The Pegula Plan

Andrew Amerk

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2013/04/pegula-well-move-forward.html

If you get a chance, listen to the second audio "meeting with reporters."

Harrington sounds like a jackass, but I didn't like how TP sounded. Shedded a new light on my view of him. I know he didn't want to talk Sabres, and its been a frustrating season, but still...

"Jerry Jacobs down the road took 39 years to win a Stanley Cup. I don't know how long," Pegula said. "How can you guarantee anybody anything? You do your best every year. When's the last time the New England Patriots won the Stanley Cup? Or the Super Bowl?"

I reminded Pegula the Pats don't regularly miss the playoffs and he said, "Well, hey."

Who is Jerry Jacobs? Are we adding 39 years on top of the current 43? Good grief.

http://blogs.buffalo...ve-forward.html

If you get a chance, listen to the second audio "meeting with reporters."

Harrington sounds like a jackass, but I didn't like how TP sounded. Shedded a new light on my view of him. I know he didn't want to talk Sabres, and its been a frustrating season, but still...

"Jerry Jacobs down the road took 39 years to win a Stanley Cup. I don't know how long," Pegula said. "How can you guarantee anybody anything? You do your best every year. When's the last time the New England Patriots won the Stanley Cup? Or the Super Bowl?"

I reminded Pegula the Pats don't regularly miss the playoffs and he said, "Well, hey."

Who is Jerry Jacobs? Are we adding 39 years on top of the current 43? Good grief.

'Jerry' Jacobs is the owner of Delaware North (parent company of the Bruins and SportsService - concession provider for Buffalo sports teams). He's had his teams competitive forever (minus a couple of years - getting to draft Thornton being 1 of the few down years) and actually has 2 SC wins since the Sabres came into being. The 2nd being quite recent.

'Jerry' Jacobs is the owner of Delaware North (parent company of the Bruins and SportsService - concession provider for Buffalo sports teams). He's had his teams competitive forever (minus a couple of years - getting to draft Thornton being 1 of the few down years) and actually has 2 SC wins since the Sabres came into being. The 2nd being quite recent.

Isn't his name Jeremy?

Gotcha.

I thought he bought the B's in 75, so he has just 1 cup win, amirite?

Could be. Too tired and lazy to look up when he bought them. I thought it was earlier in the decade, but '75 could be right. Either way, it was a LONG time between cup wins for the B's.

Could be. Too tired and lazy to look up when he bought them. I thought it was earlier in the decade, but '75 could be right. Either way, it was a LONG time between cup wins for the B's.

Well, at least they have won one in the last 4 decades.

Is Pegs really comfortable with waiting 39 years? He will be 101 years old in 2052.

Is Pegs really comfortable with waiting 39 years? He will be 101 years old in 2052.

You misunderstood. It's a 3.9 year plan. They'll win the SC in January '15. Oddly enough they'll be so far ahead of the rest of the league by then that even Illitch will concede. Leonsis won't, but after 'Jerry' Jacobs gives him an 'atomic wedgie' there will be harmony in the league and the Sabres will be awarded the SC they rightly should have been allowed to win in '99.

Mike Gilbert was trying to get the muzzle onto Pegula the second he opened his mouth.

Same machine......

Well hey.....at least we all get to go to open skate downtown on Wednesdays from 11-1 and Thursdays from 3-6.....and a really nice sports bar to take away business from the 12 other mom and pops...

Oh, c'mon Dwight, let's have some fun w/ this.

"We'll see........"

Exactly.

I guess I wanted to hear some confidence from the owner, not someone mirroring an attitude that reflects the play on the ice.

He went from "we will win the Cup within 3 years" to "it took Jacobs 39 years, so give me a break."

Mike Gilbert was trying to get the muzzle onto Pegula the second he opened his mouth.

Same machine......

Well hey.....at least we all get to go to open skate downtown on Wednesdays from 11-1 and Thursdays from 3-6.....and a really nice sports bar to take away business from the 12 other mom and pops...

take away, or add to? There truly isn't a lot of foot traffic in the area. The bars in cobblestone are actually looking forward to its completion.

Not only that, but Jeremy Jacobs is the chairman of the NHL Board of Governers, recommended Regeir to the Rigas's for the GM position in Buffalo, gave 55 million of his own coin to seal the deal for the First Niagara Center and was the very reason the Sabres stayed in Buffalo.

Many people do not know these little facts.

Yes, it was a life long dream to own the Sabres, but more importantly, New York is currently going semi-annual on it's moratorium votes on hydro-fracking. The very business Pegs was into in PA. He's been an advocate voice in the Senate energy hearings since he bought the Sabres. It doesn't hurt to spend the kind of money he is in the local communities that will see the largest benefits from the industry, even if that industry has been cited as a real danger to the more local communities in the southern counties where the drilling takes place. In short, the population centers in the region have more representation, and therefore, investing in them (i.e. Buffalo/Rochester) affords more leverage in the state capital in both houses.

The only thing really standing in his way is the representation from the NYC area, and with the financial situation in NY the way it is, they will eventually cave as well.

It's merely a matter of time before the NY public Union pension funds jump on board as lower roll's on those due lists equate to less overall income navigated to the funds.

Not only that, but Jeremy Jacobs is the chairman of the NHL Board of Governers, recommended Regeir to the Rigas's for the GM position in Buffalo, gave 55 million of his own coin to seal the deal for the First Niagara Center and was the very reason the Sabres stayed in Buffalo.

Many people do not know these little facts.

Doesn't he live in WNY as well? As far as him keeping the Sabres in Buffalo, that was just a smart business decision. Have you seen the size of the average Sabres fan? He runs the concessions. Of course, he wants to keep a team in Buffalo.

Very good, Andrew and Hopeful. Now we're waking up. Terry hasn't said one impressive thing since, "Starting today..." Talk about an empty suit. Hockey-wise, there's no one home. You wonder who's at home all when he says things like, “I’m a little confused, I’m sitting on the stage between Mayor Brown and Ted Black, yet I look over there, and I’m wondering, is something backwards here?"

BTW, this isn't the first time he's made a wishy-washy comment about winning the Cup since his initial declaration. He's used the "only one team wins the Cup" line before, and he's talked about how long it took Boston, Chicago, LA to win.

Taro, I don't see the opportunity for humor when we're in danger of going 0-3 on owners since the Knoxes died off/were bought out. Hell, I'd take OSP back in a heartbeat — if Quinn stayed away, of course.

Very good, Andrew and Hopeful. Now we're waking up. Terry hasn't said one impressive thing since, "Starting today..." Talk about an empty suit. Hockey-wise, there's no one home. You wonder who's at home all when he says things like, “I’m a little confused, I’m sitting on the stage between Mayor Brown and Ted Black, yet I look over there, and I’m wondering, is something backwards here?"

BTW, this isn't the first time he's made a wishy-washy comment about winning the Cup since his initial declaration. He's used the "only one team wins the Cup" line before, and he's talked about how long it took Boston, Chicago, LA to win.

Taro, I don't see the opportunity for humor when we're in danger of going 0-3 on owners since the Knoxes died off/were bought out. Hell, I'd take OSP back in a heartbeat — if Quinn stayed away, of course.

I don't get it. A guy buys the team and commits his own resources to the franchise, and the surrounding area. The main criticism is that he has kept Regier on as GM. The second is that he has a frosty relationship with the media.

What precisely bothers you about the guy? Would you rather have a conglomerate own the team? The team needs to be recast, of course, but what is the role of owner beyond that? I sincerely want to know. (I thought you'd be overjoyed, he fired Lindy, right?)

I don't get it. A guy buys the team and commits his own resources to the franchise, and the surrounding area. The main criticism is that he has kept Regier on as GM. The second is that he has a frosty relationship with the media.

What precisely bothers you about the guy? Would you rather have a conglomerate own the team? The team needs to be recast, of course, but what is the role of owner beyond that? I sincerely want to know. (I thought you'd be overjoyed, he fired Lindy, right?)

Yeah. I don't get it either.

I'm not sure what is worse, TP making comments about the Cup, or people buying into them. Did anyone really believe the Sabres would win the Cup in three years when he said that? In the end, having TP as our owner is a good thing.

"I was a fan. I'm an owner now". "You've got to take the emotion out of it." -TPegs

Isn't this exactly what many on this board and the Buffalo News wanted to hear? Stop being emotionally attached to the players and be an OWNER. I'm not worried and still thrilled that TPegs owns the Sabres.

This place irritates me at times. So many people on here are guilty of the same thing they blame TP for, being emotional about things rather than rational. Talk about hypocrits..

If I'm TP I'm realizing now that the information I gathered when I purchased the team might not have been as sparkly as it was made out to be. I'd be irritated but I'd be looking to do something about it. The man made a massive financial commitment to the team and has made even more financial commitments to the area. For an area is DIRE NEED of improvements I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

There are comments on here, now he'll have a sports bar to take money away from the Mom & Pops. The last time i checked that was the point of business, to be competitive. There are people who are going to go to a locally owned venue regardless and if the sports bar in HarborCentre is locally owned, then what of it?

The guy is investing his money into the development of youth hockey in the region. He's invested in bringing the farm team back to Rochester and owning them. They are now going to be operating Blue Cross Arena as well. So he's extending his money into the Rochester region.

Yet we want to sit here and blast him because NOW he's backed off this 3 year plan (which we all said was crap to begin with). Give it a break already. It's everyone's right to be a miserable jerk-off about everything but what is the goal of being that way? I'm certainly getting to the point where I don't even want to bother checking the forum anymore.

Archived