New Captain?

Patty16

Im surprised nobody has raised this name, but I guess I'll be the first. The C should go to Foligno, easily, IMPO.

1) He's here for the rebuild, like someone mentioned Hodgson was

2) HE"LL STICK UP FOR HIS TEAMATES-something Pommers nor Hodgson will/have done

3) He's not an agitator, ie. Ott, so he'll have respect

4) He's not likely to be moved soon, as opposed to the possibility of Ott

5) Has talent, can be respected for his scoring as well as his prescence

The only problem I see with giving it to him is he's young, but Landaskcog (that even close?) was given one too, younger as well

Im surprised nobody has raised this name, but I guess I'll be the first. The C should go to Foligno, easily, IMPO.

The only problem I see with giving it to him is he's young, but Landaskcog (that even close?) was given one too, younger as well

He's also a kid that's been struggling a fair bit this year.

I do mean "character". I think it's pretty clear Pominville's type of character has no impact on the players; it's been clear his character is about as flat as Rolston's in interviews. He bitched in French about Lindy to foreign press, but couldn't bring himself to say the same in English to the local press.

He's a loyal soldier, but not a leader of men. That's how I read him, and I think he's been ineffective as a captain to be fair.

Ott seems to me to be the kind of person who will make the best where-ever he is at, and since he has a family he may not want to move around more. Frankly, I think Ott may very well be into the idea of trying lead a team on a Cup run. And if Weber is staying, then Ott may want to stay.

Unfortunately, I can not quantify it all, just impressions I have gathered over time and have synthesized them into the above thoughts.

:blink:

He's also a kid that's been struggling a fair bit this year.

I love, I mean love Marcus Foligno but in no way is he poised to be captain. Five years from now, if he develops into a steady offensive player sure.

Both are good posts, and you're right; my thought is, if we chosoe Ott, we have the possibility of inducing a revolving door at captaincy, which would be horrible. If we choose Hodgson, we have Pommers all over again, perhaps slightly more whiney/less work-ethic. To avoid these two, Foligno was the only person who came to mind; that and his attributes as a teamate were agreeable for the position. But, you're right in that he is very young, and struggling no less.

Not sure I get that line of thought. A Captain is supposed to lead his team, it doesn't matter if, or how much, opponents respect and/or like him.

Also, others have posted about not having an instigator wear the C. Why not? It's not like he's out there roughing up officials. And even if he could give it to them the way he does opponents, it wouldn't matter - they just get clarification on calls and relay them to the bench, captains do not win arguments with officials in hockey. Captains ask questions, captains lobby, but they don't reverse calls.

Whether Otter gets the C or not, I don't know, but if he doesn't, it will have everything to do with his personality in the room and around his teammates and absolutely nothing to do with his goals, assists, style of play, or PIMS.

I do mean "character". I think it's pretty clear Pominville's type of character has no impact on the players; it's been clear his character is about as flat as Rolston's in interviews. He bitched in French about Lindy to foreign press, but couldn't bring himself to say the same in English to the local press.

He's a loyal soldier, but not a leader of men. That's how I read him, and I think he's been ineffective as a captain to be fair.

Ott seems to me to be the kind of person who will make the best where-ever he is at, and since he has a family he may not want to move around more. Frankly, I think Ott may very well be into the idea of trying lead a team on a Cup run. And if Weber is staying, then Ott may want to stay.

Unfortunately, I can not quantify it all, just impressions I have gathered over time and have synthesized them into the above thoughts.

That's not true, Pominville never talk bad about Ruff in french and he's not the type of guy who would do something like that. But i agree that Ott should be captain.

Let them vote on it.

I know, I say this every time there's a vacancy.

I tend to lean towards this option as well. Without some of the players I still want off this team I am not so sure.

Didn't last time this happened they voted Rivet the 'C" like after only month and half of playing with him. In hindsight that said a lot about the core of the team at that time.

Factoring in experience and consistent play my head says the Hoff but my heart says Ott.

Foligno has been an AHL player at best this season. No way should he sniff captaincy until he sorts his game out. People want a leader with passion, i'm not that bothered, I don't pretend to know what the lockerroom is like but the best captains in the league (Alfie, Lidstrom etc.) are rarely fiery men

Archived