New Captain?

Patty16

No one this year. They'll put on A on someone. Ott would be the logical choice based on most posts around here, but as some mention you don't really want your agitator to also be your interface with the refs.

With Ott at Captain, Sabres will run the table going 13-0 and fall short of the playoffs leaving the fans hopeful for next year... And the Buffalo sports fan cycle continues.

Vanek has said he won't sign an extension so screw him. Ott all the way.

I don't think he said he wouldn't sign an extension, he said he wanted to know if this was going to be a short or long rebuilding. I can't really blame him. He could easily get to some cup contender in the next year or so if the Sabres look like they are simply rebuilding and don't have some plan to become competitors again.

Do agree on Ott however.

Why make Ott captain? He's just deadline fodder next year. Give it to Hodgson and let the rebuild commence.

I don't think so. Unless his game seriously regresses by the deadline next season, he's totally the leader for a new-look Buffalo.

I can't see Hodgson being any better a captain than Pominville has been. Character means everything for that assignment.

I don't think so. Unless his game seriously regresses by the deadline next season, he's totally the leader for a new-look Buffalo.

I can't see Hodgson being any better a captain than Pominville has been. Character means everything for that assignment.

What I meant was, if this is a full-on rebuild, what makes anyone think Ott will want to stick around? He'll be a UFA next summer at 31, my guess is he wants to have a shot at winning. And I'm not sure how you can questions Pommer's character...leadership fine, but character? Maybe you meant something else.

I do mean "character". I think it's pretty clear Pominville's type of character has no impact on the players; it's been clear his character is about as flat as Rolston's in interviews. He bitched in French about Lindy to foreign press, but couldn't bring himself to say the same in English to the local press.

He's a loyal soldier, but not a leader of men. That's how I read him, and I think he's been ineffective as a captain to be fair.

Ott seems to me to be the kind of person who will make the best where-ever he is at, and since he has a family he may not want to move around more. Frankly, I think Ott may very well be into the idea of trying lead a team on a Cup run. And if Weber is staying, then Ott may want to stay.

Unfortunately, I can not quantify it all, just impressions I have gathered over time and have synthesized them into the above thoughts.

Archived