to the Rigas's for the GM position in Buffalo, gave 55 million of his own coin to seal the deal for the First Niagara Center and was the very reason the Sabres stayed in Buffalo.

Many people do not know these little facts.

Delaware North advanced $55 million in lieu of future revenue from the concessioin contract. While it was instrumental in closing the financing package on the arena, it was hardly a gift.

Yes, it was a life long dream to own the Sabres, but more importantly, New York is currently going semi-annual on it's moratorium votes on hydro-fracking. The very business Pegs was into in PA. He's been an advocate voice in the Senate energy hearings since he bought the Sabres. It doesn't hurt to spend the kind of money he is in the local communities that will see the largest benefits from the industry, even if that industry has been cited as a real danger to the more local communities in the southern counties where the drilling takes place. In short, the population centers in the region have more representation, and therefore, investing in them (i.e. Buffalo/Rochester) affords more leverage in the state capital in both houses.

The only thing really standing in his way is the representation from the NYC area, and with the financial situation in NY the way it is, they will eventually cave as well.

It's merely a matter of time before the NY public Union pension funds jump on board as lower roll's on those due lists equate to less overall income navigated to the funds.

Delaware North advanced $55 million in lieu of future revenue from the concessioin contract. While it was instrumental in closing the financing package on the arena, it was hardly a gift.

So beyond managing expectations, you believe that Terry Pegula is really the GM and that this isn't transparent to the public?

I wouldn't put it that literally. He's assumed some powers of the GM, yes. It's a conclusion I've drawn based on what I see and hear. Others may not want to see and hear. Let me ask you: who fired Lindy Ruff?

Actually, they don't have to do anything in their power. They merely have to write what they see.

When Esmonde wrote what he saw, the waterfront development was better for it.

I guess Terry created Earth as well as Hockey Heaven. He'd be nowhere without those oil and gas deposits, and the land to rape, and landowners who were desperate enough to sell cheap.

My favorite non-fiction writer. Thank you for this. It's perfect.

Ruhwedel joins Larsson, Hackett, Schaller, a 1st and four 2nds in less than a month.

I really think Darcy has won some kind of internal debate with Terry about how to build a team.

The free agent binge was Terry "the fan" playing with his new toy.

Now we're going to get Terry "the owner" building a team "the right way."

All the recent quotes from the FNC seem to support this.

Darcy has always followed the Bill Torrey model: assemble a core, let it grow together, fill in the missing pieces from outside the organization.

I actually agree with that philosophy, but it will be really hard to endure the rebuild, or put my faith in Darcy to do it.

Good post.

I'll bitch about ownership when it looks like the team isn't trying. We've seen that before. Right now Pegula is a bit like a 2nd year defenseman growing into his role and learning to play at the big league level. He still makes rookie mistakes but he's getting alot better about being in position before the play actually happens.

The reporters jumping all over Pegula on the day of the Harbor Center groundbreaking was stupid. It's a huge investment for him and one of the biggest investments in the city of the past few decades, but the reporters want to rile him up about why his hockey team isn't good? Get over yourselves, guys.

I do understand why they keep Pegula away from the press for the most part. He's not very good in front of a microphone -- and that goes all the way back to right when he bought the team and the people asking the questions were all in love with him.

Pegula is definitely trying. It hasn't worked so far, but he's doing a ton more than our last couple owners. To expect him to swoop in and get everything right in his first shot was silly. I got caught up in it like everyone else.

I wouldn't put it that literally. He's assumed some powers of the GM, yes. It's a conclusion I've drawn based on what I see and hear. Others may not want to see and hear. Let me ask you: who fired Lindy Ruff?

The general manager manages the owner's team. I'd be surprised if the owner wasn't brought in/ consulted, or often given final approval on bigger contracts, trades, hiring and firing of front office staff and coaching.

But I've never thought there was much Johnson in for Flutie going on (ouch, I hate it when I make a football reference) , Or I haven't seen much evidence that Darcy's hand has been forced by a limited budget, personnel decisions, or otherwise.

So less literally, you believe Pegula is too involved with his hockey team?

Archived